Check other ISP MX records

Is there any way from within Win XP to be able to check the mx records for a
particular ISP of your choice?

I have a user in Sydney who is having mail issue's connecting to out mail
server over port 80 and wanted to check the mx records for his local ISP.
We are based in the UK and a simple nslookup defines the mx records
according to our ISP.

In article <khtnd.126$YJ2.56@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
kenny.walker@ntlworld says...
> Is there any way from within Win XP to be able to check the mx records for a
> particular ISP of your choice?
>
> I have a user in Sydney who is having mail issue's connecting to out mail
> server over port 80 and wanted to check the mx records for his local ISP.
> We are based in the UK and a simple nslookup defines the mx records
> according to our ISP.

Mail runs over SMTP on port 25.

If you are talking about Web Mail, then he doesn't need to know the MX
record, or anything else, it sends/recv's through your email servers web
interface via his browser connection to you.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <khtnd.126$YJ2.56@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
> kenny.walker@ntlworld says...
>> Is there any way from within Win XP to be able to check the mx records
>> for a
>> particular ISP of your choice?

nslookup
set type=mx
isp.com

Example:

C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP>nslookup
Default Server: ns1.digirealm.com
Address: 166.90.244.250

> set type=mx
> dynedge.com
Server: ns1.digirealm.com
Address: 166.90.244.250

dynedge.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.dynedge.com
dynedge.com nameserver = ns2.digirealm.com
dynedge.com nameserver = ns1.digirealm.com
mail.dynedge.com internet address = 63.215.163.93
ns1.digirealm.com internet address = 166.90.244.250
ns2.digirealm.com internet address = 166.90.244.252

>> I have a user in Sydney who is having mail issue's connecting to out mail
>> server over port 80 and wanted to check the mx records for his local ISP.
>> We are based in the UK and a simple nslookup defines the mx records
>> according to our ISP.

Matt
MCT, MCSE

lee

Port 80 is used for HTTP. Outgoing mail would use port 25 for smtp. Enter
nslookup in interactive mode (by typing nslookup at the command prompt)
then set the type to MX (set type=mx) and then type in the ISP's domain
name. It should return the names of the mail servers. Exit nslookup and
then telnet to the server at port 25 => telnet isp-mx-server-name 25. A
positive response means the server is reachable.

Lee