bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I'm still in the proccess of trying to get everything working with my new PC (haven't even installed windows xp yet) and noticed whilst wandering through the BIOS of my Asus P5W DH Deluxe that my new E6600 was apparantly running at 66.4c 8O

I'm guessing this is a bug, for three reasons:

a) Conroe's have a max operating temperature of 60.1c apparantly, so if this was true my conroe should have blown up by now
b) When i touched the heatsink afterwards (the little fins around the edge) they didn't feel that hot, a bit warm, but certainly not hot
c) Why on earth would the BIOS drive the CPU so hard to reach that temp

But i was wondering if i could be wrong and i just had a very lucky escape, despite thinking it's a bug it's still damn worrying when your BIOS shows it as that hot... anyone got any idea on what could be causing it to say it's that hot? Or is the BIOS actually telling the truth!?

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Just realised what my problem could be after reading a different thread... I'm using the retail heatsink and have so far when building my comp attached it once (wrong way round so that the fan cable was facing wrong way) and then re-attached it then due to another reason i also took the heatsink off and put it back on - both times not re-applying thermal paste, putting new stuff on etc

I'm guessing i should buy some new thermal paste and whipe the old stuff off before i start using this computer?

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Well i started it up again and it started to rapidly rise, i mean rapidly, i was watching it go up a degree every few seconds to about 60c when i suddenly thought i must shut down the comp...

So i looked carefully at the CPU fan and realised after reading the other conroe article that you've really got to push it down to make it work properly.... So that's what i did and my computer in BIOS is now idling the following:

CPU: 35/36c
Mobo: 42/43c

This is with an intel retail fan that has been removed a couple of times before and replaced on top of the CPU with no cleaning - can anyone confirm that these are heatly temps?

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Hmm it seems the temps are gradually creeping up, i've now got 36/37c for my CPU and 45/46c for my mobo.... seems to be getting hotter rather worryingly, anyone know if these temps are ok?

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Sorry, not too sure of room temp but i would guess around low to mid 20s, warm, certainly not cold, easily short and t-shirt weather but not too hot... also it might be relevant that the two case sides are not on yet - i wanted to check all fans are working

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
i got 40c with no case fans with 700rpm fan in a room of 18c round abouts and with the case fans on i get 36-37, most ppl core duo run at 40-45 with a room 20-25c, if ur worryed bout temps like iam buy a big tyfoon VX (vx only) as it has stock connecters its bout 100aud thats wot im getting then all is good, so i say again 40-45 is round normal for a 20-25c room temp, ALSO are u using CORE TEMP to get the temps n not ur motherboard software?????

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
At the moment i'm using my BIOS to look at these temperatures (haven't even installed XP yet due to some hard-drive problem which has yet to be solved).

I'm under the 'hardware monitor' bit under the 'power' section of my BIOS

Seems now that the temps are getting steadier - mobo flicks between 46/47 and CPU flicks between 37/38

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
it really depends because the mobo mite only read the temp thingo in the socket and not the real temp like core temp can, and the one of my mobo is bout 6c lower then it really is. so u wont know till u install xp and use core temp and dont worry bout mobo temps, mines passive cooled with cooper heat pips n is 53c so no need to worry bout mobo temps, but u really need to install xp and core temp to make 100%sure, but ur mobo may also be correct but the one on mine isnt so yer,

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Ah ok, thanks for the advice, well once i've got this irritating hard-drive problem out of the way (my comp doesn't recognise them and keeps giving me an error message) i should be able to install XP... even if temps are too low a rise by 6c up to 42/43c would probably still be fine :D (i hope)

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
those temp will be fine, intel says its 100% up to 61c but its max temp is 85 or 85 round bout i think i recall so really as long as it dosnt go over 60 which it no way will even on 35c days then u should be fine, but overclocking is another story

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Ah, ok thanks :D i'll have a more detailed look at it once i get XP installed but it's reassuring for now to know my CPU isn't going to blow up anytime soon - i have enough problems as it is at the moment

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
no worrys ur cpu is fine, but outa everything, if i knew bout new mac pros i wouldnt of built my system but hey its good also be a blessing becuz by the i get a new puter which will be a mac the macpros will be 2x4core so its kinda win win but my system now is like 60% cheaper lol neway, if u need to know nething else just pm me in the days to come

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Just realised what my problem could be after reading a different thread... I'm using the retail heatsink and have so far when building my comp attached it once (wrong way round so that the fan cable was facing wrong way) and then re-attached it then due to another reason i also took the heatsink off and put it back on - both times not re-applying thermal paste, putting new stuff on etc

I'm guessing i should buy some new thermal paste and whipe the old stuff off before i start using this computer?

Yeah, I think that might be a good idea. You can get thermal paste that is better than the stock paste, which should help lower temps even more. It sounds like you are having thermal paste problems because you said that the heatsink wasn't even hot when your CPU was running at 66.4c. Even if that has gone down since then, you should probably replace the paste if you have been taking heatsink off CPU multiple times.

Check this out: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835100007

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Yer, i think i proably will, seems the problem isn't imminent though which is good :D the reason it was running so hot was because the CPU fan wasn't properly attached meaning very very little contact (if any) between the fan and the CPU, hence why the CPU fan wasn't getting that hot, simply because it wasn't touching the very hot processor.

But thanks for the tip, i think i'm just going to try and get everything up and running nicely first then i'll go out and buy some nice little upgrades such as a better CPU fan and nice thermal paste.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Nice... I heard about some people running the C2D with just the heatsink, fan disabled, for 2 hours with no problems. If you tried turning on a P4 with the CPU fan having "very very little contact (if any) between the fan and the CPU", I'm sure you would have one fried CPU. So, I guess that's further proof that the C2D runs nice and cool!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Guys,

Thanks for the useful info. Plz help - I'd like to find some ACCURATE software to monitor CPU temps and mobo temps with an alarm warning system that will tell me if things get hairy. I have the Asus P5W DH mobo and Core2Duo E6600 CPU. Room temps are average.

Need to check temps tonight for first time, but I would like to install some Windows based software LT. WHAT CAN I USE?

Also, just for my own info please confirm:
CUP temps = 35 to 45 degrees are OK
Mobo temps = 45 to 55 degrees are OK

Thanks!

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
i havnt used it but if it nething like gigabyte monitor software i really wouldnt trust it, i only trust CORETEMP as it read rite from the digital thermo

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hey thanks. I'll take a look at CORETEMP. I kind of like the functionality of PC Probe II and all the variables it covers. Are the differences that significant between CORETEMP and PC PROBE II???

yzmark

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I bought an OEM E6600 from TigerDirect, so I bought a big copper CoolerMaster that looks like a small block V-8 sitting on the chip, but it seems to work well. My ASUS utility shows idle temp 28C, with the CPU fan mode set to "optimal." You can hear the fan at this speed (2700), but it's not real loud. If I use the remote to "enable quiet", the idle temp goes up about 10C, cause the CPU fan drops to 1700 and you can barely hear it. I used Arctic Silver 3, not the included thermal paste.