My own Site unavailable to the clients

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

I have the site hosted with Yahoo and not on the PDC itself. The URL
of my site is www.lipl.com. I have a Windows 2000 server with Windows
XP SP2 clients. While configuring active directory I the gave my
domain name i.e. www.lipl.com in Windows 2000.
Now a very peculair thing is happening. I can open all other sites in
the internet from the clients expect my very own site! Whenever I
perform a trace route from the clients I receive an immediate error
"Unable to resolve target system name www.lipl.com". If I perform a
ping again from the clients it says instantly "Ping request could not
find host www.lipl.com. Please check the name and try again." What is
wrong with my clients that is preventing them from opening my very own
site while it allows all the others ?
It is to be noted that the site is accessable from the server itself
and the trace and ping are successful too. Is something needs to be
configured in Administrative Tools > DNS settings ? Please help.

-Dev

In news:9a0bd4cc.0411282233.54bd3cfe@posting.google.com,
Dev <debtanu@hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have the site hosted with Yahoo and not on the PDC
> itself. The URL of my site is www.lipl.com. I have a
> Windows 2000 server with Windows XP SP2 clients. While
> configuring active directory I the gave my domain name
> i.e. www.lipl.com in Windows 2000.
> Now a very peculair thing is happening. I can open all
> other sites in the internet from the clients expect my
> very own site! Whenever I perform a trace route from the
> clients I receive an immediate error "Unable to resolve
> target system name www.lipl.com". If I perform a ping
> again from the clients it says instantly "Ping request
> could not find host www.lipl.com. Please check the name
> and try again." What is wrong with my clients that is
> preventing them from opening my very own site while it
> allows all the others ?
> It is to be noted that the site is accessable from the
> server itself and the trace and ping are successful too.
> Is something needs to be configured in Administrative
> Tools > DNS settings ? Please help.

You actually named your AD domain name www.lipl.com? With the www?
If this is true, then you will never be able to access the public site by
this name. The Active Directory domain name _must_ resolve to the IP address
on Domain Controllers that have file shring enabled.
If the site is accessable from the server then you must also be using the
wrong DNS server in TCP/IP properties, you should never use an external DNS
in TCP/IP properties on any member or DC in an AD domain.

Had you named your domain lipl.com you could have added a host named www
with the IP of the website, there isn't a workaround for the predicament
you've created for yourself other than renaming the domain, which is not
possible in Win2k without complete removal of Active Directory and
repromoting with a new name. If it is in mixed mode, you could add a NT4 BDC
then promote it to PDC and upgrade it to Win2k to preserve your domain
accounts.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Dev wrote:
> I have the site hosted with Yahoo and not on the PDC itself. The URL
> of my site is www.lipl.com. I have a Windows 2000 server with Windows
> XP SP2 clients. While configuring active directory I the gave my
> domain name i.e. www.lipl.com in Windows 2000.
> Now a very peculair thing is happening. I can open all other sites in
> the internet from the clients expect my very own site! Whenever I
> perform a trace route from the clients I receive an immediate error
> "Unable to resolve target system name www.lipl.com". If I perform a
> ping again from the clients it says instantly "Ping request could not
> find host www.lipl.com. Please check the name and try again." What is
> wrong with my clients that is preventing them from opening my very own
> site while it allows all the others ?
> It is to be noted that the site is accessable from the server itself
> and the trace and ping are successful too. Is something needs to be
> configured in Administrative Tools > DNS settings ? Please help.
>
> -Dev

I'm presuming your AD DNS name is actually lipl.com, not www.lipl.com - if
that's not true, please correct me.

If that is true, since your AD domain name matches your Internet domain
name, this is normal - it thinks its authoritative for yourdomain.com and
won't try to look outside. Just create a host called www in your forward
lookup zone in your DNS server and point it at the correct public IP
address.

In article <9a0bd4cc.0411282233.54bd3cfe@posting.google.com>,
debtanu@hotmail.com says...
> I have the site hosted with Yahoo and not on the PDC itself. The URL
> of my site is www.lipl.com. I have a Windows 2000 server with Windows
> XP SP2 clients. While configuring active directory I the gave my
> domain name i.e. www.lipl.com in Windows 2000.
> Now a very peculair thing is happening. I can open all other sites in
> the internet from the clients expect my very own site! Whenever I
> perform a trace route from the clients I receive an immediate error
> "Unable to resolve target system name www.lipl.com". If I perform a
> ping again from the clients it says instantly "Ping request could not
> find host www.lipl.com. Please check the name and try again." What is
> wrong with my clients that is preventing them from opening my very own
> site while it allows all the others ?
> It is to be noted that the site is accessable from the server itself
> and the trace and ping are successful too. Is something needs to be
> configured in Administrative Tools > DNS settings ? Please help.

Bad move creating a internal domain with a .COM or .NET, you should
rebuild it and change your domain. I use .LAN on all domains inside a
company.

A way around your, open your DNS admin tool, create a www A record,
point it at your public site - now, when you enter www.mysite.com it
will go to that public address.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
cite="mid9a0bd4cc.0411282233.54bd3cfe@posting.google.com">
name i.e. <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.lipl.com">www.lipl.com</a> in Windows 2000. [...] I can open all other
sites in<br>
the internet from the clients expect my very own site! </p>
<a
href="http://homepages.tesco.net./%7EJ.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-split-horizon-common-server-names.html">For
the usual reason.</a><br>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

Created a www A record, pointed it at my public site & it solved all
problems ! Cool. Thanks to all of you.

- Dev