A DNS Question, IP Connection config and forwarder

Hi there,

We have a small network, which is connected to the Internet through an ADSL
modem/router. The router's IP is 192.168.0.1.

Question 1 (IP connection config):

When I'm adding DC and DNS role to our Win2k3 server (there's no other DC in
the network), the wizard lets me set a static IP (which I understand), I
configured as follows:
IP address: 192.168.0.6
Subnet masks: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.6
I don't know what I should put to the preferred DNS server. Initianlly, I
used the DNS server provided by our ADSL ISP (e.g., 202.154.83.53), but that
didn't seem to work properly, and I saw some errors in the event viewer.
Then I changed to the IP address of the Win2k3 server itself, which is
192.168.0.6, and it seems working fine. I'm wondering if this setting is
correct? If not, what should I put?

Question 2 (forwarders):

In the DSN properties' forwarders tab, I think I should add the ISP's DNS
server as forwarder. However, if I don't add anything in to the forwarder IP
address list, the domain name resolution still works fine. I used the
Network Monitor to investigate it and found it's using the IP addresses
listed in the Root Hints as forwarders. Could you please explain this to me?

Thanks a lot!!
4 answers Last reply
More about question connection config forwarder

    > I don't know what I should put to the preferred DNS server. Initianlly, I
    > used the DNS server provided by our ADSL ISP (e.g., 202.154.83.53), but
    that
    > didn't seem to work properly, and I saw some errors in the event viewer.
    > Then I changed to the IP address of the Win2k3 server itself, which is
    > 192.168.0.6, and it seems working fine. I'm wondering if this setting is
    > correct? If not, what should I put?

    You need to point the DNS server to itself. This will allow it to register
    the SRV records all AD clients must find.

    > In the DSN properties' forwarders tab, I think I should add the ISP's DNS
    > server as forwarder. However, if I don't add anything in to the forwarder
    IP
    > address list, the domain name resolution still works fine. I used the
    > Network Monitor to investigate it and found it's using the IP addresses
    > listed in the Root Hints as forwarders. Could you please explain this to
    me?

    For Internet access you can use either forwarding or root hints.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Lei Hu" <leihu@nojunk.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > We have a small network, which is connected to the Internet through an
    ADSL
    > modem/router. The router's IP is 192.168.0.1.
    >
    > Question 1 (IP connection config):
    >
    > When I'm adding DC and DNS role to our Win2k3 server (there's no other DC
    in
    > the network), the wizard lets me set a static IP (which I understand), I
    > configured as follows:
    > IP address: 192.168.0.6
    > Subnet masks: 255.255.255.0
    > Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    > Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.6
    > I don't know what I should put to the preferred DNS server. Initianlly, I
    > used the DNS server provided by our ADSL ISP (e.g., 202.154.83.53), but
    that
    > didn't seem to work properly, and I saw some errors in the event viewer.
    > Then I changed to the IP address of the Win2k3 server itself, which is
    > 192.168.0.6, and it seems working fine. I'm wondering if this setting is
    > correct? If not, what should I put?
    >
    > Question 2 (forwarders):
    >
    > In the DSN properties' forwarders tab, I think I should add the ISP's DNS
    > server as forwarder. However, if I don't add anything in to the forwarder
    IP
    > address list, the domain name resolution still works fine. I used the
    > Network Monitor to investigate it and found it's using the IP addresses
    > listed in the Root Hints as forwarders. Could you please explain this to
    me?

    > Thanks a lot!!

    Hi Danny,

    Thanks for your reply!!

    So for question 1, Is my setting (to 192.168.0.6) THE correct solution, or
    there's another solution which is better?
    For question 2, which one is better? Just use Root Hints, or better to add
    ISP's DNS as a forwarder?

    Sorry for being stupid. Because once I set it up, I cannot never change it
    later, I must get it right for the first time.

    Thanks once again!!

