Win2000 prof joining domain problem

How come my Win2000 prof. cannot join domain ? In the network
identification tab under my computer, the Network ID button is
grayed/disabled. Even i go to rename my computer, it won't allow me to
select workgroup or domain. Pls advise. Thanks

Regards
Daniel

Daniel Tan wrote:
> How come my Win2000 prof. cannot join domain ? In the network
> identification tab under my computer, the Network ID button is
> grayed/disabled. Even i go to rename my computer, it won't allow me to
> select workgroup or domain. Pls advise. Thanks
>
> Regards
> Daniel

Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Daniel Tan wrote:
> > How come my Win2000 prof. cannot join domain ? In the network
> > identification tab under my computer, the Network ID button is
> > grayed/disabled. Even i go to rename my computer, it won't allow me to
> > select workgroup or domain. Pls advise. Thanks
> >
> > Regards
> > Daniel
>
> Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
> Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....

I agree but one MIGHT argue (I won't however) that most
such problems (authentication of WS to the domain) are
caused by fault DNS setup.

But if he knew enough about that to post to the DNS group
on purpose then he would just fix it.

Most likely cause IN THIS CASE:

Windows 2000 workstation HOME Edition

Reason: The Domain/workstation elements are greyed out;
implying that his machine doesn't support being a domain
member.

On the other hand I could be wrong and it might be a DNS
problem <GRIN>

--
Herb Martin

In news:O$%23%23u90zEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com>
> wrote in message
>> Daniel Tan wrote:
>>> How come my Win2000 prof. cannot join domain ? In the
>>> network identification tab under my computer, the
>>> Network ID button is grayed/disabled. Even i go to
>>> rename my computer, it won't allow me to select
>>> workgroup or domain. Pls advise. Thanks
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
>> Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....
>
> I agree but one MIGHT argue (I won't however) that most
> such problems (authentication of WS to the domain) are
> caused by fault DNS setup.
>
> But if he knew enough about that to post to the DNS group
> on purpose then he would just fix it.
>
> Most likely cause IN THIS CASE:
>
> Windows 2000 workstation HOME Edition
>
> Reason: The Domain/workstation elements are greyed out;
> implying that his machine doesn't support being a domain
> member.
>
> On the other hand I could be wrong and it might be a DNS
> problem <GRIN>

Windows 2000 never came in a Home Edition. Only Professional and Server.

Check to make sure Client for MS Networks is installed and bound on at least
one adapter.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In article <O$##u90zEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, news@LearnQuick.com
says...
> Windows 2000 workstation HOME Edition

Is that like Windows 98 Server edition :)

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Leythos wrote:
> In article <O$##u90zEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
> news@LearnQuick.com says...
>> Windows 2000 workstation HOME Edition
>
> Is that like Windows 98 Server edition :)

More like the Outlook Server, I think.

I should have know I was messing up saying ANYTHING
about home edition, since I know almost nothing about it
(even in XP-home)

--
Herb Martin

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <O$##u90zEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, news@LearnQuick.com
> says...
> > Windows 2000 workstation HOME Edition
>
> Is that like Windows 98 Server edition :)

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Hi Lanwench, yes i logon as administator and this machine doesn't
participate in any domain. BTW sorry maybe i thought that it relates
to any of the domain authentication issue or whatever.

Regards
Daniel

Daniel Tan wrote:
> Hi Lanwench, yes i logon as administator and this machine doesn't
> participate in any domain. BTW sorry maybe i thought that it relates
> to any of the domain authentication issue or whatever.

Check your event logs?

In news:O7ch3c4zEHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> made a post then I commented below
> I should have know I was messing up saying ANYTHING
> about home edition, since I know almost nothing about it
> (even in XP-home)

Not much to know about it, other than the many built-in limitations it, such
as not being able to join a domain, keeping mapped drives, etc.

Ace

Hi, nothing inside the event viewer say anything abt it.

Regards
Daniel

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<#sve0B#zEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Daniel Tan wrote:
> > Hi Lanwench, yes i logon as administator and this machine doesn't
> > participate in any domain. BTW sorry maybe i thought that it relates
> > to any of the domain authentication issue or whatever.
>
> Check your event logs?
>

> > Regards
> > Daniel
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:<Oq$2t#xzEHA.3972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...

> >> Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
> >> Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....

In news:6a6a9040.0411220917.3892c4da@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi, nothing inside the event viewer say anything abt it.

Did you check the Client for Microsoft Networks?
254952 - Workgroup and Domain Name Commands in Network Properties Are
Unavailable
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254952