Cannot access company website

We have Windows 2000. The server was set so that the registered
domain name (company.com) is the same as the local domain on the
server. The problem was fixed by adding a pointer in the Forward
Lookup Zone; created www and gave it the IP address of the website.
It had been working fine until this week.

Now, users cannot access the company website. I would appreciate any
help to solve this problem.

Thank you
Tina
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot access company website

    In news:47d2043d.0411110635.1521fae7@posting.google.com,
    Mendelson <google@mendelsonline.com> made a post then I commented below
    > We have Windows 2000. The server was set so that the registered
    > domain name (company.com) is the same as the local domain on the
    > server. The problem was fixed by adding a pointer in the Forward
    > Lookup Zone; created www and gave it the IP address of the website.
    > It had been working fine until this week.
    >
    > Now, users cannot access the company website. I would appreciate any
    > help to solve this problem.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Tina

    If the hosting company changes their IP often (not likely), or the use of
    servers farms are being used, there maybe multiple IPs for the record.. Hard
    to tell since the actual name and IP wasn't posted.

    Suggestion, delete the www record, create a delegation for a child zone
    called www under the zone name, and provide the IP addresses of the DNS
    servers that are registered for the domain name. This way, it will resolve
    to any one of the IPs the ISP uses.

    If this doesn't help, we'll need additional information to diagnose this.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    As far as I know the hosting company does not change the IP address.
    The IP address is question is 64.135.42.157 (that translate to
    lkbcpa.com).

    We have a www pointer in the Forward Lookup Zone, and this had been
    working for 9 months without a problem. What all of the sudden could
    cause this.

    Thank you
    Tina

    In news:47d2043d.0411150605.69ddfa4c@posting.google.com,
    Mendelson <google@mendelsonline.com> made a post then I commented below
    > As far as I know the hosting company does not change the IP address.
    > The IP address is question is 64.135.42.157 (that translate to
    > lkbcpa.com).
    >
    > We have a www pointer in the Forward Lookup Zone, and this had been
    > working for 9 months without a problem. What all of the sudden could
    > cause this.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Tina

    Sorry it took so long to respond.

    Can you ping www.lkbcpa.com ? I pinged it and it can reply. Curious if you
    can.
    If not, ping 64.135.42.157 and see if you can get a reply please.
    If you can ping the IP and not the name, than I'm going to assume DNS
    resolution from the internal server is not working. Can you ping anything
    else internally by FQDN, such as your domain controller: dcname.ikbcpa.com?
    Does that respond?

    Are all your machines only using your internal DNS server? They should be
    only using your internal server and no others. I'm assuming this
    configuration and you have a forwarder configured to your ISP, as best
    practice dictates.

    If you try nslookup, see if it will respond, such as:
    c:\>nslookup
    > www.lkbcpa.com
    Server: ns03.toresd01.pa.comcast.net
    Address: 68.80.0.12

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: lkbcpa.com
    Address: 64.135.42.157
    Aliases: www.lkbcpa.com

    Ok, also, these are the usual questions I ask if somethings been working for
    a long time, then all of a suddent it stops working:

    What has changed recently?
    Was anything installed on any of the machines recently, specifically the DNS
    server, or anything else for that matter?
    What sort of connection do you have? T1? ADSL? SDSL? Cable?
    Has anything changed on the router?
    Firewall rules altered?
    Are there any other websites not accessible?

    Ace

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<OouiKjRzEHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:47d2043d.0411150605.69ddfa4c@posting.google.com,
    > Mendelson <google@mendelsonline.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > As far as I know the hosting company does not change the IP address.
    > > The IP address is question is 64.135.42.157 (that translate to
    > > lkbcpa.com).
    > >
    > > We have a www pointer in the Forward Lookup Zone, and this had been
    > > working for 9 months without a problem. What all of the sudden could
    > > cause this.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > > Tina
    >
    > Sorry it took so long to respond.
    >
    > Can you ping www.lkbcpa.com ? I pinged it and it can reply. Curious if you
    > can.
    > If not, ping 64.135.42.157 and see if you can get a reply please.
    > If you can ping the IP and not the name, than I'm going to assume DNS
    > resolution from the internal server is not working. Can you ping anything
    > else internally by FQDN, such as your domain controller: dcname.ikbcpa.com?
    > Does that respond?
    >
    > Are all your machines only using your internal DNS server? They should be
    > only using your internal server and no others. I'm assuming this
    > configuration and you have a forwarder configured to your ISP, as best
    > practice dictates.
    >
    > If you try nslookup, see if it will respond, such as:
    > c:\>nslookup
    > > www.lkbcpa.com
    > Server: ns03.toresd01.pa.comcast.net
    > Address: 68.80.0.12
    >
    > Non-authoritative answer:
    > Name: lkbcpa.com
    > Address: 64.135.42.157
    > Aliases: www.lkbcpa.com
    >
    > Ok, also, these are the usual questions I ask if somethings been working for
    > a long time, then all of a suddent it stops working:
    >
    > What has changed recently?
    > Was anything installed on any of the machines recently, specifically the DNS
    > server, or anything else for that matter?
    > What sort of connection do you have? T1? ADSL? SDSL? Cable?
    > Has anything changed on the router?
    > Firewall rules altered?
    > Are there any other websites not accessible?
    >
    > Ace

    Ace

    Thank you very much. The problem was external and not with the
    configuration of the server. Again thank you for all your ideas.

    Tina

    In news:47d2043d.0411301429.37524719@posting.google.com,
    Mendelson <google@mendelsonline.com> made a post then I commented below

    > Ace
    >
    > Thank you very much. The problem was external and not with the
    > configuration of the server. Again thank you for all your ideas.
    >
    > Tina

    Sounds good! Glad you got it working.
    :-)

    Ace