GC not registered

ad

Hi

I have added additional (3rd) DC in a single domain forest. Promoted server
(windows 2000+SP4) has also exchange 5.5+SP4.

After sucessfull dcpromo I have also checked (in AD sites&services) that new
DC will be GC. I expected new GC server will add records for GC but it
didn't.

After more than an hour I have and reloaded DNS data, restared DNS services
and restared server.
I have checked KB 304403. In event log I have no entries which indicating
anything is wrong with DNS.

I supose I should add this new record manually or is there any other way ?
And second, if I intend to have Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 DC, what
should I do first:
Promote server to DC and GC or should I install exchange 2003 first ?

TIA

Dino

"ad" <ad@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have added additional (3rd) DC in a single domain forest. Promoted
server
> (windows 2000+SP4) has also exchange 5.5+SP4.
>
> After sucessfull dcpromo I have also checked (in AD sites&services) that
new
> DC will be GC. I expected new GC server will add records for GC but it
> didn't.
>
> After more than an hour I have and reloaded DNS data, restared DNS
services
> and restared server.
> I have checked KB 304403. In event log I have no entries which
indicating
> anything is wrong with DNS.

What does DCDiag say (when run on this DC)? Send the
output to a text file and search for WARN, FAIL, ERROR.

Likely it is the DNS CLIENT setting ON the new DC.
(NIC->IP properties) -- this must be SOLELY the internal
DNS server settings.

AD DNS checks:
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC.

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

> I supose I should add this new record manually or is there any other way ?

You are right that you really ought to fix the underlying problem
and let it be added automatically.

> And second, if I intend to have Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 DC, what
> should I do first:
> Promote server to DC and GC or should I install exchange 2003 first ?

It may not matter, but if those are you only choices then
I would do it in the above order.

--
Herb Martin

> TIA
>
> Dino

In news:OkTPI5W1EHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
ad <ad@newsgroup.nospam> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi
>
> I have added additional (3rd) DC in a single domain
> forest. Promoted server (windows 2000+SP4) has also
> exchange 5.5+SP4.
>
> After sucessfull dcpromo I have also checked (in AD
> sites&services) that new DC will be GC. I expected new GC
> server will add records for GC but it didn't.
>
> After more than an hour I have and reloaded DNS data,
> restared DNS services and restared server.
> I have checked KB 304403. In event log I have no
> entries which indicating anything is wrong with DNS.
>
> I supose I should add this new record manually or is
> there any other way ? And second, if I intend to have
> Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 DC, what should I do first:
> Promote server to DC and GC or should I install exchange
> 2003 first ?

In AD Sites and Services, drill down to the Properties on NTDS Settings of
the server, is the box checked for Global Catalog?
If it is check the Netlogon.dns file in %systemroot%\system32\config to see
if there is a gc._msdcs.forestroot. 600 IN A <privateipaddress> line. Then
in the DNS management console open the gc._msdcs.forestroot. subdomain to
see if there is a (same as parent folder) host record with that IP address.
BTW, Win2k3 puts _msdcs.forestroot in its own forward lookup zone, so you'll
need top look in that zone for the gc subdomain.
It is suggested that when upgrading from Win2k to Win2k3 that you create
this zone and put a _msdcs delegation in the Forest Root zone.
817470 - HOW TO Reconfigure an _msdcs Subdomain to a Forest-wide DNS
Application Directory Partition When You Upgrade from Win:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817470&Product=winsvr2003

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

ad

Thanks both for the answer.

I wait over night and surprise - gc entries were in DNS.

Dino