lost my wildcards

gerry

Not sure what did it , but somehow I lost my dns wildcards.
With everything installed on a single w2k test server - dc , dns , dhcp ,
wins ...
I did have dns wildcards working fine unitl i installed dhcp & wins.
After fighting with this for too many hours I am asking if anyone can
enlighten me as to what the problem may be.
I am assuming that I removed the wildcard during this process and re-added
it incorrectly.
I originally set this up according to some simple instructions I found on
the web which i can no longer locate.
I have tried every suggestion i could find on the subject but nothing seems
to make any difference.
I can ping any existing dns entries but any non-existant items that should
be caught by the wildcard just come up with "Unkown host xxx.mydomain.com."

any suggestions ?

gerry

In news:e8oYhUJzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
gerry <germ@hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Not sure what did it , but somehow I lost my dns
> wildcards.
> With everything installed on a single w2k test server -
> dc , dns , dhcp , wins ...
> I did have dns wildcards working fine unitl i installed
> dhcp & wins.
> After fighting with this for too many hours I am asking
> if anyone can enlighten me as to what the problem may be.
> I am assuming that I removed the wildcard during this
> process and re-added it incorrectly.
> I originally set this up according to some simple
> instructions I found on the web which i can no longer
> locate.
> I have tried every suggestion i could find on the subject
> but nothing seems to make any difference.
> I can ping any existing dns entries but any non-existant
> items that should be caught by the wildcard just come up
> with "Unkown host xxx.mydomain.com."
>
> any suggestions ?

Wildcard records are not really that good an idea anyway. That said, is you
question how to create a wildcard using the DNS management console?
In the zone you want the wildcard, right click select new domain and name it
* . Open the * subdomain you just created, right click select new host,
leave the name field blank and give it the IP you want the wildcard to
publish.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]