Problem with IE not resolving

I have a problem in Win2k Pro with IE 6.0 not resolving DNS. If I use
NSLOOKUP, it resolves OK (eg www.google.com resolves to
216.239.59.104,216.239.59.99), but IE returns the "cannot find server"
message. If I enter the IP address into IE, it is OK. Other PCs (Win2K
& XP) on the same LAN are OK.

In case my firewall (NIS 2005) was causing a problem, I've tried
disabling it, but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Roger

stuart

Are you using a proxy server? Are your network settings the same as the
other computers?

Roger Sibley wrote:
> I have a problem in Win2k Pro with IE 6.0 not resolving DNS. If I use
> NSLOOKUP, it resolves OK (eg www.google.com resolves to
> 216.239.59.104,216.239.59.99), but IE returns the "cannot find server"
> message. If I enter the IP address into IE, it is OK. Other PCs (Win2K
> & XP) on the same LAN are OK.
>
> In case my firewall (NIS 2005) was causing a problem, I've tried
> disabling it, but it makes no difference.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Roger

No proxy server, just direct from PC to router. In IE, the connection
settings are the same. The Win2k network settings differ slightly from
the other PCs due to a different NIC, otherwise the same - DHCP etc.

stuart <stuart.maxwell@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<Cy_nd.6936$3U4.179220@news02.tsnz.net>...
> Are you using a proxy server? Are your network settings the same as the
> other computers?

Have you tried doing an "ipconfig /flushdns" to remove any dead-entries
that may be in your dns cache? Also, you could try web surfing in
another browser to pinpoint whether IE is actually at fault.

on 23/11/2004 9:55 a.m. Roger Sibley said the following:
> No proxy server, just direct from PC to router. In IE, the connection
> settings are the same. The Win2k network settings differ slightly from
> the other PCs due to a different NIC, otherwise the same - DHCP etc.
>

> stuart <stuart.maxwell@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<Cy_nd.6936$3U4.179220@news02.tsnz.net>...
>
>>Are you using a proxy server? Are your network settings the same as the
>>other computers?

Stuart,

I appreciate your help on this, thanks.

I've tried "ipconfig /flushdns" but that makes no difference

I've also tried installing & using Netscape, but again it makes no
difference - at least this has eliminated IE.

It seems strange that NSLOOKUP should work, but nothing else that I've
tried - does NSLOOKUP resolve addresses any differently from other
apps?

Reinstalling the NIC drivers also made no difference.

Running out of ideas, other than a reinstall of Windows.

stuartm <stuart.maxwell@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<yVAod.7153$3U4.194514@news02.tsnz.net>...
> Have you tried doing an "ipconfig /flushdns" to remove any dead-entries
> that may be in your dns cache? Also, you could try web surfing in
> another browser to pinpoint whether IE is actually at fault.

In news:bf1a21b5.0411231202.60b61797@posting.google.com,
Roger Sibley <roger.sibley.google@rosib.co.uk> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Stuart,
>
> I appreciate your help on this, thanks.
>
> I've tried "ipconfig /flushdns" but that makes no
> difference
>
> I've also tried installing & using Netscape, but again it
> makes no
> difference - at least this has eliminated IE.
>
> It seems strange that NSLOOKUP should work, but nothing
> else that I've
> tried - does NSLOOKUP resolve addresses any differently
> from other
> apps?
>
> Reinstalling the NIC drivers also made no difference.
>
> Running out of ideas, other than a reinstall of Windows.

Check to see if you have a corrupted Winsock.
811259 - How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259
817571 - You receive an An operation was attempted on something that is not
a socket error message when you try to connect to:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]