Ram configuration on mobo

DownEast

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Hey,

I have an asus p5b deluxe motherboard, and I just successfully completed my conroe build. I did notice that while installing the ram on the motherboard there are 4 ram slots the first is yellow, second is black, third is yellow and 3th is black. The ram I am using is 2, 1gig corsair memory sticks, and I put one stick in the first yellow ram slot and the second stick in the third slot that is also yellow. (Put both sticks in each yellow slot). My question is should I have installed the ram this way, both sticks in the yellow slots or just put the first stick in the first yellow slot and the second stick in the second black slot,

Thanks for the help

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Having the sticks in slot 1 and 3 (the yellow slots) or 2 and 4 ( the black slots) allow the ram to run in "dual channel" mode. That helps increase the RAM bandwidth, on paper its double the bandwidth but of course it doesn't really happen like that. It does help a little (The last time I saw a comparison was with DDR400 RAM so I don't know if DDR2 has improved the effectiveness)

You can read a little more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_channel

In short, yes, you should keep it that way you installed it. You can also read a little more on it in your manual or google since I'm not an expert on this stuff.