How do I stop people pointing their domain name at my IP?

JJ

Hi,
Bizarrely someone has registered a domain name and is pointing it at my ip
address.
How can I stop it showing my website on their domain name?
My server is win2k/iis5
Thanks
JJ

In news:419378fd$0$303$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com,
JJ <nospam> made a post then I commented below
> Hi,
> Bizarrely someone has registered a domain name and is pointing it at
> my ip address.
> How can I stop it showing my website on their domain name?
> My server is win2k/iis5
> Thanks
> JJ

Are you saying that someone created a new domain name, created a www entry,
and gave it your IIS server's IP address? Interesting. You can stop that by
creating a specific hostheader for your own domain name so it will not
respond if another domain name is in the HTTP header.

But if they are doing a redirect to your domain name, that is a tough one to
stop. If that is the case, you maybe able to create some code in your
webpage that tells it to not accept referrals.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

JJ> How can I stop it showing my website on their domain name?

By configuring your content HTTP server, whatever it is, appropriately.
This is not a DNS issue.

lee

Why do you say it's not a dns issue?

Lee

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard@Tesco.NET> wrote in message
> JJ> How can I stop it showing my website on their domain name?
>
> By configuring your content HTTP server, whatever it is, appropriately.
> This is not a DNS issue.

You have no control over somebody else's DNS. Period.

You can control what content you serve up when an HTTP request (or other
request) hits you though.

--
If you take a shower, where do you put it?

Lee wrote:
> Why do you say it's not a dns issue?
>
> Lee
>
> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard@Tesco.NET> wrote in message
>
>>JJ> How can I stop it showing my website on their domain name?
>>
>>By configuring your content HTTP server, whatever it is, appropriately.
>>This is not a DNS issue.

lee

Point made - Thanks!

Lee

"DevilsPGD" <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> You have no control over somebody else's DNS. Period.
>
> You can control what content you serve up when an HTTP request (or other
> request) hits you though.
>
> --
> If you take a shower, where do you put it?
>
> Lee wrote:
> > Why do you say it's not a dns issue?
> >
> > Lee
> >
> > "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard@Tesco.NET> wrote in
message

> >>By configuring your content HTTP server, whatever it is, appropriately.
> >>This is not a DNS issue.

JJ> How can I stop it showing my website on their domain name?

JdeBP> By configuring your content HTTP server, whatever it is,
JdeBP> appropriately. This is not a DNS issue.

L> Why do you say it's not a dns issue?

For the obvious reason that it isn't. It has nothing to do with DNS
service. I've already said what it *does* have to do with.

MF> But if they are doing a redirect to your domain name, that is a tough
MF> one to stop. If that is the case, you maybe able to create some code
MF> in your webpage that tells it to not accept referrals.

With some content HTTP server softwares that, too, is a server
configuration issue, not a web page content issue. Apache, for example,
can be configured with access controls that look at the "Referer:"
header. (Not that I endorse this idea, mind you.)

<URL:http://httpd.apache.org./docs/misc/FAQ-G.html#image-theft>

In news:ektfsjPyEHA.3096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Lee <leweb2000@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> Point made - Thanks!
>
> Lee

One of my web customers had a similar issue, others were referring links on
their pages to my customer's site to grab multimedia content, driving up
bandwidth consumption. They wound up creating a PHP script to check if the
incoming request to check the HTTP header to see if it was a direct request
or a referral from another site. If a referral, it blocked the connection.

Ace