Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Memory Compability Question

Last response: in Memory
Share
August 17, 2006 5:13:52 AM

Here is the motherboard I will be buying...
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Here is the CPU I want to buy...
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Now here is my question...

Will DDR2 800 memory will be compatable with the CPU I have chosen, or do I need to go with lower speed DDR2 memory?
August 17, 2006 9:09:55 AM

Quote:
Here is the motherboard I will be buying...
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Here is the CPU I want to buy...
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Now here is my question...

Will DDR2 800 memory will be compatable with the CPU I have chosen, or do I need to go with lower speed DDR2 memory?
No, DDR2-800 will not be compatable with that cpu. And that cpu isn't compatable with that motherboard. You chose a s939 CPU and an AM2 motherboard.

You want this CPU(AM2):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

If possible, try and get DDR2-800 with tight timings(4-4-4-12 or tighter).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Right now, this is probably the best RAM to go with that system for $/performance. GL :D 
August 17, 2006 9:31:20 AM

Quote:
No, DDR2-800 will not be compatable with that cpu. And that cpu isn't compatable with that motherboard. You chose a s939 CPU and an AM2 motherboard.

You want this CPU(AM2):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

If possible, try and get DDR2-800 with tight timings(4-4-4-12 or tighter).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Right now, this is probably the best RAM to go with that system for $/performance. GL :D 


Hmmm I am unsure about G-Skill memory. I have never heard of them before. Are they reliable?

Okay. I decided to go with...

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

What do you think? Good choices?
Related resources
August 17, 2006 10:18:25 AM

Quote:
No, DDR2-800 will not be compatable with that cpu. And that cpu isn't compatable with that motherboard. You chose a s939 CPU and an AM2 motherboard.

You want this CPU(AM2):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

If possible, try and get DDR2-800 with tight timings(4-4-4-12 or tighter).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Right now, this is probably the best RAM to go with that system for $/performance. GL :D 




Hmmm I am unsure about G-Skill memory. I have never heard of them before. Are they reliable?

Okay. I decided to go with...

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

What do you think? Good choices?G-Skill is actually one of the hottest RAM manufacturers right now. That CPU looks good. Here's a RAM comparo,they use a set of G-Skill, but it's a step up from the ones i suggested.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/PC2-6400%207-way%20...

G-Skill 6400PHU2(tested RAM)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Corsair makes great RAM, but that RAM you picked is only rated for 5-5-5-12. Now, it may run at 4-4-4-12., but looking at the customer reviews(which are notoriously unreliable) nobody had any luck with CAS4, and some had problems with 1T command rate. Believe me when i say, that AM2 setups need CAS4 or lower to compete with the equivalent s939 setup, and a 1T command rate is very important also. GL :) 
August 17, 2006 3:31:20 PM

Quote:
G-Skill is actually one of the hottest RAM manufacturers right now. That CPU looks good. Here's a RAM comparo,they use a set of G-Skill, but it's a step up from the ones i suggested.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/PC2-6400%207-way%20...

G-Skill 6400PHU2(tested RAM)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Corsair makes great RAM, but that RAM you picked is only rated for 5-5-5-12. Now, it may run at 4-4-4-12., but looking at the customer reviews(which are notoriously unreliable) nobody had any luck with CAS4, and some had problems with 1T command rate. Believe me when i say, that AM2 setups need CAS4 or lower to compete with the equivalent s939 setup, and a 1T command rate is very important also. GL :) 


Okay man. I'll try the ram you listed below. I am unsure exactly what these timings mean, but I am guessing that it's better to go with lower numbers than higher numbers. Do the 4-4-4-12 represent 4ms cas latency or something? I am still learning about today's ram.
August 17, 2006 4:18:42 PM

Quote:
G-Skill is actually one of the hottest RAM manufacturers right now. That CPU looks good. Here's a RAM comparo,they use a set of G-Skill, but it's a step up from the ones i suggested.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/PC2-6400%207-way%20...

G-Skill 6400PHU2(tested RAM)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Corsair makes great RAM, but that RAM you picked is only rated for 5-5-5-12. Now, it may run at 4-4-4-12., but looking at the customer reviews(which are notoriously unreliable) nobody had any luck with CAS4, and some had problems with 1T command rate. Believe me when i say, that AM2 setups need CAS4 or lower to compete with the equivalent s939 setup, and a 1T command rate is very important also. GL :) 


Okay man. I'll try the ram you listed below. I am unsure exactly what these timings mean, but I am guessing that it's better to go with lower numbers than higher numbers. Do the 4-4-4-12 represent 4ms cas latency or something? I am still learning about today's ram.The numbers basically state the amount of clock cycles between commands(latency).

Timings with DDR2/DDR and old SDRAM are the same. Just the speeds are higher with each version, and generally the latency's are longer.

Here's a simplified explanation of the timings written in a forum, but the guy does a decent job of explaining. You might want to check it out:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=6859
August 18, 2006 11:24:16 AM

Quote:
G-Skill is actually one of the hottest RAM manufacturers right now. That CPU looks good. Here's a RAM comparo,they use a set of G-Skill, but it's a step up from the ones i suggested.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/PC2-6400%207-way%20...

G-Skill 6400PHU2(tested RAM)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Corsair makes great RAM, but that RAM you picked is only rated for 5-5-5-12. Now, it may run at 4-4-4-12., but looking at the customer reviews(which are notoriously unreliable) nobody had any luck with CAS4, and some had problems with 1T command rate. Believe me when i say, that AM2 setups need CAS4 or lower to compete with the equivalent s939 setup, and a 1T command rate is very important also. GL :) 


Okay man. I'll try the ram you listed below. I am unsure exactly what these timings mean, but I am guessing that it's better to go with lower numbers than higher numbers. Do the 4-4-4-12 represent 4ms cas latency or something? I am still learning about today's ram.The numbers basically state the amount of clock cycles between commands(latency).

Timings with DDR2/DDR and old SDRAM are the same. Just the speeds are higher with each version, and generally the latency's are longer.

Here's a simplified explanation of the timings written in a forum, but the guy does a decent job of explaining. You might want to check it out:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=6859

Thanks dude. You've helped me out a lot. Thanks!
!