Sign in with
Your question

Help! First boot, no video...no clue

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2006 5:00:19 AM

I just put together this system: Antec P180, Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, Evga Geforce 7950GX2, Core 2 Extreme X6800, Scythe Mine heatsink, 2GB Mushkin Redline XP28000 RAM, OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU, 2 WD 150GB Raptors, and a Sounblaster X-Fi... I'm using a usb mouse, usb keyboard, and a Samsung Syncmaster 244T monitor.

When I push the power button, the case power light comes on as I push the button, but when I let it out, the light goes off. The fans stay on and everything has power, but the monitor doesn't have anything. The P180 doesn't have a case speaker, so I can't hear any beeps or anything (maybe the speaker is in the mobo?? don't think so, but why wouldn't the case have a panel speaker?) The case just has the front panel audio, the mic and speaker jack. I don't know where to start guys, please help!
-Paul

More about : boot video clue

August 17, 2006 5:45:11 AM

Do you mind providing a link for the RAM?

Anyways,

1) Check for grounding issues (make sure no metal is touching MB, standoffs in place, etc.).
2) Unplug all UNneccesary devices
3) Leave only 1 stick of RAM in the MB
4) Clear CMOS (use a jumper to short it or take out battery for 30 secs)

Try that and see what happens.
August 17, 2006 6:40:51 AM

I think I know what it is..... I have BIOS version 0401, and even tho it says right on the damn box that it supports core 2 extreme, I've read on forums that it doesn't support it until 0701.... that's bullshit. Do you think that's what it is? Thanks man
Related resources
August 17, 2006 9:35:48 AM

Quote:

before you tear your system apart
make sure the monitor doesnt have a selector switch. you may have it set to use the wrong input

Thanks, that was one of the first things I tried... Do you agree that it's the BIOS? I'm going to try hotflashing it in my old AMD system. It has the same type of BIOS chip, so I'm going to use FreeCableGuy's info from here and try the hotflashing, cause I don't have a CPU that'll work. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow, cause it's 4:30am right now, I gotta go to bed.
August 17, 2006 10:47:01 PM

Quote:
Do you mind providing a link for the RAM?

Anyways,

1) Check for grounding issues (make sure no metal is touching MB, standoffs in place, etc.).
2) Unplug all UNneccesary devices
3) Leave only 1 stick of RAM in the MB
4) Clear CMOS (use a jumper to short it or take out battery for 30 secs)

Try that and see what happens.

Here's the link for the RAM: Mushkin Redline XP2 8000

I'm just going to wait and see if the BIOS chip fixes it, cause that seems like the obvious thing now that I've read some forums. Then I'll try your ideas if that doesn't work, but I sure hope it does. Thanks for the suggestions.

I just have questions about your ideas. What would happen if the motherboard is grounded, what's the reason for only one stick of RAM, and unplugging unneeded devices, is that to check for compatibility? Also, when I unplug those devices, do I need to unplug their power too? I assume to get to the bios I only need a stick of ram, the video card, and the processor and heatsink? Thanks again, I appreciate the help. If anyone else has other suggestions I'm all ears! Thanks
-Paul
August 18, 2006 6:37:30 AM

Basically, starting with the bare neccesities eliminates many variables that could be causing issues, i.e. 1 bad RAM stick could cause the BIOS not to boot, an unneeded device could be causing a BIOS failure, etc. Also, bad grounding can cause major issues, i.e. shorting of MB, causing MB failure, random crashes, etc.

Yes, you only need the CPU, HSF, video card, and 1 stick of RAM to try booting.

I hope that the new BIOS chip works for you.
!