An strange IP from Parent folder.

Hello,

This DNS is only for internally and will forward request to ISP for
external IP resolution. Our internal IP is 192.168.254.XXX. However, I
saw one strange IP as 192.168.234.235 in our DNS and it shows Host(A)
and (same as parent folder). I have tried to delete this IP several
times. However, it will come back in an hour after the deletion. Could
someone help me out that where the IP came from and how I can delete
it permanently?

Thanks a lot

You really don't provide enough information but consider
these possibilities:

1) You have enabled dynamic DNS
2) You have dynamic clients registering themselves
3) Or a DHCP registering for them

--
Herb Martin

"Baolin Ren" <baolinren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> This DNS is only for internally and will forward request to ISP for
> external IP resolution. Our internal IP is 192.168.254.XXX. However, I
> saw one strange IP as 192.168.234.235 in our DNS and it shows Host(A)
> and (same as parent folder). I have tried to delete this IP several
> times. However, it will come back in an hour after the deletion. Could
> someone help me out that where the IP came from and how I can delete
> it permanently?
>
> Thanks a lot

In news:d3a61551.0411231048.583b5530@posting.google.com,
Baolin Ren <baolinren@hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
>
> This DNS is only for internally and will forward request
> to ISP for external IP resolution. Our internal IP is
> 192.168.254.XXX. However, I saw one strange IP as
> 192.168.234.235 in our DNS and it shows Host(A) and (same
> as parent folder). I have tried to delete this IP several
> times. However, it will come back in an hour after the
> deletion. Could someone help me out that where the IP
> came from and how I can delete it permanently?

(same as parent folder) host records are only created by the Netlogon
service on domain controllers, does your DC by any chance have Remote Access
installed?
IF a DC has RAS installed you have to make registry entries to stop this
behavior.
830063 - Name resolution and connectivity issues occur on Windows 2000
domain controllers that have the Routing and Remote Acce:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830063&Product=win2000

I have seen occasions of XP clients for some reason creating these Netlogon
registrations if that is the case, I have found that for some unexplained
reason these XP clients had Netlogon.dns and Netlogon.dnb files. Deleting
these files stopped the registrations. As long as the XP clients do not
re-create these two files when the netlogon service is restarted the records
should not be re-registered. You can delete the files on your DCs without
harm, the netlogon service will re-create them.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:d3a61551.0411231048.583b5530@posting.google.com,
Baolin Ren <baolinren@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> Hello,
>
> This DNS is only for internally and will forward request to ISP for
> external IP resolution. Our internal IP is 192.168.254.XXX. However, I
> saw one strange IP as 192.168.234.235 in our DNS and it shows Host(A)
> and (same as parent folder). I have tried to delete this IP several
> times. However, it will come back in an hour after the deletion. Could
> someone help me out that where the IP came from and how I can delete
> it permanently?
>
> Thanks a lot

In addition to the other responses, it can also be from a machine that has a
static address and possibly with an additional address you added that was
fat-fingered (mistyped).

With the limited info you provided, and I'm just guessing here, as the rest
of us are, is that I'm leaning towards Kevin's explanation about XP.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.