Sign in with
Your question

ATI+nVidia compatability?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2006 9:18:56 AM

Hi,
We have a new core2duo mobo that has two pciexpress slots, we have one nvidia gfx card and one ati.
They are both detected by windows xp.

However the only way we have managed to get them to both output at the same time is to run them using the generic windows xp drivers, as soon as we install the provided drivers the system either hangs on the windows xp progress bar startup sequence, or if it does get past this, all screens go blank.

Am i missing something?
Maybe not enough power going to the cards? Very confused, any help appreciated.
August 17, 2006 3:46:47 PM

Thats windows for yea, i hardly think its your power unless you got something like 400 PSU running both cards then yes it is but my guess is that windows simply cannot run both ATI and nvidia GFX cards on the same mobo without something going wacky. This might be because it is trying to read both cards
seperatly, but i dont think you can even have both an ATI and a Nvidia card on the same mobo.
August 17, 2006 4:14:36 PM

i would tend to agree, unlike in the days of agp/pci where you could use pcd vga pallet snoop, there is no option with pci express. you could have both installed but not running at the same time, you would need seperate hardware profiles.
Related resources
a c 355 U Graphics card
August 17, 2006 4:20:54 PM

Yeah, it's a driver conflict issue. The two drivers are likely to be competing for resources are not designed to interact with each other.

The reason why generic drivers work is because at the very basic level video drivers are fundamentally the same for basic displays. Which is why when you install a fresh copy of Windows onto the PC the video card will display something on the screen. It's not pretty and you won't be able to run 3D applications or games.

You need two card from the chipmaker, either two ATI or two nVidia cards if you will be installing drivers.
August 17, 2006 4:36:28 PM

Quote:
i would tend to agree, unlike in the days of agp/pci where you could use pcd vga pallet snoop, there is no option with pci express. you could have both installed but not running at the same time, you would need seperate hardware profiles.

Is it possible to create two hardware profiles in XP?
Have ordered another nvidia card anyway, its not exactly the same but very similar, fingers crossed it works.
August 17, 2006 4:57:53 PM

i don't know about xp home, but you can create hardware profiles in xp pro
!