udp packets and ftp.nai.com

Blake

Because our PIX will not support large UDP packets, I have applied the
stanard fix:

dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0

However, now I cannot resolve ftp.nai.com.

In my cached zone, there is an FTP zone beneath the NAI zone.

The FTP.NAI.COM zone has no A records, just 2 NS records. Anybody seen this
behavior??

Blake

In news:O9V0EenwEHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Blake <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Because our PIX will not support large UDP packets, I
> have applied the stanard fix:
>
> dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0
>
> However, now I cannot resolve ftp.nai.com.
>
> In my cached zone, there is an FTP zone beneath the NAI
> zone.
>
> The FTP.NAI.COM zone has no A records, just 2 NS records.
> Anybody seen this behavior??

QUESTION SECTION:
ftp.nai.com. IN A

ANSWER SECTION:
ftp.nai.com. 15 IN CNAME ftp.nai.speedera.net.
ftp.nai.speedera.net. 59 IN A 63.209.221.236
ftp.nai.speedera.net. 59 IN A 208.254.18.148

Query time: 290 ms
Server : 192.168.0.2:53 udp (192.168.0.2)
When : 11/4/2004 11:11:49 AM
Size rcvd : 95

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Blake

So NAI is aliasing the FTP host via a CNAME?

I assume MS DNS (2k3) can handle that OK??

Blake

In news:uSKXEypwEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Blake <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> So NAI is aliasing the FTP host via a CNAME?
>
> I assume MS DNS (2k3) can handle that OK??

Yes, it can.

I think the problem is in your PIX firewall, I'd fix that. I know you said
you disabled EDNS, when you ran the command did it apply successfully? That,
is the recommended fix.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

obiwan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> Because our PIX will not support large UDP packets,
> I have applied the stanard fix:

> dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0

hm ... not sure, but if I recall it correctly the above
should just tell to the DNS to avoid checking ext
servers for EDNS support; this in turn means that
query answers not fitting a single (standard) UDP
packet will be retried using TCP .. does your PIX
allow DNS traffic on TCP ?

--

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Blake

It works fine for other look ups. Just not this host.

These servers/configs have been in place for a couple years.

"ObiWan" <obiwan@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Because our PIX will not support large UDP packets,
>> I have applied the stanard fix:
>
>> dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0
>
> hm ... not sure, but if I recall it correctly the above
> should just tell to the DNS to avoid checking ext
> servers for EDNS support; this in turn means that
> query answers not fitting a single (standard) UDP
> packet will be retried using TCP .. does your PIX
> allow DNS traffic on TCP ?
>

> --
>
> * ObiWan
>
> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Blake

Something has changed on NAI's DNS info - this is working now, they have an
A record in the ftp.nai.com zone

Thanks

Blake
"ObiWan" <obiwan@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Because our PIX will not support large UDP packets,
>> I have applied the stanard fix:
>
>> dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0
>
> hm ... not sure, but if I recall it correctly the above
> should just tell to the DNS to avoid checking ext
> servers for EDNS support; this in turn means that
> query answers not fitting a single (standard) UDP
> packet will be retried using TCP .. does your PIX
> allow DNS traffic on TCP ?
>

> --
>
> * ObiWan
>
> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

I told you this morning that this was NOT "your problem" to fix.

--

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Yesterday? -anon
"Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Something has changed on NAI's DNS info - this is working now, they have
an
> A record in the ftp.nai.com zone
>
> Thanks
>
> Blake
> "ObiWan" <obiwan@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Because our PIX will not support large UDP packets,
> >> I have applied the stanard fix:
> >
> >> dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0
> >
> > hm ... not sure, but if I recall it correctly the above
> > should just tell to the DNS to avoid checking ext
> > servers for EDNS support; this in turn means that
> > query answers not fitting a single (standard) UDP
> > packet will be retried using TCP .. does your PIX
> > allow DNS traffic on TCP ?
> >

> > --
> >
> > * ObiWan
> >
> > Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

the stanard fix:</p>
No you haven't.  You've applied the <a
href="http://homepages.tesco.net./%7EJ.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-edns0-and-firewalls.html#LocalFix">local
fix</a>, not the <a
href="http://homepages.tesco.net./%7EJ.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-edns0-and-firewalls.html#ServiceFix">service
fix</a>.<br>
The owners of <samp>nai.com.</samp> are publishing
mutually-contradictory data at the moment.  This is not your problem.<br>

I had the exact same problem, and here is what fixed it for me:

Microsoft KB article 873430 describes the problem and the hotfix that
is available. I called Microsoft, and they emailed me the hotfix
immediately, and it solved the problem. I can now resolve
ftp.nai.com.