Windows 2000 DNS client fail to register IP address when u..

Hi All,

I have a single label Windows 2000 domain (e.g. domain1) with Windows 2000
SP4 professional clients (e.g. ws001). When I configure domain member
workstation with static IP address and static DNS server address that point
to domain controllers, I can locate host records (A) for these workstations
in DNS server. Since I need to use a non-Windows DHCP to get the dynamic IP.
I have changed the IP address setting to obtain IP from DHCP server with
static DNS servers that point to domain controllers. When I ran ipconfig
/registerdns on these workstations, I have found that the host records entry
in DNS servers were removed rather than updated. Since these workstations
resides on different subnet than domain controller. I cannot use workstation
name to access these workstations.

Please advise.

"Sun Sin" <sunsin@community.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a single label Windows 2000 domain (e.g. domain1) with Windows 2000
> SP4 professional clients (e.g. ws001). When I configure domain member
> workstation with static IP address and static DNS server address that
> point
> to domain controllers, I can locate host records (A) for these
> workstations
> in DNS server. Since I need to use a non-Windows DHCP to get the dynamic
> IP.
> I have changed the IP address setting to obtain IP from DHCP server with
> static DNS servers that point to domain controllers. When I ran ipconfig
> /registerdns on these workstations, I have found that the host records
> entry
> in DNS servers were removed rather than updated. Since these workstations
> resides on different subnet than domain controller. I cannot use
> workstation
> name to access these workstations.
>
> Please advise.

Single label DNS zones are not recommended. You can try out the advise from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826743

regards

Dear Justin,

The system is currently using single label domain and I have already applied
the necessary registry changes to make DNS registration work when clients are
using static IP. The question is how to make it also work when clients are
using DHCP to get their IP address.

Regards

"JustinNg" wrote:

> "Sun Sin" <sunsin@community.nospam> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a single label Windows 2000 domain (e.g. domain1) with Windows 2000
> > SP4 professional clients (e.g. ws001). When I configure domain member
> > workstation with static IP address and static DNS server address that
> > point
> > to domain controllers, I can locate host records (A) for these
> > workstations
> > in DNS server. Since I need to use a non-Windows DHCP to get the dynamic
> > IP.
> > I have changed the IP address setting to obtain IP from DHCP server with
> > static DNS servers that point to domain controllers. When I ran ipconfig
> > /registerdns on these workstations, I have found that the host records
> > entry
> > in DNS servers were removed rather than updated. Since these workstations
> > resides on different subnet than domain controller. I cannot use
> > workstation
> > name to access these workstations.
> >
> > Please advise.
>
> Single label DNS zones are not recommended. You can try out the advise from
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826743
>
> regards

In news:E6300612-BFB4-4162-B233-9CAEA290B9CD@microsoft.com,
Sun Sin <sunsin@community.nospam> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Dear Justin,
>
> The system is currently using single label domain and I
> have already applied the necessary registry changes to
> make DNS registration work when clients are using static
> IP. The question is how to make it also work when clients
> are using DHCP to get their IP address.

If the clients do not have a primary DNS suffix and the connection specific
suffix is assigned by DHCP, you have to check "Register this connection's
addresses in DNS" on the DNS tab of TCP/IP properties.
There is a KB about this for Win2k but I can't dig it up right now.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Dear Kevin,

The 'Register this connection's address in DNS' is checked already as static
IP address setting can be registered normally. But it cannot register in
Windows DNS when the workstation IP configuration is using DHCP.

Regards.

In news:111CEC98-2968-463D-902B-9FA9E66DBEED@microsoft.com,
Sun Sin <sunsin@community.nospam> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Dear Kevin,
>
> The 'Register this connection's address in DNS' is
> checked already as static IP address setting can be
> registered normally. But it cannot register in Windows
> DNS when the workstation IP configuration is using DHCP.

Is option 015 set to your domain name? the DDNS servers listed in TCP/IP
properties of the machine DHCP is on? Have you applied the registry entries
for the single-label domain name to all clients and servers?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Hi Kevin, can a client without primary DNS suffix participate in
dynamic update ? do you mean win2000 prof ?

