iPAQ3715 Internet Access via USB BT dongle

January 1, 2005 12:50:01 AM

Greetings,

I have just purchased one of these Bluetooth USB Adaptors (mine is a CSR
model using WIDDCOM driver 1.4.2.8). I have been trying unsucessfully today
to get internet access from my new HP iPAQ rx3715.

My PC is running XP Pro SP2 with a Netgear R0318 Security Router (with Ntl
SURFboard SB4100 Cable Modem).

I notice several BB's and web pages that discuss the configuration process.
Installing the USB Bluetooth software, pairing your devices (PC & PDA),
setting up your TCPIP addressing (Bridging your LAN and Bluetooth
connections - for DHCP via Router) and then adding the required services to
your iPAQ Bluetooth Manager. I have been able to synchronise, send and
receive data over bluetooth but on selecting 'Internet via <PC Name>' I
continually receive the message 'Unable to initiate the bluetooth connection
(Error code: 0x81000196). I think it's a problem with IP addressing between
my IPS, Netgear Router and my XP SP2 PC.

Can anyone help/suggest a good source of material to help me? I am quite
technically proficient although bluetooth connectivity is a new area for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Gary (UK Northants).

PS Happy New Year!!
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:59:59 PM

Gary, please check the steps on this page:

Things that will cause problems:

- ICS requires 192.168.0.1 to work. If this address is already in use in
your network, things will not work.
- Personal Firewall. Zone Alarm must be set to medium, proper rules must be
created on Norton, XP SP2 should be set to allow communications for
Bluetooth software.
- If using Windows XP SP2 you might be using the standard MS Bluetooth
software by mistake. Check if this is not the case. If you need to change
the drivers, follow the advice in this post:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=...

"Garys_iPAQ" <gary_blackwell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o Dl1tK47EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Greetings,
>
> I have just purchased one of these Bluetooth USB Adaptors (mine is a CSR
> model using WIDDCOM driver 1.4.2.8). I have been trying unsucessfully
> today to get internet access from my new HP iPAQ rx3715.
>
> My PC is running XP Pro SP2 with a Netgear R0318 Security Router (with Ntl
> SURFboard SB4100 Cable Modem).
>
> I notice several BB's and web pages that discuss the configuration
> process. Installing the USB Bluetooth software, pairing your devices (PC &
> PDA), setting up your TCPIP addressing (Bridging your LAN and Bluetooth
> connections - for DHCP via Router) and then adding the required services
> to your iPAQ Bluetooth Manager. I have been able to synchronise, send and
> receive data over bluetooth but on selecting 'Internet via <PC Name>' I
> continually receive the message 'Unable to initiate the bluetooth
> connection (Error code: 0x81000196). I think it's a problem with IP
> addressing between my IPS, Netgear Router and my XP SP2 PC.
>
> Can anyone help/suggest a good source of material to help me? I am quite
> technically proficient although bluetooth connectivity is a new area for
> me.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Gary (UK Northants).
>
> PS Happy New Year!!

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:00:00 PM

Thank you Mauricio, I will start afresh and follow this web pages
instructions and then update this post with my findings.

Happy New Years to you and yours!

Gary

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Gary, please check the steps on this page:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1421
>
> Things that will cause problems:
>
> - ICS requires 192.168.0.1 to work. If this address is already in use in
> your network, things will not work.
> - Personal Firewall. Zone Alarm must be set to medium, proper rules must
> be created on Norton, XP SP2 should be set to allow communications for
> Bluetooth software.
> - If using Windows XP SP2 you might be using the standard MS Bluetooth
> software by mistake. Check if this is not the case. If you need to change
> the drivers, follow the advice in this post:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=...

> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
> they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344
>

> "Garys_iPAQ" <gary_blackwell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o Dl1tK47EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have just purchased one of these Bluetooth USB Adaptors (mine is a CSR
>> model using WIDDCOM driver 1.4.2.8). I have been trying unsucessfully
>> today to get internet access from my new HP iPAQ rx3715.
>>
>> My PC is running XP Pro SP2 with a Netgear R0318 Security Router (with
>> Ntl SURFboard SB4100 Cable Modem).
>>
>> I notice several BB's and web pages that discuss the configuration
>> process. Installing the USB Bluetooth software, pairing your devices (PC
>> & PDA), setting up your TCPIP addressing (Bridging your LAN and Bluetooth
>> connections - for DHCP via Router) and then adding the required services
>> to your iPAQ Bluetooth Manager. I have been able to synchronise, send and
>> receive data over bluetooth but on selecting 'Internet via <PC Name>' I
>> continually receive the message 'Unable to initiate the bluetooth
>> connection (Error code: 0x81000196). I think it's a problem with IP
>> addressing between my IPS, Netgear Router and my XP SP2 PC.
>>
>> Can anyone help/suggest a good source of material to help me? I am quite
>> technically proficient although bluetooth connectivity is a new area for
>> me.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Gary (UK Northants).
>>
>> PS Happy New Year!!

