Overclocking Macbook

MacLover3541

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
hey everyone I'm kind of new to the whole overclocking thing but I was wondering could I overclock my macbook with the 2 ghz processor?

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
hahahahahaha overclock a macbook?!? what for?!? hahahaha ok sorry, i really am sorry... but the guy before was right, overclocking a laptop is a bad idea, and is most likely completely impossible... well i wouldnt say that... im going to say its completely impossible to do right. You would have to use third-party software that would overclock your system... maybe... if it exists... for a mac... but... even if you could find that software and you were able to get it to work... your tiny little macbook would probably melt away because laptops have very restricted airflow. On my HP 9600 I used to UNDER clock it because it would get crazy loud from the fans trying to cool the GPU. I just strongly suggest you dont overclock a macbook, if it was even possible.

Educatedonthate

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
The lack of education on overclocking is what causes computers to melt and it seems that your reply did not give any incite into why he shouldnt besides the fact it could "melt". You shouldnt laugh at him because the only thing funny is your ignorance. He was seeking knowledge.

I have a macbook and it runs around 120F on stock clock just working normal, I will get to 145F if I am running several programs and a video full screen....I could definitely overclock it to get some gains. But you want to look at what you want your end goals to be. You can compromised computer life by overclocking. Most to the time when you overclock you also have to increase voltage. Increased voltage and more processes done in the same amount of time compared to before will result in extra heat. Though you can do this in moderation and have little extra heat created. Even some times you can overclock a processor or memory a little and never have to increase voltage to get stability. My advice to you is to look at what your ultimate goal is and what you will have to sacrifice to get those gains. Keep doing your research though because the programs and information are out there.

Well, let's see:

There. It wasn't hard to find the "inciteful" parts.

Besides, everyone knows that Macs are perfect and just do not need overclocking.