DNS/RFC and includes

fe

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004

Guys,

If you check the DNS RFCs, you can see that we can use a $INCLUDE parameter
in the Myzone.dns file to ask the DNS service to include all the records that
are in an external file

For example :

MyZone.DNS
$include Countrya.dns
$include countryb.dns

It is very nice if you have a lot of names and if you want to split them in
different files.

Here is my question ...

According to the RFC (which is in UNIX) we can specify a full path to the
include files... but on Windows it does not work.. and I don't want to have
my file in the c:\windows\system32\dns directory...

I tried :
$include c:\mydir\mars.dns
$include "c:\mydir\mars.dns"

.. but when I start the service, it appears in red in the MMC.

Do you have any advice ? I am stuck ..

Thanks for your help

Regards

In news:99A0C16B-367C-43A4-A0B6-A7DC1F467C79@microsoft.com,
fe <fe@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Thanks for the post.
>
> There we go : RFC 1035 defines the format as:
>
> An example :
>
> $ORIGIN uk.mydomain.com.
> @ IN NS ns2.mydomain.com.
> ; ns2.mydomain.com services uk.mydomain.com
>
> $INCLUDE /path/to/file ; no ORIGIN
> ; INCLUDE file statements
> www IN A 192.168.23.15
> ;www.uk.mydomain.com = 192.168.23.15
> ; end of included file
>
> ftp IN A 192.168.35.16
> ; ftp.uk.mydomain.com = 192.168.35.16
>

> Thanks for your help
>
> Regards

I haven't tried it, but have you tried it using the system variables
defining the path, such as %systemroot%, etc.

--
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!