Event ID: 5504

We are getting about 15 warnings in a row of this event every 30 minutes.
We are getting these warnings in both our dc1 and dc2. We are running
Windows 2000 with SP4 on both machines. I've been reading a lot of posts on
this event and some say to ignore it and others say to "enable" "disable"
forwarders. Currently we have forwarders turned off on both servers. From
what other people have said, if they turn on forwarders they still get these
warnings but not as frequently. All the errors are coming from root
servers. I have checked for any servers with illegal characters (&*$, etc)
and they all seem to be valid. What are some things that I could change or
look into to fix this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: DNS

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5504

Date: 11/3/2004

Time: 2:59:44 AM

User: N/A

Computer: CQL-GR-DC2

The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from
198.41.0.10. The packet is rejected.

In news:OrYV0x1wEHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dan Moynihan <dan.moynihan@cqlcorp.com> made a post then I commented below
> We are getting about 15 warnings in a row of this event every 30
> minutes. We are getting these warnings in both our dc1 and dc2. We
> are running Windows 2000 with SP4 on both machines. I've been

<snip>

This was multi-posted. It's beneficial if you had cross-posted this, that
way replies show up in both groups.

See my reply in the other group.

Ace

I'll do that next time.