Vpn CLients into DNS?

Hi All:

If I run RRAS and have a VPN server set up,
then is it possible to get the vpn clients who connect
seen in DNS,
and do I need to run WINS to accomplish that?

Thank you
James W. Long
12 answers Last reply
More about clients

    In news:7I8md.20727$Rf1.12536@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
    James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi All:
    >
    > If I run RRAS and have a VPN server set up,
    > then is it possible to get the vpn clients who connect
    > seen in DNS,
    > and do I need to run WINS to accomplish that?

    To get VPN clients to register in DNS, a client that supports DDNS can do it
    or DHCP can do it.
    WINS will populate Network places, or you can configure DNS to do a WINS
    lookup on the WINS tab of the zone properties.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Dear Kevin:

    Good to hear from you again!
    Thanks for the reply.
    Not that I understand all of it,
    so I'm going to ask more questions.

    I know we wont be running ddns so thats out.

    We want the vpn clients to show up in our internal dns.
    and we want to get to thier drives and shares in network places

    My dns server is ad integrated on win2k server here.

    if I run dhcp then dhcp will allocate the vpn addresses
    and tell dns what they are so that dns then knows.
    is that correct?

    On that subject, lets say I have an as400 running
    dhcp on the same network instead.
    Wouldnt I want to move dhcp to my DC
    so it can talk to my ad integrated DNS?
    or can my ad DNS make use of dhcp
    running on an as400?

    if I run WINS, then my vpn clients will see objects
    in network places and I will also see the vpn clients
    (and any shares they have) in network places
    is that correct?

    and lastly,
    if I configure DNS to do a WINS lookup
    on the Wins tab (in dns mmc),
    OK I got lost, I need to do this anyway?

    I'm asking because I need to get this all right.

    Thanks for your patience,

    James W. Long

    In news:5homd.25228$5b1.9335@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
    James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:

    Hello again James, answers inline.

    > Dear Kevin:
    >
    > Good to hear from you again!
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Not that I understand all of it,
    > so I'm going to ask more questions.
    >
    > I know we wont be running ddns so thats out.

    If your not going to be using DDNS, how is DHCP expected to update DNS?

    > We want the vpn clients to show up in our internal dns.
    > and we want to get to thier drives and shares in network
    > places

    As you know, DNS and Network places are two totally different functions. The
    VPN clients will have to use WINS to populate Network places.
    DNS registration is not required for clients, but if you want clients to
    populate DNS you will have to allow dynamic registration. That said, the
    domain forward lookup zone can be configured to query the WINS server for
    hosts not found in DNS, so as long as this function works your clients do
    not have to register in DNS as long as the clients have a WINS registration.

    > My dns server is ad integrated on win2k server here.
    >
    > if I run dhcp then dhcp will allocate the vpn addresses
    > and tell dns what they are so that dns then knows.
    > is that correct?

    Yes, DHCP can register the clients in DNS, if the DHCP server supports this
    option and the DNS servers to be registered in are configured in the active
    network connections of the machine DHCP is running on.

    > On that subject, lets say I have an as400 running
    > dhcp on the same network instead.
    > Wouldnt I want to move dhcp to my DC
    > so it can talk to my ad integrated DNS?
    > or can my ad DNS make use of dhcp
    > running on an as400?

    Unfortunately, the AS400 is out of my scope of knowledge, so I don't know if
    the AS400 DHCP can register in MS DNS. I can tell you that BIND DHCP cannot
    register in a MS DNS server and vice-versa because the protocols of the two
    softwares are different.

    > if I run WINS, then my vpn clients will see objects
    > in network places and I will also see the vpn clients
    > (and any shares they have) in network places
    > is that correct?

    Yes, that is how it is supposed to work.

    > and lastly,
    > if I configure DNS to do a WINS lookup
    > on the Wins tab (in dns mmc),
    > OK I got lost, I need to do this anyway?

    I would if you don't use DDNS for the VPN clients. This way the VPN clients
    can be resolved in DNS without actually registering in DNS.

    --

    > In news:5homd.25228$5b1.9335@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
    > James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >
    > Hello again James, answers inline.
    >
    > > Dear Kevin:
    > >
    > > Good to hear from you again!
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > Not that I understand all of it,
    > > so I'm going to ask more questions.
    > >
    > > I know we wont be running ddns so thats out.
    >
    > If your not going to be using DDNS, how is DHCP expected to update DNS?

    Our vpn clients will vpn to a fixed static ip.
    Our DNS only runs on our inside lan.

    we think that dhcp will allocate IP addresses to the
    vpn clients intead of rras. rras has a check box
    that will allow a dhcp server to allocate the addresses
    rather than rras. we think dhcp will update dns
    once it is doing the job rather than the
    address pool scheme in rras.

    > > We want the vpn clients to show up in our internal dns.
    > > and we want to get to thier drives and shares in network
    > > places
    >
    > As you know, DNS and Network places are two totally different functions.

    right. but we need them both.

    >The
    > VPN clients will have to use WINS to populate Network places.
    > DNS registration is not required for clients, but if you want clients to
    > populate DNS you will have to allow dynamic registration.

    ok. do I just check "register in dns" on the clients end to allow this
    and is there more at the server I do?

    That said, the
    > domain forward lookup zone can be configured to query the WINS server for
    > hosts not found in DNS, so as long as this function works your clients do
    > not have to register in DNS as long as the clients have a WINS
    registration.

    I am unfamiliar with WINS.
    almost with you here, until you said "as long as clients have a wins
    registration"
    what does that mean?

