value of items?!

Is there any rational connection between the monetary value of an item
and its 'usability' value? I see weapons, for instance, which are listed
as being worth a fortune, and are weaker (including magic) than my
weapon-in-hand which lists as being worth a tenth as much.

And then there are the outrageously expensive items that you can't DO
anything with, because there's not a single merchant in the @#*$&#@$ game
that has anywhere CLOSE to the 200k required. Why bother with assigning
meaningless values like this at all?

That's my wish for Oblivion: items with rational values, and merchants with
enough cash to buy more than junk. (Suran is particularly bad--nobody has
more than 900 gold ANYWHERE!)

Colin
25 answers Last reply
More about value items

    Colin B. wrote:

    > Is there any rational connection between the monetary value of an item
    > and its 'usability' value?

    No, there isn't.

    > I see weapons, for instance, which are listed
    > as being worth a fortune, and are weaker (including magic) than my
    > weapon-in-hand which lists as being worth a tenth as much.

    Yep.

    > And then there are the outrageously expensive items that you can't DO
    > anything with, because there's not a single merchant in the @#*$&#@$ game
    > that has anywhere CLOSE to the 200k required. Why bother with assigning
    > meaningless values like this at all?

    I wish I knew. I use a mod (Ogrim Trader in Caldera) so I
    can sell expensive gear for what it's worth. In the end,
    money becomes far too easy to get in Morrowind. I think my
    highest level character (72) has about 2.5 million; and
    that's *after* purchasing as many CE enchantments as he
    could find uses for.

    > That's my wish for Oblivion: items with rational values, and merchants with
    > enough cash to buy more than junk. (Suran is particularly bad--nobody has
    > more than 900 gold ANYWHERE!)

    A realistic economy is high on the list of things which make
    the game world seem more like a 'real' one, so I hope
    Bethesda takes a good long look at this problem before
    Oblivion gets too far along.

    Colin B. wrote:
    > Is there any rational connection between the monetary value of an item
    > and its 'usability' value? I see weapons, for instance, which are listed
    > as being worth a fortune, and are weaker (including magic) than my
    > weapon-in-hand which lists as being worth a tenth as much.
    >
    > And then there are the outrageously expensive items that you can't DO
    > anything with, because there's not a single merchant in the @#*$&#@$ game
    > that has anywhere CLOSE to the 200k required. Why bother with assigning
    > meaningless values like this at all?

    You don't know how to sell that valuable items ? But you know that the
    merchants cash rises back to it's "natural" level after 24 hours, do you
    ? Think about it.

    "A realistic economy is high on the list of things which make
    the game world seem more like a 'real' one, so I hope
    Bethesda takes a good long look at this problem before
    Oblivion gets too far along. "

    Hmm, and who in a fishing village of 20 people is supposed
    to have 200K to spend on anything, let alone a stupid
    sword that is too heavy to lift? I think the MW crew DID
    make the monetary system "realistic" in this respect.

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:43:17 GMT, "Colin B."
    <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:

    >Is there any rational connection between the monetary value of an item
    >and its 'usability' value?

    Nope! :(

    >I see weapons, for instance, which are listed
    >as being worth a fortune, and are weaker (including magic) than my
    >weapon-in-hand which lists as being worth a tenth as much.

    When I first started playing Morrowind, I was shocked to discover that
    pre-enchanted items with Great Enchantments were CHEAP, however
    getting something enchanted with even simple enchantments could be
    REALLY expensive for a beginner character.

    >And then there are the outrageously expensive items that you can't DO
    >anything with, because there's not a single merchant in the @#*$&#@$ game
    >that has anywhere CLOSE to the 200k required. Why bother with assigning
    >meaningless values like this at all?

    When my first character met Creeper in Caldera, he said he was
    creeping, so I played the rest of the game without ever knowing that
    Creeper was one of the BEST Merchants in the game (that character also
    never met the Mudcrab Merchant). :( With later characters I set a
    Mark spell near Creeper, then dumped the good stuff on the floor near
    him until he had enough cheaper items in his inventory to trade for
    them.

    However now to save time, I use a rich Creeper mod that gives Creeper
    1 million gold per day. Granted my current level 29 character has
    collected over 7 million gold which is an Insane amount in Morrowind,
    so he likes to drop excess piles of 1 million gold pieces, on remote
    rocks or other places he finds in the game... ^_^

    >That's my wish for Oblivion: items with rational values, and merchants with
    >enough cash to buy more than junk. (Suran is particularly bad--nobody has
    >more than 900 gold ANYWHERE!)

    In an un-modded game, Creeper in Caldera has 5000 gold per day, and he
    pays FULL value for stuff! The Mudcrab Merchant who is on a little
    island next to the island with the Dwarven ruin of Mzahnch (south of
    Suran), has 10,000 gold per day to buy stuff and he also pays full
    price.

    Keep in mind that the Mudcrab Merchant looks like any other mudcrab,
    so when in doubt try talking to any mudcrabs you find near Mzahnch. I
    like to put torches on top of the rocks around the Mudcrab Merchant's
    island so my characters can spot it from a distance...

    >Colin

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > However now to save time, I use a rich Creeper mod that gives Creeper
    > 1 million gold per day. Granted my current level 29 character has
    > collected over 7 million gold which is an Insane amount in Morrowind,
    > so he likes to drop excess piles of 1 million gold pieces, on remote
    > rocks or other places he finds in the game... ^_^

    I wonder what it would take to mod the game so that gold has weight. Like
    ..01 per coin. You couldn't carry more than 50,000 at maxed strength without
    being encumbered. Less than that if you count other items, more if you have
    CE Feather or Fortify Strength gear, but overall, it would balance out to
    about 50,000. They'd need to add banks, like the one in Havish, just so you
    aren't carrying all that cash around at once. Of course, that might just
    get annoying, as people would end up dropping several piles of gold next to
    their favorite Enchant merchant just to get the more powerful enchantments.
    Actually, one idea that might help that is to have any gold pile left on the
    ground slowly shrink over time. Or the Enchant merchant could just see it
    and take it while you're off getting another pile, and then play dumb when
    you asked where your money went. Hmm. Too much realism, maybe?

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>However now to save time, I use a rich Creeper mod that gives Creeper
    >>1 million gold per day. Granted my current level 29 character has
    >>collected over 7 million gold which is an Insane amount in Morrowind,
    >>so he likes to drop excess piles of 1 million gold pieces, on remote
    >>rocks or other places he finds in the game... ^_^
    >

    > I wonder what it would take to mod the game so that gold has weight. Like
    > .01 per coin. You couldn't carry more than 50,000 at maxed strength without
    > being encumbered. Less than that if you count other items, more if you have
    > CE Feather or Fortify Strength gear, but overall, it would balance out to
    > about 50,000. They'd need to add banks, like the one in Havish, just so you
    > aren't carrying all that cash around at once. Of course, that might just
    > get annoying, as people would end up dropping several piles of gold next to
    > their favorite Enchant merchant just to get the more powerful enchantments.
    > Actually, one idea that might help that is to have any gold pile left on the
    > ground slowly shrink over time. Or the Enchant merchant could just see it
    > and take it while you're off getting another pile, and then play dumb when
    > you asked where your money went. Hmm. Too much realism, maybe?

    Daggerfall had banks and letters of credit. I don't know why they
    didn't keep them in Morrowind. Not only could you pay for items with a
    letter of credit (if it was drawn on the region's bank) but the merchant
    would then give you a letter of credit for the change.

    Briarroot wrote:
    >...>
    > You missed the point. If the economy in Morrowind were
    > realistic there wouldn't be so many items on Vvardenfell
    > worth more than the locals can afford to pay. So why are
    > expensive items even in the game?
    > ...>
    > I'd like to see a better effort for Oblivion. I want the
    > NPCs to seem like they have real lives, not be the frozen
    > mannequins they are in Morrowind. I want to see carts full
    > of goods traveling the roads. I want to see ships unloading
    > at the wharfs in the port cities. I want to see commerce in
    > action. I want to see people *other* than my characters,
    > engaged in the typical activities that people normally
    > occupy their days with. I want a world that seems real.

