Internet Access is slow as molasses....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Every since I set my desktops to use the Win2k3 AD server as the primary DNS
server, whenever I am on the Internet via Internet Explorer or Firefox, it
takes a while for pages to come up, sometimes I often get a message saying
that the page can not be found. Then I just hit reload and the page comes
up.

Here is how my home network is setup:

1) WinXP desktop (running DHCP)
2) Win2k Pro desktop (running DHCP)
3) Win2k3 Active Directory Server (running AD, DNS, and DHCP services)
4) Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router
5) Comcast Cable modem (plugged into wireless router)

Both desktops have the Win2k3 server as its primary DNS server. I used to
have the Wireless router as the primary DNS, but I had some problems with
filesharing on the XP desktop, so I changed the primary DNS to the AD
server.

It's funny that when the router was the primary DNS server, I didn't have
the problem that I am currently having.

So anyway, it seems like each time I go to load a website, it seems like IE
or Firefox is thinking about whether or not it wants to go to that website.

Question is, why is this so slow? Are there some settings I can tweak?
Please advise. Thanks!!!

Fred Hammond wrote:
> Every since I set my desktops to use the Win2k3 AD server as the
> primary DNS server, whenever I am on the Internet via Internet
> Explorer or Firefox, it takes a while for pages to come up, sometimes
> I often get a message saying that the page can not be found. Then I
> just hit reload and the page comes up.
>
> Here is how my home network is setup:
>
> 1) WinXP desktop (running DHCP)
> 2) Win2k Pro desktop (running DHCP)
> 3) Win2k3 Active Directory Server (running AD, DNS, and DHCP services)

Is the DNS server set up with forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers?

> 4) Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router
> 5) Comcast Cable modem (plugged into wireless router)
>
> Both desktops have the Win2k3 server as its primary DNS server. I
> used to have the Wireless router as the primary DNS, but I had some
> problems with filesharing on the XP desktop, so I changed the primary
> DNS to the AD server.
>
> It's funny that when the router was the primary DNS server, I didn't
> have the problem that I am currently having.

Don't use any external IP addresses for DNS in any server or computer's IP
config. Just the internal DNS server. The forwarders will take care of
external resolution.

> So anyway, it seems like each time I go to load a website, it seems
> like IE or Firefox is thinking about whether or not it wants to go to
> that website.
>
> Question is, why is this so slow? Are there some settings I can
> tweak? Please advise. Thanks!!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:03:46 -0500, "Fred Hammond"
<freddhammond@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Every since I set my desktops to use the Win2k3 AD server as the primary DNS
>server, whenever I am on the Internet via Internet Explorer or Firefox, it
>takes a while for pages to come up, sometimes I often get a message saying
>that the page can not be found. Then I just hit reload and the page comes
>up.
>
>Here is how my home network is setup:
>
>1) WinXP desktop (running DHCP)
>2) Win2k Pro desktop (running DHCP)
>3) Win2k3 Active Directory Server (running AD, DNS, and DHCP services)
>4) Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router
>5) Comcast Cable modem (plugged into wireless router)
>
>Both desktops have the Win2k3 server as its primary DNS server. I used to
>have the Wireless router as the primary DNS, but I had some problems with
>filesharing on the XP desktop, so I changed the primary DNS to the AD
>server.
>
>It's funny that when the router was the primary DNS server, I didn't have
>the problem that I am currently having.
>
>So anyway, it seems like each time I go to load a website, it seems like IE
>or Firefox is thinking about whether or not it wants to go to that website.
>
>Question is, why is this so slow? Are there some settings I can tweak?

Your Server 2003 should be the *only* DNS in the client settings. Set
the Server 2003 DNS to forward to your ISP's DNS for unresolved
queries.

Jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Jeff, my Win2k3 server is set up to run DHCP, so under Scope Options, I told
it that the DNS server is the IP of the Win2k3 server. In terms of having
forwarders set up in DNS on the Win2k3 server, I do have 1 forwarder in
there and that is pointing to the IP of the wireless router (192.168.0.1).
I am doing this becuz the router is getting the ISP IP Address automatically
and DNS addresses automatically from Comcast. So, the way I looked at it is
that any external DNS requests from the clients (desktops) would go to the
Win2k3 server, which would go to the wireless router, which would go to
Comcast's DNS servers and so on.

But it sounds like you are stating that I should not have a forwarder
pointing to the router, instead it should be pointing to Comcast's external
DNS servers (I would have to somehow find out what they are). Is that what
you are stating?

"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:03:46 -0500, "Fred Hammond"
> <freddhammond@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Every since I set my desktops to use the Win2k3 AD server as the primary
DNS
> >server, whenever I am on the Internet via Internet Explorer or Firefox,
it
> >takes a while for pages to come up, sometimes I often get a message
saying
> >that the page can not be found. Then I just hit reload and the page
comes
> >up.
> >
> >Here is how my home network is setup:
> >
> >1) WinXP desktop (running DHCP)
> >2) Win2k Pro desktop (running DHCP)
> >3) Win2k3 Active Directory Server (running AD, DNS, and DHCP services)
> >4) Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router
> >5) Comcast Cable modem (plugged into wireless router)
> >
> >Both desktops have the Win2k3 server as its primary DNS server. I used
> >have the Wireless router as the primary DNS, but I had some problems with
> >filesharing on the XP desktop, so I changed the primary DNS to the AD
> >server.
> >
> >It's funny that when the router was the primary DNS server, I didn't have
> >the problem that I am currently having.
> >
> >So anyway, it seems like each time I go to load a website, it seems like
IE
> >or Firefox is thinking about whether or not it wants to go to that
website.

