Should I upgrade my card?

Johnny_Kittenstomp

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I do most of my gaming late at night, so the 7.1 speaker set-up isn't an option right now. It will be one day down the road, but not right now. So, I have a set of Turtle Beach TBS-2110 surround sound headphones. These serve my purpose pretty well, but they still aren't the same as having speakers positioned all around me.

I'm thinking of upgrading my soundcard from an Audigy 4 to one of the X-Fi cards. After reading the article here about how much they improve headphone gaming, I thought it would be a good investment. However, the article doesn't state what kind of headphones were used in the testing. I can only assume they were standard stereo headphones and not surround sound.

So, my question is: Will upgrading from my Audigy 4 to the X-Fi card produce a dramatic increase in audio quality in my TBS-2110 headphones like the article claims? Or would it just be a waste of money?

Would it be a smarter investment to just purchase a nice set of 7.1's and use them sparingly (or at very low volume so as not to wake my wife and son)? Also, is it possible to "add on" to my existing speaker system? I currently have a 2.1 Altec Lansing speaker setup. Can I buy two satellite speakers to create a 5.1? Or do I have to buy 5.1 setup as a whole?

halcyon

Splendid
So, my question is: Will upgrading from my Audigy 4 to the X-Fi card produce a dramatic increase in audio quality in my TBS-2110 headphones like the article claims? Or would it just be a waste of money?

If I'm correct, you have 5.1 headphones now. I don't think you could possibly reap any worthy benefits by simply replacing your already-good Audigy 4 with an X-Fi just to turn on CMSS3D. The X-Fi, IMO, is more an upgrade for people that have pre-Audigy 2 cards or onboard sound.

I think you'll be dissapointed if you spend >$70 on an X-Fi just to discover that there's not >$70 worth of enhanced experience.

Seperate question on your Audigy 4? Does the Creative Media App that I believe comes with it provide a DVD-Player that you're able to use the included remote with?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I agree 100% with Halcyon, And honestly, " 5.1 " headphones are a joke anyhow. I dont think your going to get much better than what you have now.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm not in the market for them, but why do you say 5.1 headphones are no good? The idea is kinda intriguing for personal HT. Do they all sound that bad or is multi-channel surround just not convincing in a multi-drivered headphone?

Johnny_Kittenstomp

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
And honestly, " 5.1 " headphones are a joke anyhow.
I couldn't disagree more. They serve my purposes quite well. No, they aren't as good as a real 5.1 speaker system (as I stated in my first post), but they do very well in creating a 3D space environment in my headphones, and the bass reponse in the TBS-2110's is some of the best I've heard in a headset with a mic.

What about adding 2 satellites to my existing Altec Lansing...is that do-able? I assume that it's not, but I thought I would ask before I go shopping for a full 5.1 set-up.

I can't answer your question right now, Halcyon...I'm not at my computer. But I THINK the answer to your question is, "yes." However, I'll have to verify that later.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The set, I forget witch, sounded quite bad and it was very difficult to indicate where the actual sound was comeingfrom. Wether left or rear left, I could not tell the difference.

Being more drivers in the small space may give a sence of better sound, when it is just louder. I had a set of Klipsch Promedia Ultras that had a headphone jack that downmixed the 5.1 into stereo. It sounded quite good and gave an effect I liked a whole lot more, and one I would not call fake. Sounds would seem to come from behind me and to the left. If I where to turn my head left toward the sound, it would get louder as it came closer to the left front. I always had a very good image of what was going on around me even though I only had stereo headphones.

Edit: Multi Position audio is not meant to be projected so close to the ear IMHO.

halcyon

Splendid
And honestly, " 5.1 " headphones are a joke anyhow.

What about adding 2 satellites to my existing Altec Lansing...is that do-able? I assume that it's not, but I thought I would ask before I go shopping for a full 5.1 set-up.

I'd think, off-hand, that'd be quite doable, just by getting some Altec Lansing 2.0 (or 2.1's?) (or any other brand 2.0's ) and plugging them into surround rears of your card's input. This is really 4.1 (your card's documentation would describe which input jack to connect the extra stereo pair), and the speakers, of course, are not matched, but I'd think it'd be doable. I don't purport to be an expert so shooting me, if i'm in error, is not needed.

Johnny_Kittenstomp

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I'd think, off-hand, that'd be quite doable, just by getting some Altec Lansing 2.0 (or 2.1's?) (or any other brand 2.0's ) and plugging them into surround rears of your card's input. This is really 4.1 (your card's documentation would describe which input jack to connect the extra stereo pair), and the speakers, of course, are not matched, but I'd think it'd be doable. I don't purport to be an expert so shooting me, if i'm in error, is not needed.
To the best of my knowledge, all analog 5.1 speaker setups go through the subwoofer.

There are only three analog outputs on the card itself: Front, Rear, and Sub. These three plug into the subwoofer, where the signal is split to each of the 5 satellite speakers (2 front, center, and 2 rear) including the sub. If I just plugged another set of speakers into the rear output, this wouldn't separate the signal "correctly" from the front speakers and sub...would it? Or is the fact that all of the speakers on a standard 5.1 analog system connect to the sub simply for power reasons?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If I did just attached a pair of 2.0's to the rear output, and supplied them with power, would this work to create a 4.1 setup? Or am I really just making this more difficult than it needs to be?

And my sub doesn't have any outputs for additional speakers outside of the right and left front speakers (Altec Lansing VS4121).

Also, you reminded me that I don't have a center channel either. I was so focused on the rear satellite speakers, that I glossed over that little detail.

I guess I really just answered my own question. Thanks for trying though!

I will not shoot you.

halcyon

Splendid
The Soundblasters (Audigy, X-Fi, etc.) do support 4.1 sound, you'll see that in their control panels, as for which jacks to use for the rears I believe that'll be marked on the card or in the user guide, but you're right, you'd not have a Center channel, HOWEVER, with EAX you might still get enjoyable sound from this setup for music, gaming, and movies.

When I was trying the Bose CP3's I seriously considered adding a pair of CP2's to do just what I'm suggesting, and I'm pretty sure it would have worked (but it would have a been a thorough waste of money with the Bose equipment).

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The Soundblasters (Audigy, X-Fi, etc.) do support 4.1 sound, you'll see that in their control panels, as for which jacks to use for the rears I believe that'll be marked on the card or in the user guide, but you're right, you'd not have a Center channel, HOWEVER, with EAX you might still get enjoyable sound from this setup for music, gaming, and movies.

When I was trying the Bose CP3's I seriously considered adding a pair of CP2's to do just what I'm suggesting, and I'm pretty sure it would have worked (but it would have a been a thorough waste of money with the Bose equipment).

Indeed :tongue: