D-Link ethernet Switch ignores 2 PC on network

I am currently expanding an office network. It was running fine with
an EZ 8 Port Ethernet Switch, 2 windows 2000 machines, 2 win98SE
machines, 1 Windows ME machine and a roaming laptop running windows
2000. All machines have been patched to the latest available updates
from microsoft. One of the windows 2000 machines is running ICS and
acting as a DHCP server.
My problem came about when I replaced the EZ switch with a DLink 1016,
16 port switch. When I connected the machines all except the windows
2000 running ICS connected fine and networked with no problem. The
other machine refuses to accept that a network cable is even
connected.
The NIC on the problem machine si the same as the other windows 2000
machine and all the cabling has been checked. I reinstalled the EZ
switch and the problem goes away.
I also now have another machine running XP which also will not
recognise the DLink network, but when placed on the EZ switch is fine.
Just to add some more difficulty to this mix, I have used the EZ
switch to expand the network further in another location in the
office. It has 3 more machines attached. As long as the problem
machines are connected to the EZ switch all machines are on the
network and sharing files, printers and internet access no problem,
ie. the problem machines can see through the DLink switch as long as
they are not directly connected to it.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Questions?

sawtell@excalibureng.com (manfromoz) wrote:
>Anymore ideas?

Didn't some early residential routers have trouble working with their
own brand of network card? My brain wants to say it was Linksys, but
I know there was at least one brand of switch chip that didn't work
with that same manufacturer's ethernet card(!). Try a different
NIC...

William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<0hn9k0dam15p3bf00qh9qkl9ica33vamje@4ax.com>...
> sawtell@excalibureng.com (manfromoz) wrote:
> >Anymore ideas?
>
> Didn't some early residential routers have trouble working with their
> own brand of network card? My brain wants to say it was Linksys, but
> I know there was at least one brand of switch chip that didn't work
> with that same manufacturer's ethernet card(!). Try a different
> NIC...

I have already tried setting the problem PC nic's to a preset value
(both 10mps and 100mps) and it didn't make any difference. Also tried
upgrading the nic drivers to the latest and still no change.

As for changing the nic's, all the PC's on the network are running the
same nic's so the brand/switch co-operation is already tested.
Although I have moved a working nic into the non-working PC and
installed the same driver from the working PC and it still made no
difference.

next???