    There are several mods that change some of these things that
    you might be happy with. Morrowind Comes Alive and Tadeaus(sp?)
    Balanced Mods come to mind here.

    One of the things I really do like about MW is that users can
    make mods to "fix" the game balance issues they dislike.

    DeAnn wrote:
    > "A realistic economy is high on the list of things which make
    > the game world seem more like a 'real' one, so I hope
    > Bethesda takes a good long look at this problem before
    > Oblivion gets too far along. "
    >
    > Hmm, and who in a fishing village of 20 people is supposed
    > to have 200K to spend on anything, let alone a stupid
    > sword that is too heavy to lift? I think the MW crew DID
    > make the monetary system "realistic" in this respect.

    You missed the point. If the economy in Morrowind were
    realistic there wouldn't be so many items on Vvardenfell
    worth more than the locals can afford to pay. So why are
    expensive items even in the game?
    Being able to saunter into town with a sword I've dug up in
    some ruin and discovering that it is worth more than the
    whole town, throws everything out of kilter. Why are items
    evaluated at being worth so much gold? Would the average
    merchant even be able to put a price on a rare artifact like
    a magical item? And where exactly does that guy in
    Ghostgate, selling Glass Armor, think he's going to find his
    potential customers? I don't think anything should be worth
    more than say, 10,000gp. And that only for the rarest items
    of antiquity. None of these 400,000gp hammers, please!
    Don't get me wrong, Morrowind is a great game, but the
    so-called economy is completely whacked.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    > I wonder what it would take to mod the game so that gold has weight. Like
    > .01 per coin.

    Some mods do this. However, I only saw one which does it without messing
    your total encumberance over time. Most mods just add some weight to the
    gold coin object. This doesn't work. Especially the goldweight.esp
    bundled in Indy-Bank is one of those (but it's optional, you can use the
    bank without the goldweight).
    There is vn_goldweight (at Morrowind Summit), which goes a different
    approach: It leaves coins alone and a script adds or removes a stock of
    dummy objects to your inventory, so you have the same number of dummies
    as coins, but the dummies create the weight effect. This works without
    messing your encumberance.

    Talking about Daggerfall banks: Indy-Bank adds them to Morrowind.
    Account deposit/withdraw, letter of credits, loans etc. Quite nice. Just
    trash the goldweight.esp from indy-Bank and use vn_goldweight instead,
    or no goldweight at all.

    > Some mods do this. However, I only saw one which does it without messing
    > your total encumberance over time. Most mods just add some weight to the
    > gold coin object. This doesn't work. Especially the goldweight.esp
    > bundled in Indy-Bank is one of those (but it's optional, you can use the
    > bank without the goldweight).
    > There is vn_goldweight (at Morrowind Summit), which goes a different
    > approach: It leaves coins alone and a script adds or removes a stock of
    > dummy objects to your inventory, so you have the same number of dummies
    > as coins, but the dummies create the weight effect. This works without
    > messing your encumberance.

    I'm just remembering how Diablo I did it. You had a limited amount of slots
    for items in your inventory. I suit of armor would take 6 slots, a helm
    would take 4, a dagger would take 2, and a potion would take 1, for example.
    But gold was an item that would take up a slot. No pile of gold could be
    larger than 5000, I think. So if you wanted to carry more than 5000 gold,
    you needed to use 2 inventory slots for it. More than 10000 required 3,
    etc. Diablo II completely got rid of this aspect of it, and made gold
    weightless, the same way as it is in MW by default. (Although in MW, the
    gold does still appear in the inventory, while D2 had it in a seperate field
    on the screen.)