    > > My dns server is ad integrated on win2k server here.
    > >
    > > if I run dhcp then dhcp will allocate the vpn addresses
    > > and tell dns what they are so that dns then knows.
    > > is that correct?
    >
    > Yes, DHCP can register the clients in DNS, if the DHCP server supports
    this
    > option and the DNS servers to be registered in are configured in the
    active
    > network connections of the machine DHCP is running on.
    >
    > > On that subject, lets say I have an as400 running
    > > dhcp on the same network instead.
    > > Wouldnt I want to move dhcp to my DC
    > > so it can talk to my ad integrated DNS?
    > > or can my ad DNS make use of dhcp
    > > running on an as400?
    >
    > Unfortunately, the AS400 is out of my scope of knowledge, so I don't know
    if
    > the AS400 DHCP can register in MS DNS. I can tell you that BIND DHCP
    cannot
    > register in a MS DNS server and vice-versa because the protocols of the
    two
    > softwares are different.

    ok thanks

    In news:f1tmd.29380$Qv5.8052@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:

    > I am unfamiliar with WINS.
    > almost with you here, until you said "as long as clients
    > have a wins registration"
    > what does that mean?

    Clients must register with WINS server just as they would for DNS. This
    difference being that WINS will populate Network places and DNS can query
    WINS.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Dear Kevin:

    ok thats cool,
    how do I do that? {make them register in WINS}
    this answer goes to more than one problem in my case!

    For instance we have several win98 systems here which do not show up
    in DNS for some reason and we are running both DNS and WINS
    yet I cant reference them by name..and dont know thier ip addresses
    (which were handed out by dhcp), yet they show up in network places,
    so would setting thier wins server address in thier control
    panel->network->tcpip->properties...
    as the address of our wins server solve this problem, and
    is that what you mean by registering in wins? I checked the "look up in
    wins"
    checkbox in the forward zone wins tab.

    Thanks,

    > In news:f1tmd.29380$Qv5.8052@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    > James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >
    > > I am unfamiliar with WINS.
    > > almost with you here, until you said "as long as clients
    > > have a wins registration"
    > > what does that mean?
    >
    > Clients must register with WINS server just as they would for DNS. This
    > difference being that WINS will populate Network places and DNS can query
    > WINS.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:b1Lmd.19174$iQ1.6554@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com,
    James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Dear Kevin:
    >
    > ok thats cool,
    > how do I do that? {make them register in WINS}
    > this answer goes to more than one problem in my case!
    >
    > For instance we have several win98 systems here which do
    > not show up in DNS for some reason and we are running
    > both DNS and WINS
    > yet I cant reference them by name..and dont know thier ip
    > addresses (which were handed out by dhcp), yet they show
    > up in network places, so would setting thier wins server
    > address in thier control
    > panel->network->tcpip->properties...
    > as the address of our wins server solve this problem, and
    > is that what you mean by registering in wins? I checked
    > the "look up in wins"
    > checkbox in the forward zone wins tab.

    You can manually configure them to use a WINS server which will cause them
    to register their addresses in WINS. You can also configure DHCP option 044
    and 046 to assign the WINS server and Node type.

    Having the Zone configured to search the WINS server works for hosts not
    found in DNS works fine.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Dear Kevin:

    Rock and Roll!

    I am getting initial results in DNS already as
    more clients reboot and get the new dhcp specs.

    Thank you very much!

    > In news:b1Lmd.19174$iQ1.6554@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com,
    > James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Dear Kevin:
    > >
    > > ok thats cool,
    > > how do I do that? {make them register in WINS}
    > > this answer goes to more than one problem in my case!
    > >
    > > For instance we have several win98 systems here which do
    > > not show up in DNS for some reason and we are running
    > > both DNS and WINS
    > > yet I cant reference them by name..and dont know thier ip
    > > addresses (which were handed out by dhcp), yet they show
    > > up in network places, so would setting thier wins server
    > > address in thier control
    > > panel->network->tcpip->properties...
    > > as the address of our wins server solve this problem, and
    > > is that what you mean by registering in wins? I checked
    > > the "look up in wins"
    > > checkbox in the forward zone wins tab.
    >
    > You can manually configure them to use a WINS server which will cause them
    > to register their addresses in WINS. You can also configure DHCP option
    044
    > and 046 to assign the WINS server and Node type.
    >
    > Having the Zone configured to search the WINS server works for hosts not
    > found in DNS works fine.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:Uc3nd.30029$Qv5.14842@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Dear Kevin:
    >
    > Rock and Roll!
    >
    > I am getting initial results in DNS already as
    > more clients reboot and get the new dhcp specs.
    >
    > Thank you very much!

    Very good! Which method are you using?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I configured dhcp with the wins server and node type
    but...although DNS does see more clients, it does not see them all

    > In news:Uc3nd.30029$Qv5.14842@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,
    > James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Dear Kevin:
    > >
    > > Rock and Roll!
    > >
    > > I am getting initial results in DNS already as
    > > more clients reboot and get the new dhcp specs.
    > >
    > > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Very good! Which method are you using?
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:c2tnd.19555$PU7.1173@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com,
    James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I configured dhcp with the wins server and node type
    > but...although DNS does see more clients, it does not
    > see them all

    Have you checked the WINS database to see if all had WINS registrations?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    yes, thats how I know dns doesnt see them all.
    everything is there in WINS.

    > In news:c2tnd.19555$PU7.1173@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com,
    > James W. Long <JamesLong@Dunhamshq.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > I configured dhcp with the wins server and node type
    > > but...although DNS does see more clients, it does not
    > > see them all
    >
    > Have you checked the WINS database to see if all had WINS registrations?
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps