wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Got my whole system up and running:
E6600
Asus P5W Dh Deluxe
2GB OCZ Rev2 DDRII-800
HIS X1900XT

but for some reason things run like crap once in a while. Like i will clikc to open an excel file (office 2007 beta) and the system will just sit there (task manager shows 0 cpu usage) for like 15 seconds and then suddenly the computer will finaly decide to open up excel. It also happens sometimes when shutting down or little things like locing the taskbar.

Any idea where these probs are coming from?

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Have you installed up to date chipset drivers? have you tweaked the OS settings (like page file size, etc.)?

Unless you have done any weird BIOS tweaks I'd strongly suspect you're not having a hardware problem but rather a driver problem.

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Not running RAID and my virtual memory is set for 4GB yet still the system hangs when doing some things. Like if i double click to open somethign it sits for 15 seconds (if i hit cntrl alt del it shows no process using the cpu so its like like the cpu is busy)

any other possible reasons or will i just have to try a reformat?

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
> office 2007 beta
Could be that.

Pauses with no CPU use can occur when Windows is looking for a network resource that isn't available anymore.

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
there is no actual failure. it just takes a good 15-30 seconds for the computer to even start opening the file (no, there is no cpu usage during that time)

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Is there a possibility it is a problem with any of my hardware? I would have thought if it were the memory, cpu or motherboard the problem would be in every action i did (cause firefox and aim and stuff opens right away just some things take a crap load of time to start opening)

motoohot

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
man i am having the same type of problem,, the comp doesnt seem to have the "umph" i was expecting, gettin long boot up time and some programs take longer then expected time open up etc... like i had a few poker open before and my mouse started to lag... im not sure if its something to do with my config or what... i mean it shouldnt be doin this, at least not feel so "ordinary" lol. i know its good because i ran battle field 2 on it and it was amazing on fullly cranked up GFX and felt veery responsive, but general multi taskin is leaving me a bit unimpressed... i think i will have to go on a manhunt for some drivers and updates i thk (although performed win update)

Let me know if u find some kind of fix..

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
So i uninstalled mcaffee virus scan and the problem seems to have gone away. god i hate virus software. Thanks for all the advice though guys

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Stay away from the home editions of McAffee and Norton. They willl suck your system dry. Nod32 and AVG(its free) are good alternatives and im sure there are a couple more as well.

Sorry the comment i made below is incorrect, as i found out after some research.
BTW you shouldnt need a large pagefile with 2GB of ram, infact setting a large value will prompt your system to use it more than it should.

viper84

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
I can vouch for AVG free. Also page file size depends on what you do with your pc.. If you use a lot of memory intensive apps then you will need a large ish page file

Latest posts