Best brand for a 7950GX2

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Alright, I want to get a 7950GX2, but I can't decide on a specific brand. I'm seeing quite a wide price spectrum across different brands, even though the core clock and memory speeds are the same. So if any of ya'll can tell me which 7950GX2 to buy, I would appreciate it a lot.

(I'll stick with the base 500/600 configurations. No need for the XFX OC'ed ones)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=7950GX2&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
If you don't want a pre-overclocked version, then yes I'd suggest the cheapest one. I'm not sure if anyone is doing one with a proprietary cooling solution? If so then you might want to go for that if it's quieter/better to OC etc.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Alright, thanks for the help. There was quite a big difference in price, around 100 bucks or so from the cheaper to expensive ones, but I guess cheaper wins in this case.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Dude well this is my opinion, if you are going to get the 7950 GX2 which is around $600, why dont you get the best one? spending $600 on a videocard means that you are getting a high end product but for a few more bucks you can get the top of the line (not considering too much differences on the price)

Now if there is too much difference between a not overclocked and a overclocked 7950 GX2 (like $80 or $100) Then in that case I recommend not overclocked cards.

Gormeroth

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
heh, i bought my 7950gx2 last week. i got evga cuz first it was cheapest at $500

secondly, it's got the step up program. if something better comes out within 90 days, i'll be able to trade the card i purchased for the price i purchased for the better card that comes out.

plus they've got a great warranty. it's win win with evga.

Nej_k

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I say go buy an XFX... ive been their customer for 3+ years and i am very satisfied

i wouldnt buy a EVGA just because if you go to their forum you will see that many of their customers have problems with their cards

XFX is like Alienware

where EVGA is like Gateway

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
If XFX is Alienware than my BFG is Falcon Northwest. hehe.

IRT topic

If you are going to get a big fat card like the 7950gx2 you might as well spend the extra little bit of cash for the bigger ones. It's like buying a Mustang... but only getting a v6.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I say go buy an XFX... ive been their customer for 3+ years and i am very satisfied

i wouldnt buy a EVGA just because if you go to their forum you will see that many of their customers have problems with their cards

XFX is like Alienware

where EVGA is like Gateway

if XFX is alienware then im gonna chuck my 7800GTX XFX into the bin.... (alienware = Dell)

microgiant

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I would choose EVGA, they have the best warranty in the biz. You can use aftermarket cooling without voiding the lifetime warranty and if you fry it due to overclocking your still covered. Hard to find a better warranty than that.

Oh and the reason EVGA has so many unhappy customers on their boards is they dont cencor them as much as XFX does. ALL the manufacturers had problems with their GF7900GTs and during that time i heard XFX actually shut down their boards completely. Glad I went with evga!

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
If you are going to get a big fat card like the 7950gx2 you might as well spend the extra little bit of cash for the bigger ones. It's like buying a Mustang... but only getting a v6.

Seeing as the majority of vendor cards differ ONLY in warranty and free software (i.e. very few bother to make their own cooling systems or redo the PCB layout), the analogy is rather meaningless.

Just go for the cheapest from a decent brand (definitely nothing without a brand) such as XFX, BFG, EVGA etc.

Synergy6

Slickbean

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I would have to agree with Alienware = Dell.
In my opinion if you dont have channel you have shit. ( Of corse i do run a computer shop to, if you want the best of the best come find me.)
Anyways as far as brands go EVGA has always been treating me good.
BFG is more expensive but they do some great overclocking.
XFX is getting better.... they used to suck so bad but they do almost as good as bfg, however i still like bfg and evga over xfx.
So price to performance i would get evga and overclock it myself if i want it overclocked. EVGA warrenties rock.
If you dont know how to overclock a card and you want that little extra benchmark boast. go with BFG!

Thanks for your time!

Ben Bradshaw-
Click Computers
www.clickcomp.com (Cobweb at the moment)

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
i try to compare the prices and warranty first, if they are the same price and one has better warranty i go for that.sometimes the software is better with one too,you can get an older outdated game or a newer release.look at the overall bundle + price and warranty and see which one looks better to you then buy it

i_guy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
BFG is that bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. I've been having a problem with my 7800 GTX recently (hardly a ringing endorsement, but hear me out) and the BFG people have been very helpful. They've arranged an RMA etc after just 2 emails and no quibbling about overclocking. Still have to hear what they say about the card though :)

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
XFX, BFG, eVGA are the most trusted brands. There is basically no difference, so go for the cheapest one.

What he said. But try looking at the x1950xt, it's a VERY capable card and in some benchmarks it even ousts the mighty 7950gx2.