    I'm not sure if I'd like that dummy-object method. I try to carry as little
    unnecessary stuff in my inventory as possible. (I'd rather drop it off in a
    house or something so I can carry more stuff without having to come back to
    town all the time.) Any mod which makes it necessary to carry around more
    stuff is kind of annoying. (One of the reasons why I WON'T install
    Necessities of Morrowind or Complete Morrowind. It's not that I mind the
    having-to-eat part so much as I don't want to have to be bothered carrying
    all those pots and pans and food around. If they made a seperate inventory
    tab just for food-related items or something like that, I might not mind so
    much...)

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:38:54 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> However now to save time, I use a rich Creeper mod that gives Creeper
    >> 1 million gold per day. Granted my current level 29 character has
    >> collected over 7 million gold which is an Insane amount in Morrowind,
    >> so he likes to drop excess piles of 1 million gold pieces, on remote
    >> rocks or other places he finds in the game... ^_^
    >
    >I wonder what it would take to mod the game so that gold has weight.

    Not much - there are several mods that do that already. Search for 'gold
    weight' and you'll find a few.

    > Like
    >.01 per coin. You couldn't carry more than 50,000 at maxed strength without
    >being encumbered. Less than that if you count other items, more if you have
    >CE Feather or Fortify Strength gear, but overall, it would balance out to
    >about 50,000. They'd need to add banks, like the one in Havish, just so you
    >aren't carrying all that cash around at once.

    That is the main purpose behind most of the bank mods. There are a few
    of these also.

    DeAnn wrote:
    > "A realistic economy is high on the list of things which make
    > the game world seem more like a 'real' one, so I hope
    > Bethesda takes a good long look at this problem before
    > Oblivion gets too far along. "
    >
    > Hmm, and who in a fishing village of 20 people is supposed
    > to have 200K to spend on anything, let alone a stupid
    > sword that is too heavy to lift? I think the MW crew DID
    > make the monetary system "realistic" in this respect.

    My biggest gripe was that once you sold an item it stayed in stock
    unless you bought it back. What kind of economy can survive on this
    kind of model? While a merchant may buy the odd glass dagger it is not
    going to be to display on the shelves. He is going to sell it as soon
    as possible, if not to a local to another dealer. There is no way a
    merchant is going to keep 10 full suits of orcish armor in stock.

    > My biggest gripe was that once you sold an item it stayed in stock
    > unless you bought it back. What kind of economy can survive on this
    > kind of model? While a merchant may buy the odd glass dagger it is not
    > going to be to display on the shelves. He is going to sell it as soon
    > as possible, if not to a local to another dealer. There is no way a
    > merchant is going to keep 10 full suits of orcish armor in stock.

    The funniest part is when you sell him the orcish armor, and he decides it's
    better than the clothes he had on before, so he automatically equips it all.
    Happened to me one time when I sold a set of Dark Brotherhood armor from an
    assassin I killed, and then suddenly the armor merchant looked exactly like
    an assassin. I swear I almost attacked him before I realized what
    happened...

    > There are several mods that change some of these things that
    > you might be happy with. Morrowind Comes Alive and Tadeaus(sp?)
    > Balanced Mods come to mind here.

    Exactly. Taddeus balance pack fixes the item values nicely. It doesn't
    repair the fundamentally broken Morrowind economy, but that's a too huge
    task to be done in a mod.
    With Taddeus balance pack my characters usually consider themselves rich
    with 50,000 septims on the bank. And that at level 30. The drawback here
    is, for some neat mods like the Stormrider ship you need huge amounts of
    cash (200,000 septims for that ship), which is quite unreachable when
    using Taddeus balance mods except modding the mod so the ship costs
    20,000 only instead, which still is a lot of cash when running Taddeus
    stuff.

    > One of the things I really do like about MW is that users can
    > make mods to "fix" the game balance issues they dislike.

    Yes. Without mods Morrowind would have vanished from my harddisk
    already. Let's hope this trend will continue in Oblivion.

    Peter

    "DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > One of the things I really do like about MW is that users can
    > make mods to "fix" the game balance issues they dislike.

