Cannot access company web page internally

We have a win2k server network with 2 internal dns servers. We noticed that
users cannot access the company web page that is hosted inside our lan using
the public address (www.mycompany.com). But if we do a ipconfig release and
renew then the web page appears normally.

All of the workstations are configured via dhcp with the primary and
secondary servers pointing to our internal dns servers and the third and
fourth dns servers point to the ISP's. Our dns servers have forwarders
pointing to the ISP's servers as well.

What could be the cause of this and how do I troubleshoot it?
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot access company page internally

    On your internal DNS, create a new host record with only www for the name and the internal IP
    address of the web server where the site is hosted. Do this in the forward lookup zone for your
    internal domain name.

    Internal clients should then be able to access the web site internally using the public URL.

    Or they can access the web site internally by putting the internal IP address in their web
    browser versus a URL.

    Hope this helps
    Gary

    --------------------
    '--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?YmVybmFyZGw=?=" <bernardl@discussions.microsoft.com>
    '--'Subject: Cannot access company web page internally
    '--'Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:19:13 -0800
    '--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
    '--'
    '--'We have a win2k server network with 2 internal dns servers. We noticed that
    '--'users cannot access the company web page that is hosted inside our lan using
    '--'the public address (www.mycompany.com). But if we do a ipconfig release and
    '--'renew then the web page appears normally.
    '--'
    '--'All of the workstations are configured via dhcp with the primary and
    '--'secondary servers pointing to our internal dns servers and the third and
    '--'fourth dns servers point to the ISP's. Our dns servers have forwarders
    '--'pointing to the ISP's servers as well.
    '--'
    '--'What could be the cause of this and how do I troubleshoot it?
    '--'

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
    script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

    Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
    directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Internet Service Providers DNS Servers Windows