January 1, 2005 2:00:01 PM

You could also try a simpler approach than trying to network your PPC to
your PC, and setup ICs and bridging and whatnot. You can just establish and
Activesync session over BT between the PPC and the PC. Once you do that,
ActiveSync's Pass-through feature will allow the PPC access to the internet.
I've found this method easier. It may technically result in a slower
connection, but I haven't noticed it.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Garys_iPAQ" <gary_blackwell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o KOXgW47EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thank you Mauricio, I will start afresh and follow this web pages
> instructions and then update this post with my findings.
>
> Happy New Years to you and yours!
>
> Gary
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> > Gary, please check the steps on this page:
> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1421
> >
> > Things that will cause problems:
> >
> > - ICS requires 192.168.0.1 to work. If this address is already in use in
> > your network, things will not work.
> > - Personal Firewall. Zone Alarm must be set to medium, proper rules must
> > be created on Norton, XP SP2 should be set to allow communications for
> > Bluetooth software.
> > - If using Windows XP SP2 you might be using the standard MS Bluetooth
> > software by mistake. Check if this is not the case. If you need to
change
> > the drivers, follow the advice in this post:
> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=...
> >
> > --
> > Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
> > Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> > Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> > Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
> > they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344
> >

> > "Garys_iPAQ" <gary_blackwell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:o Dl1tK47EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I have just purchased one of these Bluetooth USB Adaptors (mine is a
CSR
> >> model using WIDDCOM driver 1.4.2.8). I have been trying unsucessfully
> >> today to get internet access from my new HP iPAQ rx3715.
> >>
> >> My PC is running XP Pro SP2 with a Netgear R0318 Security Router (with
> >> Ntl SURFboard SB4100 Cable Modem).
> >>
> >> I notice several BB's and web pages that discuss the configuration
> >> process. Installing the USB Bluetooth software, pairing your devices
(PC
> >> & PDA), setting up your TCPIP addressing (Bridging your LAN and
Bluetooth
> >> connections - for DHCP via Router) and then adding the required
services
> >> to your iPAQ Bluetooth Manager. I have been able to synchronise, send
and
> >> receive data over bluetooth but on selecting 'Internet via <PC Name>' I
> >> continually receive the message 'Unable to initiate the bluetooth
> >> connection (Error code: 0x81000196). I think it's a problem with IP
> >> addressing between my IPS, Netgear Router and my XP SP2 PC.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help/suggest a good source of material to help me? I am
quite
> >> technically proficient although bluetooth connectivity is a new area
for
> >> me.
> >>
> >> Many thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Gary (UK Northants).
> >>
> >> PS Happy New Year!!

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:00:02 PM

Are there any instructions on how to perform this with my setup the *net? Or
is it that straightforward?

Many thanks,
Gary

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You could also try a simpler approach than trying to network your PPC to
> your PC, and setup ICs and bridging and whatnot. You can just establish
> and
> Activesync session over BT between the PPC and the PC. Once you do that,
> ActiveSync's Pass-through feature will allow the PPC access to the
> internet.
> I've found this method easier. It may technically result in a slower
> connection, but I haven't noticed it.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Garys_iPAQ" <gary_blackwell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o KOXgW47EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Thank you Mauricio, I will start afresh and follow this web pages
>> instructions and then update this post with my findings.
>>
>> Happy New Years to you and yours!
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>> message
>> > Gary, please check the steps on this page:
>> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1421
>> >
>> > Things that will cause problems:
>> >
>> > - ICS requires 192.168.0.1 to work. If this address is already in use
>> > in
>> > your network, things will not work.
>> > - Personal Firewall. Zone Alarm must be set to medium, proper rules
>> > must
>> > be created on Norton, XP SP2 should be set to allow communications for
>> > Bluetooth software.
>> > - If using Windows XP SP2 you might be using the standard MS Bluetooth
>> > software by mistake. Check if this is not the case. If you need to
> change
>> > the drivers, follow the advice in this post:
>> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> > Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> > Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>> > Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon
>> > as
>> > they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344
>> >

>> > "Garys_iPAQ" <gary_blackwell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o Dl1tK47EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> CSR

> (PC
> Bluetooth
> services
> and

> quite
> for

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:27:43 AM

Drop your Pocket PC in the cradle and in its default configuration you
should be able to access the Internet from there.

If it works, you just have to establish an ActiveSync connection over
Bluetooth and you'll also be able to access the Internet from this
connection.

As Sven says, it will be slower than a network connection. One way to make
it a little faster is to set ActiveSync to only sync on connection or
manually. This will avoid it using bandwidth while you browse.

!