    I really love that users can make mods, period. And that all these lovely
    mods are available to me (well, a couple are downloaded and awaiting a
    computer upgrade....)

    My addiction.... how many mods can I run before this thing goes belly up?

    Warm fuzzies to all modders out there.

    <smiles>

    Starwolf

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    >> My biggest gripe was that once you sold an item it stayed in stock
    >> unless you bought it back. What kind of economy can survive on this
    >> kind of model? While a merchant may buy the odd glass dagger it is not
    >> going to be to display on the shelves. He is going to sell it as soon
    >> as possible, if not to a local to another dealer. There is no way a
    >> merchant is going to keep 10 full suits of orcish armor in stock.
    >
    > The funniest part is when you sell him the orcish armor, and he decides
    > it's
    > better than the clothes he had on before, so he automatically equips it
    > all.
    > Happened to me one time when I sold a set of Dark Brotherhood armor from
    > an
    > assassin I killed, and then suddenly the armor merchant looked exactly
    > like
    > an assassin. I swear I almost attacked him before I realized what
    > happened...

    I know there's a mod that fixes the merchants so they don't equip the armor
    when you sell it to them. If anybody knows what it is, please tell me,
    because I cant remember and cant find, so right now I just am saving all the
    freakin helmets I find, particularly the Dark Brotherhood helmets (even
    though I need the $$ they are worth), because I HATE HATE HATE how the
    merchants all look in those helmets.

    Starwolf

    > I know there's a mod that fixes the merchants so they don't equip the
    armor
    > when you sell it to them. If anybody knows what it is, please tell me,
    > because I cant remember and cant find, so right now I just am saving all
    the
    > freakin helmets I find, particularly the Dark Brotherhood helmets (even
    > though I need the $$ they are worth), because I HATE HATE HATE how the
    > merchants all look in those helmets.

    Wouldn't be that hard to do, actually. Just make a copy of some
    ordinary-looking armor, like Nordic Fur or something, and give it insanely
    high defense, then equip it on every armor merchant in the game. If you're
    feeling more adventurous, make it just look like a shirt. To make sure that
    players don't take advantage of it by killing an armor merchant for his
    great armor, make it extremely heavy, like 500 weight for each piece. So
    the merchant will be seriously encumbered. It's not like they ever move
    around anyhow...

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>My biggest gripe was that once you sold an item it stayed in stock
    >>unless you bought it back. What kind of economy can survive on this
    >>kind of model? While a merchant may buy the odd glass dagger it is not
    >>going to be to display on the shelves. He is going to sell it as soon
    >>as possible, if not to a local to another dealer. There is no way a
    >>merchant is going to keep 10 full suits of orcish armor in stock.
    >

    > The funniest part is when you sell him the orcish armor, and he decides it's
    > better than the clothes he had on before, so he automatically equips it all.
    > Happened to me one time when I sold a set of Dark Brotherhood armor from an
    > assassin I killed, and then suddenly the armor merchant looked exactly like
    > an assassin. I swear I almost attacked him before I realized what
    > happened...

    That was something else that bothered me. Why would a merchant buy
    something and then wear it instead of selling it for a profit? It's
    almost as the merchants are more rich collectors that have a daily
    allowance rather than a business. The only ones that really seem to
    have a decent business model is the trainers. Even the smiths will
    collect items.
    The other thing was where does all the money come from? There seems to
    be no one actually producing goods or selling them or buying them except
    the player. At least in Arena and Daggerfall you could never be sure
    what a merchant had in stock. The only problem with them was that the
    items were leveled so that you could not find ebony in stock until you
    reached a certain skill level. So beginners were stuck with "cheap"
    equipment and only after they survived for a period were they allowed to
    see and touch the better goods.

