DNS setting for forest and child DCs

How do I configure the client DNS settings for these DCs? Or what is the best
way?

DC1.domain.com (site A) --- Its primary client DNS settings point to it
self. I'm assuming this is correct because is the first AD DNS integrated
domain. How about the secondary? Should it be blank?

DC2.domain.com (site B) --- Should its primary DNS setting point to itself
or DC1 IP address? How about secondary(alternate) DNS setting?

Child_DC1.child1.domain.com (site A) --- Primary DNS should point to DC1 or
itself? How about altenate DNS?
Child_DC2.child1.domain.com (site B) --- Primary DNS should point to DC2 or
itself? How about altenate DNS?

I have read two aricles at MS web site that contradicts them selves. One
says to pint to itself always and the other one says if you do this way it
may cause a DNS island problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
tnx
1 answer Last reply
More about setting forest child

    I find that populating both DNS Addresses in a cross over fassion (server A
    points to Server B as primary and server A as secondary, Server B points to
    Server A as Primary and server B as secondary) has always given me the
    fewest problems, in this config when a server is booting up it has the
    ability of accessing a DNS server even if its own DNS service has not loaded
    up yet..

    Jay

    "marcelovn" <marcelovn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I configure the client DNS settings for these DCs? Or what is the
    best
    > way?
    >
    > DC1.domain.com (site A) --- Its primary client DNS settings point to it
    > self. I'm assuming this is correct because is the first AD DNS integrated
    > domain. How about the secondary? Should it be blank?
    >
    > DC2.domain.com (site B) --- Should its primary DNS setting point to itself
    > or DC1 IP address? How about secondary(alternate) DNS setting?
    >
    > Child_DC1.child1.domain.com (site A) --- Primary DNS should point to DC1
    or
    > itself? How about altenate DNS?
    > Child_DC2.child1.domain.com (site B) --- Primary DNS should point to DC2
    or
    > itself? How about altenate DNS?
    >
    > I have read two aricles at MS web site that contradicts them selves. One
    > says to pint to itself always and the other one says if you do this way it
    > may cause a DNS island problem.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    > tnx

Domain Configuration DNS Windows