Broadband DNS & Server DNS

Hi,

Where do I put the broadband DNS on W2K server so that XP Pro clients can
get the DNS to connect to the internet. For the XP clients, I put the our
server DNS on Preferred DNS Server and the Broadband DNS on the Alternate
DNS Server and it doesn't connect to the internet.

Thanks.

Jusong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where do I put the broadband DNS on W2K server so that XP Pro clients
> can get the DNS to connect to the internet. For the XP clients, I put
> the our server DNS on Preferred DNS Server and the Broadband DNS on
> the Alternate DNS Server and it doesn't connect to the internet.
>
> Thanks.

If you're running Windows DNS on this server, set up forwarders to your
ISP's DNS servers in the DNS management console (properties of server).
You'll need to remove the "." root domain first. Then have all your clients
& servers specify *only* the internal DNS server's IP in their IP configs -
no external DNS server IPs.

Thanks, everything is working fine now.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Jusong wrote:
> Thanks, everything is working fine now.

Glad to hear it.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:OYZTXiJ0EHA.1860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Jusong wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Where do I put the broadband DNS on W2K server so that XP Pro
>>> clients can get the DNS to connect to the internet. For the XP
>>> clients, I put the our server DNS on Preferred DNS Server and the
>>> Broadband DNS on the Alternate DNS Server and it doesn't connect to
>>> the internet.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> If you're running Windows DNS on this server, set up forwarders to
>> your ISP's DNS servers in the DNS management console (properties of
>> server). You'll need to remove the "." root domain first. Then have
>> all your clients
>> & servers specify *only* the internal DNS server's IP in their IP
>> configs -
>> no external DNS server IPs.

J> Where do I put the broadband DNS on W2K server

Your question is a leading one that assumes a falsehood as its premise,
and is thus unanswerable. One does not, necessarily, use one's ISP's
DNS services in any way.

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-server-roles.html#ChoosingProxy>

J> For the XP clients, I put the our server DNS on Preferred DNS Server
J> and the Broadband DNS on the Alternate DNS Server

Don't do that.

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-client-all-proxies-must-provide-same-service.html>

J> and it doesn't connect to the internet.

There you go. Don't do that.

I'm just curious, why do I need to delete the "." root domain.

In news:41a3fb7d_2@news.tm.net.my,
Jusong <jusong@pc.jaring.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm just curious, why do I need to delete the "." root
> domain.

You need to delete it or delegate all Top Level Domains i.e. .com, net org
etc.
Deleting it enables Root Hints and allows DNS to search the Root servers and
TLD servers to resolve external names. If you don't need internet access you
don't need to delete it, if you want internet access you do need to delete
it or delegate it.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]