Problems with DNS forwarding

Hi,

I have a Windows 2003 domain within the NHS (uk). My server is part of the
<nhs.uk> domain. For this example my domain will be called <domain1.nhs.uk>.
The problem I'm having is as follows:

I have installed and setup DNS on <DC1.domain1.nhs.uk>. I have set up
Forwarders so any name it can't resolved gets sent to our ISP. However, what
I'm finding is *any* address I send which ends with <nhs.uk> (other than
domain1.nhs.uk) is trying to be resolved by my DNS server. It's not going
any further and therefore is failing.

What I basically need to do is set up my DNS so anything in the domain
<domain1.nhs.uk> is resolved by my DNS servers, but *everything* else is
forwarded to my ISP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis.

====================================
When replying by email please remove the X
====================================

Hello Curtis,

What is the name of the Forward Lookup Zone on your DNS server? It
sounds like your zone could be called "nhs.uk" and "domain1" is a
sub-domain of nhs.uk. Your Forward Lookup Zone should be called
"domain1.nhs.uk", can you confirm this.

--
John Negus
MSEtechnology

"Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Windows 2003 domain within the NHS (uk). My server is part of
> the <nhs.uk> domain. For this example my domain will be called
> <domain1.nhs.uk>. The problem I'm having is as follows:
>
> I have installed and setup DNS on <DC1.domain1.nhs.uk>. I have set up
> Forwarders so any name it can't resolved gets sent to our ISP.
> However, what I'm finding is *any* address I send which ends with
> <nhs.uk> (other than domain1.nhs.uk) is trying to be resolved by my
> DNS server. It's not going any further and therefore is failing.
>
> What I basically need to do is set up my DNS so anything in the domain
> <domain1.nhs.uk> is resolved by my DNS servers, but *everything* else
> is forwarded to my ISP.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curtis.
>
> ====================================
> When replying by email please remove the X

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I may have jumped the gun a bit with regards to this.
It seems to be specifically emails sent from Exchange 2003 which are having
problems and not a DNS problem in general.

I'll make a post in the Exchange group.

Thanks again for your input. I have checked and my DNS is set up as per your
suggestions.

Regards,

Curtis.