SBC error?

zak

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

I have an external DNS server on Windows 2000. We keep having only a few
users from sbcglobal.net that keep getting "unnknown host" when trying to
send email to us. For all other sbc users, it works fine.

SBC keeps telling us that it is our problem, but everything looks good.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

In news:OAd2L$w1EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Zak <fj@somewhere.net> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have an external DNS server on Windows 2000. We keep
> having only a few users from sbcglobal.net that keep
> getting "unnknown host" when trying to send email to us.
> For all other sbc users, it works fine.
>
> SBC keeps telling us that it is our problem, but
> everything looks good. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

What is the domain name?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

zak

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

fcusd.k12.ca.us

In news:uYUq7Sx1EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Zak <fj@somewhere.net> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> fcusd.k12.ca.us

The problem may be the underscore in your SMTP server's host name,
underscores are invalid DNS characters. Some DNS servers will not accept
this name.
gw_1.fcusd.k12.ca.us.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

zak

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

Hmmm, if this is the case, why would only some of the sbc users have
problems? Can you direct me to a link about the underscore issue? I'd be
curious to read up on this.

Thanks,

In news:epH5GBz1EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Zak <fj@somewhere.net> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hmmm, if this is the case, why would only some of the sbc
> users have problems? Can you direct me to a link about
> the underscore issue? I'd be curious to read up on this.

Look in the DNS help file. Win2k DNS does support underscores in the names,
but they are not valid unless they are at the beginning of a domain name.
Some older DNS servers do not support underscores at all and cannot even
read them.
If you want universal support of your host name across all DNS servers,
change the underscore to a hyphen (-).

This is taken directly from the DNS help file:
"It is strongly recommended that you use only characters in your names that
are part of the Internet standard character set permitted for use in DNS
host naming. Allowed characters are defined in RFC 1123 as follows: all
uppercase letters (A-Z), lowercase letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), and the
hyphen (-)."