DNS not removing entried

Mike

Splendid

Hi,
We have a windows 2000 domain, 2 DC's in one office and 5 more DC's in
outer offices. same domain.
We run DNS on the DC's, and we have DHCP servers that are set to
update DNS.
What I am seeing is that we now have over 2500 entries in our DNS for
machines, but we have NOWHERE NEAR 2500 machines. It looks like when a
PC is removed from AD or renamed or moved to a different vlan, the
entry stays in DNS. See below:
GX270-XP Host (A) 192.168.24.55
horochiwsky-ph Host (A) 192.168.24.55
mcafeewil-ph Host (A) 192.168.24.55
grp1776a Host (A) 192.168.24.56
reevemA-4ph Host (A) 192.168.24.56
KrasnyM-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.57
mrv9051nnnnnnnn Host (A) 192.168.24.57
mrv9051xp Host (A) 192.168.24.57
crawfordj-4ph Host (A) 192.168.24.58
FrenchSJ-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.58
CarulliE-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.59
gwa9064gwa9064n Host (A) 192.168.24.59
KSK1853 Host (A) 192.168.24.59
mrv9051e Host (A) 192.168.24.59
mrv9051ekk Host (A) 192.168.24.59
mrv9051exx Host (A) 192.168.24.59
SplaverS-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.59

This is causing all kinds of problems with our DNS.
Any ideas? (I was assuming with DDNS that when a pc joined the domain
it was automatically added to dns, and when it was removed or
replaced, the entry was deleted)
Thanks!

Have you enabled aging and scavenging in your DNS server?

Managing the aging and scavenging of server data
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_DNS_imp_ManageAgingScavenging.asp

For more information,

Understanding aging and scavenging
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_DNS_und_AgingScavenging.asp

BR,
Denis

"Mike" wrote:

> Hi,
> We have a windows 2000 domain, 2 DC's in one office and 5 more DC's in
> outer offices. same domain.
> We run DNS on the DC's, and we have DHCP servers that are set to
> update DNS.
> What I am seeing is that we now have over 2500 entries in our DNS for
> machines, but we have NOWHERE NEAR 2500 machines. It looks like when a
> PC is removed from AD or renamed or moved to a different vlan, the
> entry stays in DNS. See below:
> GX270-XP Host (A) 192.168.24.55
> horochiwsky-ph Host (A) 192.168.24.55
> mcafeewil-ph Host (A) 192.168.24.55
> grp1776a Host (A) 192.168.24.56
> reevemA-4ph Host (A) 192.168.24.56
> KrasnyM-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.57
> mrv9051nnnnnnnn Host (A) 192.168.24.57
> mrv9051xp Host (A) 192.168.24.57
> crawfordj-4ph Host (A) 192.168.24.58
> FrenchSJ-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.58
> CarulliE-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> gwa9064gwa9064n Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> KSK1853 Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> mrv9051e Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> mrv9051ekk Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> mrv9051exx Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> SplaverS-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.59
>
> This is causing all kinds of problems with our DNS.
> Any ideas? (I was assuming with DDNS that when a pc joined the domain
> it was automatically added to dns, and when it was removed or
> replaced, the entry was deleted)
> Thanks!

lee

You've got to set a ttl(time to live) for the records in the zone and enable
scavenging for the zone.

Lee

"Mike" <mike_bergin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> We have a windows 2000 domain, 2 DC's in one office and 5 more DC's in
> outer offices. same domain.
> We run DNS on the DC's, and we have DHCP servers that are set to
> update DNS.
> What I am seeing is that we now have over 2500 entries in our DNS for
> machines, but we have NOWHERE NEAR 2500 machines. It looks like when a
> PC is removed from AD or renamed or moved to a different vlan, the
> entry stays in DNS. See below:
> GX270-XP Host (A) 192.168.24.55
> horochiwsky-ph Host (A) 192.168.24.55
> mcafeewil-ph Host (A) 192.168.24.55
> grp1776a Host (A) 192.168.24.56
> reevemA-4ph Host (A) 192.168.24.56
> KrasnyM-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.57
> mrv9051nnnnnnnn Host (A) 192.168.24.57
> mrv9051xp Host (A) 192.168.24.57
> crawfordj-4ph Host (A) 192.168.24.58
> FrenchSJ-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.58
> CarulliE-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> gwa9064gwa9064n Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> KSK1853 Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> mrv9051e Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> mrv9051ekk Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> mrv9051exx Host (A) 192.168.24.59
> SplaverS-PH Host (A) 192.168.24.59
>
> This is causing all kinds of problems with our DNS.
> Any ideas? (I was assuming with DDNS that when a pc joined the domain
> it was automatically added to dns, and when it was removed or
> replaced, the entry was deleted)
> Thanks!

In news:%235dEhpGzEHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Lee <leweb2000@hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> You've got to set a ttl(time to live) for the records in
> the zone and enable scavenging for the zone.

Not the ttl, the time stamp. Ttl sets the maximum cached time of the record.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Mike

Splendid

Okay, I enabled Aging and Scavenging on the DNS Servers, and then did
a Scavenge Stale Resource Records, and it came back as removing 0
entries.

I looked at some of the entries and they have the time stamps there.
So for one IP address that has multiple records, I opened each one and
looked a the time stamps, then deleted all but the most recent one.
I am assuming there is an easier way to do this than manually...?
Any ideas?

In news:10802859.0411180809.723a9bcd@posting.google.com,
Mike <mike_bergin@yahoo.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Okay, I enabled Aging and Scavenging on the DNS Servers,
> and then did a Scavenge Stale Resource Records, and it
> came back as removing 0 entries.
>
> I looked at some of the entries and they have the time
> stamps there. So for one IP address that has multiple
> records, I opened each one and looked a the time stamps,
> then deleted all but the most recent one.
> I am assuming there is an easier way to do this than
> manually...?
> Any ideas?

Once scavenging is enabled and set for the time limit on records the records
should be deleted as the time stamp expires.