Second IP does not register in dns

Hi all,
I've 4 server with windows 2000, all of them are domain controllers,
and two of them have the dns server with active directory.

Some days ago we had to set double IP on every server because the
mobile phone provider we use for vpn connections uses 10.0.0.0
subnets, the same of our internal network. Now the servers have a
10.0.132.x and a 192.168.0.x address, the first one for internal use
and the second one for the vpn clients, and vpn is up and running
using ip addresses but when I use the dns it shows me the 10.0.132.x

I've seen that the second IP do not appear in the dns, and if we
manually create the A record, vpn works great, but the new record
disappears after a few moments.
I've seen many articles about how to avoid to register an ip address
in dns, but how can I force the second IP to register and remain
registered in dns?

Thanks, Luca.

In news:16poq0th4uist3eqbt72nra67iv04o5ak4@4ax.com,
Luca Dell'Oca <dellock@food4brain.info> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi all,
> I've 4 server with windows 2000, all of them are domain
> controllers, and two of them have the dns server with
> active directory.
>
> Some days ago we had to set double IP on every server
> because the mobile phone provider we use for vpn
> connections uses 10.0.0.0 subnets, the same of our
> internal network. Now the servers have a
> 10.0.132.x and a 192.168.0.x address, the first one for
> internal use and the second one for the vpn clients, and
> vpn is up and running using ip addresses but when I use
> the dns it shows me the 10.0.132.x responses.
>
> I've seen that the second IP do not appear in the dns,
> and if we manually create the A record, vpn works great,
> but the new record disappears after a few moments.
> I've seen many articles about how to avoid to register an
> ip address in dns, but how can I force the second IP to
> register and remain registered in dns?
>
> Thanks, Luca.

On the interfaces tab, set DNS to listen on this address, too.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Vagando per microsoft.public.win2000.dns il Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:02:53
-0600, "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> ha perso
per strada questo messaggio:

>On the interfaces tab, set DNS to listen on this address, too.

No, that's not right, because the server are configured from the
beginning for listening on every ip address, I think also this is the
default behaviour.

The problem is that second IP does not register in dns, I set it
manually but after some time it disappear and only primary IP remains.

Ciao, Luca.

--

Luca Dell'Oca

In news:2lksq0ttic72g8vvk811iveekdsfbub6iv@4ax.com,
Luca Dell'Oca <dellock@food4brain.info> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Vagando per microsoft.public.win2000.dns il Tue, 30 Nov
> 2004 10:02:53 -0600, "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]"
> <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> ha perso per strada questo
> messaggio:
>
>> On the interfaces tab, set DNS to listen on this
>> address, too.
>
> No, that's not right, because the server are configured
> from the beginning for listening on every ip address, I
> think also this is the default behaviour.
>
> The problem is that second IP does not register in dns, I
> set it manually but after some time it disappear and only
> primary IP remains.

It should, but add this registry entry then:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters
On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
value:
Value name: PublishAddresses
Data type: REG_SZ
Value data: Specify the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the internal
interface. If you want to specify more than one IP address, separate the
addresses by using spaces.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Vagando per microsoft.public.win2000.dns il Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:51:40
-0600, "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> ha perso
per strada questo messaggio:

>It should, but add this registry entry then:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters
>On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
>value:
>Value name: PublishAddresses
>Data type: REG_SZ
>Value data: Specify the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the internal
>interface. If you want to specify more than one IP address, separate the
>addresses by using spaces.

Ok, thanks, this worked for the two dns servers, now in the zone
records they appear with both ip addresses, but what about the other
two domain controllers who are not dns servers? They obviously do not
have the dns section in the registry...
Maybe if I install the dns service onto all the DCs and set the
registry key in all of them? But it seems to me that having 4 dns
servers with 4 DCs is excessive....

Ciao, Luca.

--

Luca Dell'Oca

Vagando per microsoft.public.win2000.dns il Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:30:36
+0100, Luca Dell'Oca <dellock@food4brain.info> ha perso per strada
questo messaggio:

>Maybe if I install the dns service onto all the DCs and set the
>registry key in all of them? But it seems to me that having 4 dns
>servers with 4 DCs is excessive....

Auto-follow:
i installed the dns service on the other two DCs, and set the registry
key, now all the 4 DCs appear in the dns zone with both IP addresses!!

Thanks again, Luca.

In news:p5qtq0tg5onnqvgc9cl5ombffkndahidel@4ax.com,
Luca Dell'Oca <dellock@food4brain.info> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Vagando per microsoft.public.win2000.dns il Thu, 02 Dec
> 2004 10:30:36 +0100, Luca Dell'Oca
> <dellock@food4brain.info> ha perso per strada questo
> messaggio:
>
>> Maybe if I install the dns service onto all the DCs and
>> set the registry key in all of them? But it seems to me
>> that having 4 dns servers with 4 DCs is excessive....

Four DNS servers are not excessive, you can have as many as you need.
Usually two at each location is considered sufficient.

> Auto-follow:
> i installed the dns service on the other two DCs, and set
> the registry key, now all the 4 DCs appear in the dns
> zone with both IP addresses!!

This registry entry should only be applied to the Multi-homed DC that has
these addresses. The rest of your DNS servers should register their own
addresses, not the addresses of another DNS server.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps