Pocket Plus - large icons?

January 1, 2005 8:06:38 PM

I'm rebuilding my PPC after a hard reset and ROM upgrade. One
essential program I quickly re-installed is Pocket Plus, version 2.1.
But when I came to add various launch shortcuts I was surprised to
find that those in the 'Indicators' category all come up with LARGE
icons. Wastes far too much space. But there's no 'Large icon' context
menu option for them, so I cannot toggle them small again. Had to
remove them.

I definitely used to have the Battery indicator (for example)
displayed as a small icon, so I'm baffled by this. I've emailed SPB
also, but meanwhile does anyone here have any ideas please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

More about : pocket large icons

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 8:06:39 PM

Terry,

On the icons that are large, tap-and-hold them and you will get a dialog box
with one of the options being to make the icon small. Remember though on
the Battery/Storage Card indicators that some of those are large based on
the theme you are using.

Hope this helps,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I'm rebuilding my PPC after a hard reset and ROM upgrade. One
> essential program I quickly re-installed is Pocket Plus, version 2.1.
> But when I came to add various launch shortcuts I was surprised to
> find that those in the 'Indicators' category all come up with LARGE
> icons. Wastes far too much space. But there's no 'Large icon' context
> menu option for them, so I cannot toggle them small again. Had to
> remove them.
>
> I definitely used to have the Battery indicator (for example)
> displayed as a small icon, so I'm baffled by this. I've emailed SPB
> also, but meanwhile does anyone here have any ideas please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
> Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.
January 1, 2005 8:06:39 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:06:38 +0000, Terry Pinnell
<terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> removed the duct tape and
proclaimed:

>I'm rebuilding my PPC after a hard reset and ROM upgrade. One
>essential program I quickly re-installed is Pocket Plus, version 2.1.
>But when I came to add various launch shortcuts I was surprised to
>find that those in the 'Indicators' category all come up with LARGE
>icons. Wastes far too much space. But there's no 'Large icon' context
>menu option for them, so I cannot toggle them small again. Had to
>remove them.
>
>I definitely used to have the Battery indicator (for example)
>displayed as a small icon, so I'm baffled by this. I've emailed SPB
>also, but meanwhile does anyone here have any ideas please?

Try a different Today theme. There check the Appearence options in
Pocket Plus for Today Plug-in.

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
January 1, 2005 8:06:40 PM

Along with that, when you find the Indicators that you want, there is an
option to lock those indicators and still vary the rest of the theme
components. It's on the appearance tab, and says Always use current
indicators from theme ".......". So uncheck that (follow original) and get
to the indicators you like, set the always use button, and then go back to
finding the overall theme you like.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Bruno" <insert@address.here> wrote in message
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:06:38 +0000, Terry Pinnell
> <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> removed the duct tape and
> proclaimed:
>
> >I'm rebuilding my PPC after a hard reset and ROM upgrade. One
> >essential program I quickly re-installed is Pocket Plus, version 2.1.
> >But when I came to add various launch shortcuts I was surprised to
> >find that those in the 'Indicators' category all come up with LARGE
> >icons. Wastes far too much space. But there's no 'Large icon' context
> >menu option for them, so I cannot toggle them small again. Had to
> >remove them.
> >
> >I definitely used to have the Battery indicator (for example)
> >displayed as a small icon, so I'm baffled by this. I've emailed SPB
> >also, but meanwhile does anyone here have any ideas please?
>
> Try a different Today theme. There check the Appearence options in
> Pocket Plus for Today Plug-in.
>

> --
> I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:18:56 PM

Terry,

I too didn't like the look of the large icons in Pocket Plus, so this is
what I did.

I tapped the Pocket Plus configure icon on the left side of the screen and
tapped on feature options within pocket plus. I then clicked on every "TAB
line and removed the names because I didn't want the names to appear and
create the square dialogue boxes. I then went into every "Item list and
unchecked everything until I returned back to the Today screen and only the
Pocket Plus symbol appeared. Next I went back to Pocket Plus configure
icon> Featured Options > and tapped on the first "Item" button. From the
category list I selected "PROGRAMS" and placed a checkmark next to every
program I wanted to show in my Today screen launcher. When I returned to the
Today screen, it looked like my old and faithful pocket plus but on my new
hx2750 instead.

I hope this helps,

Peace

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I'm rebuilding my PPC after a hard reset and ROM upgrade. One
> essential program I quickly re-installed is Pocket Plus, version 2.1.
> But when I came to add various launch shortcuts I was surprised to
> find that those in the 'Indicators' category all come up with LARGE
> icons. Wastes far too much space. But there's no 'Large icon' context
> menu option for them, so I cannot toggle them small again. Had to
> remove them.
>
> I definitely used to have the Battery indicator (for example)
> displayed as a small icon, so I'm baffled by this. I've emailed SPB
> also, but meanwhile does anyone here have any ideas please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
> Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:31:05 PM

"Handheld_user2" <handheld_user2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Terry,
>
>I too didn't like the look of the large icons in Pocket Plus, so this is
>what I did.
>
>I tapped the Pocket Plus configure icon on the left side of the screen and
>tapped on feature options within pocket plus. I then clicked on every "TAB
>line and removed the names because I didn't want the names to appear and
>create the square dialogue boxes. I then went into every "Item list and
>unchecked everything until I returned back to the Today screen and only the
>Pocket Plus symbol appeared. Next I went back to Pocket Plus configure
>icon> Featured Options > and tapped on the first "Item" button. From the
>category list I selected "PROGRAMS" and placed a checkmark next to every
>program I wanted to show in my Today screen launcher. When I returned to the
>Today screen, it looked like my old and faithful pocket plus but on my new
>hx2750 instead.
>
>I hope this helps,
>
>Peace

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure I can visualise the end result, but I'll
experiment along those lines, as I'm curious to see exactly what you
mean. But I personally think the tabs are useful, as a way of reducing
the number of icons (and lines) needed. With all my selected programs
(and indicators, and documents), it's too cluttered and space hungry.

Digressing, I'm still not 100% sold on icons for launching. For some
programs (Word, Excel, etc) it's neat, as the icons are instantly
recognisable. But for the majority I have to stop and think. (And that
would be worse if I had no tabs to subset them.) Sometimes I pine for
a conventional 'text tree' approach, like Windows' familiar Start
menu. And there are even merits of just using the PPC Programs window,
perhaps with subfolders for Accessories, Games, Graphics, etc; at
least that displays large icons *plus* labels.

I did try a program for this a tear or so ago, SmallMenu I think, so
maybe I'll revisit it. Trouble is, I like so many of the other
features of PocketPlus!

BTW, I've just posted separately about no longer getting a battery
indicator in the taskbar...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

In message <et24Phb8EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Handheld_user2"
<handheld_user2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Terry,
>
> I too didn't like the look of the large icons in Pocket Plus, so this is
> what I did.
>
> I tapped the Pocket Plus configure icon on the left side of the screen and
> tapped on feature options within pocket plus. I then clicked on every
"TAB
> line and removed the names because I didn't want the names to appear and
> create the square dialogue boxes. I then went into every "Item list and
> unchecked everything until I returned back to the Today screen and only
the
> Pocket Plus symbol appeared. Next I went back to Pocket Plus configure
> icon> Featured Options > and tapped on the first "Item" button. From the
> category list I selected "PROGRAMS" and placed a checkmark next to every
> program I wanted to show in my Today screen launcher. When I returned to
the
> Today screen, it looked like my old and faithful pocket plus but on my new
> hx2750 instead.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Peace
>

> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > I'm rebuilding my PPC after a hard reset and ROM upgrade. One
> > essential program I quickly re-installed is Pocket Plus, version 2.1.
> > But when I came to add various launch shortcuts I was surprised to
> > find that those in the 'Indicators' category all come up with LARGE
> > icons. Wastes far too much space. But there's no 'Large icon' context
> > menu option for them, so I cannot toggle them small again. Had to
> > remove them.
> >
> > I definitely used to have the Battery indicator (for example)
> > displayed as a small icon, so I'm baffled by this. I've emailed SPB
> > also, but meanwhile does anyone here have any ideas please?
> >
> > --
> > Terry, West Sussex, UK
> > Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

On the today screen, tap and hold the offending icons then uncheck "large
icon" from the drop down.
Hth

Dean
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:59:39 AM

"Dean" <dean@nospam4me.usa> wrote:

>On the today screen, tap and hold the offending icons then uncheck "large
>icon" from the drop down.
>Hth

As I mentioned in original post: "But there's no 'Large icon' context

!