> >Question is, why is this so slow? Are there some settings I can tweak?
>
> Your Server 2003 should be the *only* DNS in the client settings. Set
> the Server 2003 DNS to forward to your ISP's DNS for unresolved
> queries.
>
> Jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

A funny thing just happened.

I looked at the settings on the wireless router and realized that I had its
DNS server IP address pointing back to the Win2k3 server. I changed this to
get DNS address automatically and VOILA!!!! Any website I went to pops right
up, no delay.

Coincidence??? HMMM!!!!!

Thanks to all who provided feedback to me.

"Fred Hammond" <freddhammond@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > >filesharing on the XP desktop, so I changed the primary DNS to the AD
> > >server.
> > >
> > >It's funny that when the router was the primary DNS server, I didn't
have
> > >the problem that I am currently having.
> > >
> > >So anyway, it seems like each time I go to load a website, it seems
like
> IE
> > >or Firefox is thinking about whether or not it wants to go to that
> website.
> > >
> > >Question is, why is this so slow? Are there some settings I can tweak?
> >
> > Your Server 2003 should be the *only* DNS in the client settings. Set
> > the Server 2003 DNS to forward to your ISP's DNS for unresolved
> > queries.
> >
> > Jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

And be sure to have no typo in the IP-address of one of the forwarders like
I had a few months ago. generated exactly the same problem.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Fred Hammond wrote:
>> Every since I set my desktops to use the Win2k3 AD server as the
>> primary DNS server, whenever I am on the Internet via Internet
>> Explorer or Firefox, it takes a while for pages to come up, sometimes
>> I often get a message saying that the page can not be found. Then I
>> just hit reload and the page comes up.
>>
>> Here is how my home network is setup:
>>
>> 1) WinXP desktop (running DHCP)
>> 2) Win2k Pro desktop (running DHCP)
>> 3) Win2k3 Active Directory Server (running AD, DNS, and DHCP services)
>
> Is the DNS server set up with forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers?
>
>> 4) Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router
>> 5) Comcast Cable modem (plugged into wireless router)
>>
>> Both desktops have the Win2k3 server as its primary DNS server. I
>> used to have the Wireless router as the primary DNS, but I had some
>> problems with filesharing on the XP desktop, so I changed the primary
>> DNS to the AD server.
>>
>> It's funny that when the router was the primary DNS server, I didn't
>> have the problem that I am currently having.
>
> Don't use any external IP addresses for DNS in any server or computer's IP
> config. Just the internal DNS server. The forwarders will take care of
> external resolution.
>>
>> So anyway, it seems like each time I go to load a website, it seems
>> like IE or Firefox is thinking about whether or not it wants to go to
>> that website.
>>
>> Question is, why is this so slow? Are there some settings I can
>> tweak? Please advise. Thanks!!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Why does Win2k3 have to be in total control of DNS in this manner? It seems
like it is adding an extra layer to the DNS hierarchy to me? Instead of the
desktop clients going to the router directly, now it needs to go thru the
server, which in turn goes to the router. Why not eliminate the middle man?

"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:03:46 -0500, "Fred Hammond"
> <freddhammond@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Every since I set my desktops to use the Win2k3 AD server as the primary
DNS
> >server, whenever I am on the Internet via Internet Explorer or Firefox,
it
> >takes a while for pages to come up, sometimes I often get a message
saying
> >that the page can not be found. Then I just hit reload and the page
comes
> >up.
> >
> >Here is how my home network is setup:
> >
> >1) WinXP desktop (running DHCP)
> >2) Win2k Pro desktop (running DHCP)
> >3) Win2k3 Active Directory Server (running AD, DNS, and DHCP services)
> >4) Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router
> >5) Comcast Cable modem (plugged into wireless router)
> >
> >Both desktops have the Win2k3 server as its primary DNS server. I used
> >have the Wireless router as the primary DNS, but I had some problems with
> >filesharing on the XP desktop, so I changed the primary DNS to the AD
> >server.
> >
> >It's funny that when the router was the primary DNS server, I didn't have
> >the problem that I am currently having.
> >
> >So anyway, it seems like each time I go to load a website, it seems like
IE
> >or Firefox is thinking about whether or not it wants to go to that
website.

> >Question is, why is this so slow? Are there some settings I can tweak?
>
> Your Server 2003 should be the *only* DNS in the client settings. Set
> the Server 2003 DNS to forward to your ISP's DNS for unresolved
> queries.
>
> Jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

In news:u6OMqhOzEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Fred Hammond <freddhammond@yahoo.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Why does Win2k3 have to be in total control of DNS in
> this manner? It seems like it is adding an extra layer
> to the DNS hierarchy to me? Instead of the desktop
> clients going to the router directly, now it needs to go
> thru the server, which in turn goes to the router. Why
> not eliminate the middle man?

In an Active Directory environment DNS is where the Domain Controller stores
its service location records. If the Clients use the ISP's DNS they won't be
able to find the domain Controller, startup and logon time will be extremely
long and network access will be very slow. Internet DNS resolution is a
secondary function and can actually an improvement over using your ISP's DNS
because you have a locally cached DNS database.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]