Replication problems

Hello,

We are having replication problems on our newly installed DC.
When we run NETDIAG /TEST:DNS /V the following error is displayed:
(I've replaced original DNS name and removed IP addressen for security
reasons)

------------- NETDIAG OUTPUT
Query for DC DNS entry
_ldap._tcp.24d2f1e9-9ba0-41de-983c-bd24bf0dd4f0.domains._msdcs.COMPANY.COM.
on DNS server 172.x.x.x failed.
DNS Error code: DNS_ERROR_RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE
The Record is different on DNS server '172.x.x.x'.
DNS server has more than one entries for this name, usually this means there
are multiple DCs for this domain.
Your DC entry is one of them on DNS server '172.x.x.x', no need to
re-register.
------------- END OF NETDIAG OUTPUT

We also tried NETDIAG /FIX and another DCPROMO and DNS install on the same
server, but that didn't resolve out problem.

Kind regards,

Demis van Putten

In news:980023C9-5F3C-4677-8777-A2EE84D2B2E6@microsoft.com,
Demis van Putten <Demis van Putten@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
>
> We are having replication problems on our newly installed
> DC.
> When we run NETDIAG /TEST:DNS /V the following error is
> displayed: (I've replaced original DNS name and removed
> IP addressen for security reasons)
>
> ------------- NETDIAG OUTPUT
> Query for DC DNS entry

_ldap._tcp.24d2f1e9-9ba0-41de-983c-bd24bf0dd4f0.domains._msdcs.COMPANY.COM.
> on DNS server 172.x.x.x failed.
> DNS Error code: DNS_ERROR_RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE
> The Record is different on DNS server '172.x.x.x'.
> DNS server has more than one entries for this name,
> usually this means there are multiple DCs for this domain.
> Your DC entry is one of them on DNS server '172.x.x.x',
> no need to re-register.
> ------------- END OF NETDIAG OUTPUT
>
> We also tried NETDIAG /FIX and another DCPROMO and DNS
> install on the same server, but that didn't resolve out
> problem.

The complete netdiag output plus the ipconfig /all from the DCs would have
given us something more to work on. It is difficult to diagnose this with
just the small snippit you've posted.

That said, this could be the DNS island issue. You have two DCs with DNS
installed on both?
Point both DCs to the first DC you created for preferred DNS, then restart
the netlogon service and run ipconfig /registerdns.
DNS Server Becomes an Island When a Domain Controller Points to Itself for
the _Msdcs.ForestDnsName Domain:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275278

IF this doesn't clear this up post ipconfig /all from both DCs, the AD
domain name from ADUC, and list of forward lookup zones in DNS.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]