problem mapping a drive using a cname

Bubs

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004

Hi and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a new and very small 2003 Active Directory setup. I'm using one of
my servers as a place to store files but at sometime in the future the
location of this store may change.

A programmer is writing some ASP to access this share and so, because it
might change, I setup a CNAME in DNS so that points to the machine so that in
the future if the data moves I can simply change where the CNAME alias points.

The problem is this: it doesn't work

if I try to connect to
\\machinename\share then I can connect

if I try to connect to
\\cname\share then I'm told that "You were not connected because a duplicate
name exists on the network. Go to System in Control Panel to change the
cumputer name and try again."

I'm puzzled by this. What I'm trying to do seems pretty straight forward
and I'm suprised that a CNAME isn't working for me.

Does anybody have any idea what I doing wrong and what work arounds I can try?

Thanks.

"=?Utf-8?B?QnVicw==?=" <Bubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi and thanks in advance for any help.
>
> I have a new and very small 2003 Active Directory setup. I'm using
> one of my servers as a place to store files but at sometime in the
> future the location of this store may change.
>
> A programmer is writing some ASP to access this share and so, because
> it might change, I setup a CNAME in DNS so that points to the machine
> so that in the future if the data moves I can simply change where the
> CNAME alias points.
>
> The problem is this: it doesn't work
>
> if I try to connect to
> \\machinename\share then I can connect
>
> if I try to connect to
> \\cname\share then I'm told that "You were not connected because a
> duplicate name exists on the network. Go to System in Control Panel
> to change the cumputer name and try again."
>
> I'm puzzled by this. What I'm trying to do seems pretty straight
> forward and I'm suprised that a CNAME isn't working for me.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what I doing wrong and what work arounds I
> can try?
>
> Thanks.

Add a 'DisableStrictNameChecking' value set to a REG_DWORD of 1 in HKLM
\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lammanserver\Parameters on the server
and it should fix your problem. Search Google for
"DisableStrictNameChecking" for more info.

HTH,

Wayne

--
Standard Disclaimer: I said it, they didn't, so blame me, not them!
Spam Avoidance: My reply address is invalid to confuse the spambots.