Sign in with
Your question

Installed windows 7 lost my internet connection

Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2009 9:12:11 PM

I upgraded from XP to win 7. (big mistake)
After it activated and updated, I prepared to REINSTALL ALL of my applications.
I lost my internet connection. I cannot register any more MS software....
My computer says everything (hardware) is working normal.
It tells me that the modem and ethernet have the wrong IP address.
Using a dos prompt, I did IPCONFIG, both release and renew. NOTHING works.
I even installed a new driver for the ethernet card, SAME PROBLEM...
Frustrating, why would any one want to upgrade to MORE problems?

Chris
November 12, 2009 10:11:00 PM

You did not make a big mistake upgrading to 7,you might have installed it over your old windows xp,so obviously you'll need to change all the drivers,i would recommend you to start a clean installation of windows 7.You have the wrong ip address because you dont have properly installed the network card.make sure you make a clean installation and download the latest drivers. everything should work properly
m
l
November 12, 2009 11:58:27 PM

As I installed it, it asked if I wanted to install the latest dirvers, and I clicked Yes/OK.
It is while I am reinstalling all of the applications, that I lost internet.
Although, I am somewhat encouraged this evening, I went to shut down and my computer had new updates to install as it shut down.
YET I cannot connect to the internet in the normal way.
This is frustrating, that MS7 can connect to the inet, but Internet Explorer CANNOT...
I am using another computer through my router and cable modem to reply to this, so it cannot be those items that have the problem.
It seems to be IN 7.
I also kept an older HDD with XP on it from the computer that now has 7 on it.
I unplugged the HDD with 7 on it and reconnected the HDD with XP and it worked, so it cannot be the ethernet card inside my computer, it HAS TO BE the settings within 7, but which ones and where do I find/access them?
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2009 3:27:22 AM

It may be an auto-update that microsoft thought your machine needed, when it really didn't. You can't always apply every driver that is offered. To see if it is a driver issue with your network card, go to Start - Control Panel - Device Manager. Inside Device Manager, expand Network Adapters. Does your network card, or anything, show up with an error or warning icon? If so, right click on it and choose Properties. Then go to the Drivers tab and choose Rollback Driver. You should be able to access the internet again.

If this fixes the problem - to prevent this from happening again go to start and type Windows Update and hit enter to bring up the Windows Update interface. (You can also get there by going to Control Panel - System, from the System window click on Windows Update under 'See Also' in the lower left corner.) Once in Windows Update click on Change Settings and turn-off auto-updates. Leave it set to notify you when updates are available but you will want to choose what updates to install.
m
l
November 14, 2009 12:31:07 AM

:non:  i guess you're connecting to the internet using the ethernet cable.what's the status of the network and sharing center?(start-control panel-network and internet-network and sharing center)on the left hand side click on change adapter settings.right click on your connection and check it's status.You can also click on diagnose,and it'll tell you what the problem is.also selecting properties you would check for the internet protocol versions 6 and 4 and configure an ip address if yo need to.if not make sure they're on automatic.you could post an image of the status,for more help.
i hope it will be of help for you.
also check in device manager the status of the network adapter.
m
l
November 14, 2009 1:01:01 AM

Damian86,
You can't install Win7 over XP, so all of your "information" is suspect! Learn to TYPE!!

CEHS,
What IP address are you getting? Asking questions without providing information makes it tough to answer them...
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 14, 2009 6:11:50 AM

ekoostik said:
It may be an auto-update that microsoft thought your machine needed, when it really didn't. You can't always apply every driver that is offered. To see if it is a driver issue with your network card, go to Start - Control Panel - Device Manager. Inside Device Manager, expand Network Adapters. Does your network card, or anything, show up with an error or warning icon? If so, right click on it and choose Properties. Then go to the Drivers tab and choose Rollback Driver. You should be able to access the internet again.

+1. I saw this problem under Vista a number of times. I never download network drivers via Windows Update for this exact reason. Let us know if the driver rollback works or not.
m
l
November 14, 2009 2:46:58 PM

marcellis22 said:
Damian86,
You can't install Win7 over XP, so all of your "information" is suspect! Learn to TYPE!!

CEHS,
What IP address are you getting? Asking questions without providing information makes it tough to answer them...

I wasn't talking to you, so first try to understand what he's saying and then talk. :pfff: 

m
l
November 14, 2009 2:52:26 PM

The_Prophecy said:
+1. I saw this problem under Vista a number of times. I never download network drivers via Windows Update for this exact reason. Let us know if the driver rollback works or not.

I had problems with network drivers updates from win update too,you might be right.
m
l
November 14, 2009 5:48:36 PM

A friend and I went through ALL of what has been suggested so far, and nothing works.
We compared settings with another computer, while they were both on the same router.
Still nothing.
I erased my HDD, did a clean install and I now have my computer back.
I am reloading my software (this step is a pain, I should NOT have to reload my software...)
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chris
m
l
November 14, 2009 10:24:08 PM

It's a very common issue with Win7 at the moment, particulary if your network card is made by Broadcom, Marvell or 3com. Many people also getting IP on boot up, but after warm reset it loses connectivity. All of the above companies have now issued Windows 7 drivers for their NICs, it sorted out the problem on my Marvell instantly. Little tip however, Win7 update will try to download the manufacturers updated drivers for you, in the case of Broadcom drivers they don't work as well and you are better off going to the broadcom website instead....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 14, 2009 11:09:58 PM

i think the best thing would be a system restore. that is if you ever had the NIC ever working in windows 7 before updating the drivers. it is issues like these that it is always good to install a clean version of windows
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 14, 2009 11:18:42 PM

IMO, System Restore potentially creates far too many other problems to risk using it for driver reversion. Roll the driver back from the device manager instead of System Restore and be done with it.
m
l
November 25, 2009 12:52:54 AM

As I stated earlier, I resolved the problem with a complete reformat of the HDD then a new CLEAN install.
NOBODY could find the problem. ALL suggestions were checked out, none of them solved the problem.
It took a CLEAN install to resolve this...
Problem solved.

Thanks
Chris
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 25, 2009 1:49:05 AM

cehs said:
As I stated earlier, I resolved the problem with a complete reformat of the HDD then a new CLEAN install.
NOBODY could find the problem. ALL suggestions were checked out, none of them solved the problem.
It took a CLEAN install to resolve this...
Problem solved.

Thanks
Chris

Thus the reason we recommend clean installs as opposed to in-place upgrades or migration installs. Good to hear the problem got fixed though.
m
l
!