    In article <1107941897.025719.117570@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    von.sagrillo@verizon.net says...
    > "A realistic economy is high on the list of things which make
    > the game world seem more like a 'real' one, so I hope
    > Bethesda takes a good long look at this problem before
    > Oblivion gets too far along. "
    >
    > Hmm, and who in a fishing village of 20 people is supposed
    > to have 200K to spend on anything, let alone a stupid
    > sword that is too heavy to lift? I think the MW crew DID
    > make the monetary system "realistic" in this respect.

    LOL - you're absolutely right. Then again, some rich_as_Rockefeller
    Hlaatu lord with a passion for collecting odd weaponry could send you to
    his factor with a scrip 'give this guy 200,000 gp, Arn, he had that
    Leaden Katana of Demon Burning that I always wanted for the living room
    wall'.

    -Peter

    I think the MW designers were just trying to give players a
    lot of flexibility for ways to succeed at the game. For a while, I,
    too, dropped off stuff at Creepers. Eventually, I realized that
    one did not have to recover "list price" for objects to succeed
    monetarily. My characters have been MUCH richer ever
    since. I take what I can get, and drop the really expensive
    stuff off at an enchanters feel (Galbadier's) to trade in to
    get my $$ back when I want expensive enchantments made.
    And I leave a lot of stuff lying behind...not just spoons and
    pots. In the later game, you really don't need to carry more
    thant 1 or 2 Daedric Axes around with you to sell later,
    do you? :-)

    FTA wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:43:17 GMT, "Colin B."
    > <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:
    >
    > Keep in mind that the Mudcrab Merchant looks like any other mudcrab,
    > so when in doubt try talking to any mudcrabs you find near Mzahnch. I
    > like to put torches on top of the rocks around the Mudcrab Merchant's
    > island so my characters can spot it from a distance...
    >>
    >> Colin

    When I discovered the stupid Creeper/Mudcrab thing I ended my game soon
    afterwards...it's so stupid...wtf were they thinking? If it wasn't for being
    able to balance the financial system with mods I wouldn't play the game
    anymore.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>My biggest gripe was that once you sold an item it stayed in stock
    >>unless you bought it back. What kind of economy can survive on this
    >>kind of model? While a merchant may buy the odd glass dagger it is not
    >>going to be to display on the shelves. He is going to sell it as soon
    >>as possible, if not to a local to another dealer. There is no way a
    >>merchant is going to keep 10 full suits of orcish armor in stock.
    >

    > The funniest part is when you sell him the orcish armor, and he decides it's
    > better than the clothes he had on before, so he automatically equips it all.
    > Happened to me one time when I sold a set of Dark Brotherhood armor from an
    > assassin I killed, and then suddenly the armor merchant looked exactly like
    > an assassin. I swear I almost attacked him before I realized what
    > happened...

    I wonder if it would be possible to mod the game to make the merchants
    more "realistic". I don't think it should be too hard for them to only
    regenerate cash and items on say a weekly basis (when the wholesaler
    came around). At the same time anything over their normal inventory
    levels would be sold off. Also if they sold a bunch of items their cash
    would drop to their set level the next day (deposit the money in a
    bank), but if they bought a bunch of stuff they would have less cash
    until they could sell it off. A final fix would be to max the price
    they would pay for an item at say 40% and the minimum they would accept
    for an item they are selling would be say 50%. They should be making a
    profit and would not carry a lot of "unsellable" items in inventory.

    The mod to stop merchants wearing what you sell them is called "fashionable
    merchants"

    "Bev" <kitiaramajere4591@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > The mod to stop merchants wearing what you sell them is called
    > "fashionable merchants"

    Bless you.

    Starwolf

    Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday, Peter Huebner
    <no.one@this.address> committed the following:

    > Then again, some rich_as_Rockefeller
    > Hlaatu lord with a passion for collecting odd weaponry could send you to
    > his factor with a scrip 'give this guy 200,000 gp, Arn, he had that
    > Leaden Katana of Demon Burning that I always wanted for the living room
    > wall'.
    >
    > -Peter

    I smell a mod idea.
    --
    Rev. Cardboard Box, setting the bad example
    www.livejournal.com/users/revcardboardbox

Connection Video Games