Setting Up Reverse DNS

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 9, 2004 1:26:03 PM

Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am running and
Exchange 2003 Server within my network. I am having difficulties with some
email addresses as they are requiring reverse DNS records. However, I am
unclear as to how exactly to do this. I have two DNS servers on the network,
but am not sure how to properly configure the PTR. Any help is greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

More about : setting reverse dns

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:22:32 PM

In news:697B702C-0C36-477A-AB17-372FEEC3E0B8@microsoft.com,
kmcnet <kmcnet@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am
> running and Exchange 2003 Server within my network. I am
> having difficulties with some email addresses as they are
> requiring reverse DNS records. However, I am unclear as
> to how exactly to do this. I have two DNS servers on the
> network, but am not sure how to properly configure the
> PTR. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Unless your ISP has delegated the reverse lookup to your DNS servers, it
won't do you any good to create a reverse lookup or PTR for your public IP
address.
You will need to contact your ISP about creating the PTR records for your IP
or delegating the reverse lookup to your DNS server.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks Kevin. Is this becoming a typical situation for mail hosting?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:697B702C-0C36-477A-AB17-372FEEC3E0B8@microsoft.com,
> kmcnet <kmcnet@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am
> > running and Exchange 2003 Server within my network. I am
> > having difficulties with some email addresses as they are
> > requiring reverse DNS records. However, I am unclear as
> > to how exactly to do this. I have two DNS servers on the
> > network, but am not sure how to properly configure the
> > PTR. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Unless your ISP has delegated the reverse lookup to your DNS servers, it
> won't do you any good to create a reverse lookup or PTR for your public IP
> address.
> You will need to contact your ISP about creating the PTR records for your IP
> or delegating the reverse lookup to your DNS server.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 7:14:19 PM

In news:0F2063FA-21FD-4EE9-87DA-615642FDF83E@microsoft.com,
kmcnet <kmcnet@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Thanks Kevin. Is this becoming a typical situation for mail hosting?

More and more these days to help to somewhat combat spam.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.