Windows 2000 DNS WINS DHCP server upgrade

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

We are looking to upgrade our windows 2000 member server to windows 2003.
This server runs our DNS, WINS, and DHCP.

Are there any gotcha's out there that I should look out for?

thanks,

FastEddie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

In news:uxOsbVcxEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
FastEddie <fasteddie@therockwells.net.no.spam> made a post then I commented
below
> We are looking to upgrade our windows 2000 member server to windows
> 2003. This server runs our DNS, WINS, and DHCP.
>
> Are there any gotcha's out there that I should look out for?
>
> thanks,
>
> FastEddie

Not really. Be aware of the differences with zone types. Since this is just
a member server, I'm assuming the zones are either Primary or a Secondary.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Thanks Ace!

The server has about 10 zones on it. About 5 of them are secondary for AD
2000/2003 forests. the rest are primary zones. None are AD integrated.

Once upgraded, this server will become a AD 2K3 domain controller with
integrated DNS for the forest. One question I ask is will the secondary for
other AD 2K3 forests have any issues? They are listed as secondary zones on
the server.

thanks,

FastEddie

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uibqsafxEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

In news:uFso06lxEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
FastEddie <fasteddie@therockwells.net.no.spam> made a post then I commented
below
> Thanks Ace!
>
> The server has about 10 zones on it. About 5 of them are secondary
> for AD 2000/2003 forests. the rest are primary zones. None are AD
> integrated.
> Once upgraded, this server will become a AD 2K3 domain controller with
> integrated DNS for the forest. One question I ask is will the
> secondary for other AD 2K3 forests have any issues? They are listed
> as secondary zones on the server.
>
> thanks,

You're welcome. Keep in mind, if you upgrade a server, then you promote it,
the zones will automatically change to AD Integrated, since it will
recognize the zone(s) are in the AD database.

Ace

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

All went well!

-Ed

message news:OfnjDDnxEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

In news:eSLEJHbzEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,