Regards
Daniel

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<u$bbjZFzEHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> In news:E6300612-BFB4-4162-B233-9CAEA290B9CD@microsoft.com,
> Sun Sin <sunsin@community.nospam> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Dear Justin,
> >
> > The system is currently using single label domain and I
> > have already applied the necessary registry changes to
> > make DNS registration work when clients are using static
> > IP. The question is how to make it also work when clients
> > are using DHCP to get their IP address.
>
> If the clients do not have a primary DNS suffix and the connection specific
> suffix is assigned by DHCP, you have to check "Register this connection's
> addresses in DNS" on the DNS tab of TCP/IP properties.
> There is a KB about this for Win2k but I can't dig it up right now.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

In news:6a6a9040.0411170807.6dcdd2c8@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin, can a client without primary DNS suffix
> participate in
> dynamic update ? do you mean win2000 prof ?

Yes, if it has a connection DNS suffix, either manually configured on the
DNS tab of TCP/IP properties or assigned by DHCP option 015.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Kevin, whats the difference between primary dns suffix and connection dns suffix ?

Regards
Daniel

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<OMhiAeMzEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> In news:6a6a9040.0411170807.6dcdd2c8@posting.google.com,
> Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi Kevin, can a client without primary DNS suffix
> > participate in
> > dynamic update ? do you mean win2000 prof ?
>
> Yes, if it has a connection DNS suffix, either manually configured on the
> DNS tab of TCP/IP properties or assigned by DHCP option 015.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Dear Kelvin,

All clients and servers have the registry changed for single label domain
name applied. The TCP/IP Configuration is like this:

Under TCP/IP Properties
x Obtain an IP address automatically

x use the following DNS server addresses:
Preferred DNS Server: <IP address of Domain Controller 1>
Alternate DNS Server: <IP address of Domain Controller 2>

Please note t hat the DHCP server is not Windows server. Hence the DHCP
address is not running on DNS server. I do not have what the meaning 015 is.
Pleasae advise.

In news:61518B20-DC4C-4D1A-93A7-0E0C9AAF9B68@microsoft.com,
Sun Sin <sunsin@community.nospam> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Dear Kelvin,
>
> All clients and servers have the registry changed for
> single label domain name applied. The TCP/IP
> Configuration is like this:
>
> Under TCP/IP Properties
> x Obtain an IP address automatically
>
> x use the following DNS server addresses:
> Preferred DNS Server: <IP address of Domain Controller 1>
> Alternate DNS Server: <IP address of Domain Controller 2>
>
> Please note t hat the DHCP server is not Windows server.
> Hence the DHCP address is not running on DNS server. I do
> not have what the meaning 015 is. Pleasae advise.

Option 015 is Domain Name, and is provided to clients as the Connection
Specific suffix. The clients that support DDNS should still be able to
register using their primary DNS suffix, IIRC. If your DHCP server does not
have the domain name option you'll have to manually apply the DNS suffix on
the DNS tab. This won't work on NT4 and Win9x clients at all. For those
clients you'll have to use Windows DHCP to register them.
There is one other way, but it doesn't involve the clients registering in
DNS. MS DNS zones can be configured to check WINS for host names not in DNS.
So if the client can use WINS DNS can check WINS and you get the same
results as though the client was registered in DNS. Then all you need is for
the client to have a DNS suffix search list so the client will know which
zones to search.

--

In news:6a6a9040.0411172035.1125f538@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, whats the difference between primary dns suffix
> and connection dns suffix ?

The Primary DNS suffix comes from the system control panel on the Network ID
(Win2k) or Computer name (WinXP Win2k3) tab. The connection DNS suffix comes
from TCP/IP properties on the DNS tab. The connection specific suffix can
also be assigned by DHCP.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Kevin, any example of the connection DNS suffix ? so do you mean
either one existed or both can be existed and can be registered in dns
?

In news:6a6a9040.0411200521.c64acc7@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, any example of the connection DNS suffix ? so do
> you mean
> either one existed or both can be existed and can be
> registered in dns
> ?

Both can exist and both can be registered in DNS.
Also, both are added to the DNS suffix search list.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Dear Kelvin,

What do you mean 'If your DHCP server does not
have the domain name option you'll have to manually apply the DNS suffix on
the DNS tab.'? Do you mean to add the domain name in the 'DNS suffix for
this connection' field? Do I need to change other setting in the tab also?

In news:47B9DEFF-9D63-4A8F-AB77-A9CA05938A3D@microsoft.com,
Sun Sin <sunsin@community.nospam> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Dear Kelvin,
>
> What do you mean 'If your DHCP server does not
> have the domain name option you'll have to manually apply
> the DNS suffix on the DNS tab.'? Do you mean to add the
> domain name in the 'DNS suffix for this connection'
> field? Do I need to change other setting in the tab
> also?

If you want the clients registered in DNS, you do.