stock AM2 cooler best performance?

notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
according to this chart
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1986&page=4
the stock cooler that comes with am2 processors is the best one overall
is this true, i dont want to spend money on a third party cooler if the stock amd is the best...who would
i dont mind how loud it is, but it seems that with all the reccomendations of third party heatsinks you can potentially get exceptional performance out of the stock

The stock cooler is designed to meet the needs of the CPU.....so if u are not over clocking...your good to go....even if you are....a small oc is easy on stock...

@ Morton ohhh yeah it will do...even with some ocin in there....after all it cooled down a PD monster....

Hope this helps

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Investing in an aftermarket cooler is a good idea if your looking to reduce noise or overclock. I have the AM2 3800 X2 and the stock heatsink and fan is much quieter then my VGA fan. I was actually able to overclock to 2.2ghz a 10% increase over stock with the AMD stock heat sink and fan. Like the other guy said they wouldnt make a fan that couldnt cool your CPU. I purchased the CNPS 9500 and although its really expensive its going to help me to overclock to 2.4 - 2.6 ghz. That chart you showed is not a very reliable scientific experiement and I would hardly take it as fact, and only take it as a piece of information to help you make your decision. In my opinion you should be looking for real world tests by Maximum PC, or TomsHardware.