A8N-SLI Deluxe will not POST - and an interesting SOLUTION

loiphin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I have had my A8N-SLI deluxe for just over a year now, and its been running fine with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Winchester) CPU and 4 x 512MB of Crucial memory (DDR400, CL3).

Just the other day I was messing around with loading Mac OS X (yes you can, see www.osx64project.org) on my machine, and it wasnt working properly. So I kept shutting and restarting my computer, as I don't have a reset button on my case. I must have shut my PC down about twenty times that evening. But for some reason I managed to kill the whole box.

When I tried to start it up, it did absolutely nothing. Not a beep, no video, no fans nothing! The only indication I had that the A8N-SLI had power, was the illuminated Green LED on the board. I must have tried to start it a thousand times over the next 3 hours, but it wouldnt budge. I removed every conceivable piece of hardware, tried every combination... but still it would not POST.

The following day I decided to remove the motherboard from the chassis, and put in just memory and CPU and try through process of elimination to figure out what went wrong. I must have been messing with it for an hour or so when it suddenly sprang to life. I then shut it down again, and again it would not start. So I messed around again for ages, and finally got it to start again. It was definitely a motherboard problem and not CPU/Video or RAM.

To cut a long story short, I worked out (and this is crazy!) that in order to get my motherboard to boot, I had to remove the power switch plug (there is nothing wrong with the power switch in case you were guessing)from the motherboard connector and manually short the pins with a steel shafted screwdriver. I worked out that I needed to use a steel shafted screwdriver, and not be earthed to anything. If I used a plastic handled screwdriver or a steel shafted one and intentionally earthed myself (by holding onto the power supply), it would not work!

I know, its madness... but I did it over and over again and it worked. It seems that when I hold the steelshafted screwdriver, and me being an antenna... I must induce some frequency into the screwdriver and when I short it out, it springs to life... that the only reasoning I have to understand why this works.

The next thing I did was put the motherboard back into the chassis. It then refused to work outright. I guess its now because the motherboard is earthed to the power supply.

So my solution still sucks, because in order to run my PC , the motherboard must be isolated and I have to get in there with a steel shafted screwdriver. I have ordered a replacement motherboard and will RMA this one.

Crappy solution I know, but perhaps some brainbox out there can figure out why this works and potentially how to fix the mobo.

loi.

loiphin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I ended up replacing my Antec Neo Power 480w supply and this solved the problem. So there was something strange with the PSU and not the motherboard.