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
    >> I don't know what I should put to the preferred DNS server. Initianlly, I
    >> used the DNS server provided by our ADSL ISP (e.g., 202.154.83.53), but
    > that
    >> didn't seem to work properly, and I saw some errors in the event viewer.
    >> Then I changed to the IP address of the Win2k3 server itself, which is
    >> 192.168.0.6, and it seems working fine. I'm wondering if this setting is
    >> correct? If not, what should I put?
    >

    > You need to point the DNS server to itself. This will allow it to register
    > the SRV records all AD clients must find.
    >

    >> In the DSN properties' forwarders tab, I think I should add the ISP's DNS
    >> server as forwarder. However, if I don't add anything in to the forwarder
    > IP
    >> address list, the domain name resolution still works fine. I used the
    >> Network Monitor to investigate it and found it's using the IP addresses
    >> listed in the Root Hints as forwarders. Could you please explain this to
    > me?
    >

    > For Internet access you can use either forwarding or root hints.
    >

    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "Lei Hu" <leihu@nojunk.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> We have a small network, which is connected to the Internet through an
    > ADSL
    >> modem/router. The router's IP is 192.168.0.1.
    >>
    >> Question 1 (IP connection config):
    >>
    >> When I'm adding DC and DNS role to our Win2k3 server (there's no other DC
    > in
    >> the network), the wizard lets me set a static IP (which I understand), I
    >> configured as follows:
    >> IP address: 192.168.0.6
    >> Subnet masks: 255.255.255.0
    >> Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    >> Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.6
    >> I don't know what I should put to the preferred DNS server. Initianlly, I
    >> used the DNS server provided by our ADSL ISP (e.g., 202.154.83.53), but
    > that
    >> didn't seem to work properly, and I saw some errors in the event viewer.
    >> Then I changed to the IP address of the Win2k3 server itself, which is
    >> 192.168.0.6, and it seems working fine. I'm wondering if this setting is
    >> correct? If not, what should I put?
    >>
    >> Question 2 (forwarders):
    >>
    >> In the DSN properties' forwarders tab, I think I should add the ISP's DNS
    >> server as forwarder. However, if I don't add anything in to the forwarder
    > IP
    >> address list, the domain name resolution still works fine. I used the
    >> Network Monitor to investigate it and found it's using the IP addresses
    >> listed in the Root Hints as forwarders. Could you please explain this to
    > me?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot!!

    So for question 1, Is my setting (to 192.168.0.6) THE correct solution, or
    > there's another solution which is better?

    The fact is AD DCs MUST register SRV records in the same place your AD
    clients are looking for them (they must use the same DNS server). There is
    nothing that says that DNS server MUST be a Win 2k DC. You an have a BIND
    DNS server that you use for the AD domain. The AD DC MUST point to the BIND
    server along with all AD clients.

    In your set up your DC is the DNS server, your DC MUST point to the DNS
    server for your AD domain. In your case it just happens to be itself. Your
    AD clients MUST point to the location where your AD DCs have their SRV
    records registered. In your case, your DC.
    In your set up this is correct and this is the ONLY solution.

    > For question 2, which one is better? Just use Root Hints, or better to add
    > ISP's DNS as a forwarder?

    In most cases it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. If your ISP's DNS
    servers are up and down on a regular basis it would be to your advantage to
    use root hints. AFAIK using either way is not going to back you into a
    corner where you can't switch. I would test each for a week or two and see
    if there is a performance difference.

> [...]
    > > that
    > >> didn't seem to work properly, and I saw some errors in the event
    viewer.
    > >> Then I changed to the IP address of the Win2k3 server itself, which is
    > >> 192.168.0.6, and it seems working fine. I'm wondering if this setting
    is
    > >> correct? If not, what should I put?
    > >>
    > >> Question 2 (forwarders):
    > >>
    > >> In the DSN properties' forwarders tab, I think I should add the ISP's
    DNS
    > >> server as forwarder. However, if I don't add anything in to the
    forwarder
    > > IP
    > >> address list, the domain name resolution still works fine. I used the
    > >> Network Monitor to investigate it and found it's using the IP addresses
    > >> listed in the Root Hints as forwarders. Could you please explain this

    Danny, many thinks!!

> [...]
    >> For question 2, which one is better? Just use Root Hints, or better to
    >> add
    >> ISP's DNS as a forwarder?
    >>
    >> Sorry for being stupid. Because once I set it up, I cannot never change
    >> it
    >> later, I must get it right for the first time.
    >>
    >> Thanks once again!!
    >>
    >> "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
    >> > that
    > viewer.
    > is
    >> >

    >> > You need to point the DNS server to itself. This will allow it to
    > register
    >> > the SRV records all AD clients must find.

    > DNS
    > forwarder
    >> > IP
    >> > me?
    >> >

    >> > For Internet access you can use either forwarding or root hints.

IP Configuration DNS Windows