• Intel

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • AMD

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I have two 7800gtx's in my computer with an AMD San Diego 4000+ processor. I am an avid AMD fan no matter what intel throws at AMD. But my question is what socket 939 processor would be best for an SLI computer?

And for those who dont care which manufacturer their processor is from... overall what is the best processor for sli?

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
A dual core wouldnt assist in the massive load that sli requires? I knew my 4000+ is a great processor but I have some extra money and with AMD's prices so low I was thinking about the X2 4800+. Would I get a performance boost in the new graphics demanding games by buying that processor over the one I have now?

sailer

Splendid
Depending on the rest of your computer, you might get anything from no benefit to a noticable benifit. If want a large increase, in performance, you would need to step up to one a FX cpu.

For myself, stepping up from a 4000+ to a 4800+ would make sense, because I use my computer for a lot more than games. I run a lot of business oriented programs. I have a 4400+ now, so such a step to a 4800+ probably wouldn't make much noticeable difference, though I have considered it now that prices have fallen so much.

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Depending on the rest of your computer, you might get anything from no benefit to a noticable benifit. If want a large increase, in performance, you would need to step up to one a FX cpu.

For myself, stepping up from a 4000+ to a 4800+ would make sense, because I use my computer for a lot more than games. I run a lot of business oriented programs. I have a 4400+ now, so such a step to a 4800+ probably wouldn't make much noticeable difference, though I have considered it now that prices have fallen so much.

Thanks thats exactly what I needed. Sounds like the 4800+ isnt for me. Thanks again all.

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Hey brother..( since I have the same proc.)

Your question is what 939 proc. works best with SLI right?
Well the fact that you have SLI means your gaming is important to you.
So in that case the only answer is FX-57,anything better will take you into Intel land and not 939 like you want.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego @2.90 HTT 242
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1009
Corsair TWINX 2048 (2x1048) PC 3200
Zalman CNPS9500 CPU Cooler
BFG OC 7900gtx in SLI
WD 250 HD
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Silverstone 600watt PS

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
I have two 7800gtx's in my computer with an AMD San Diego 4000+ processor. I am an avid AMD fan no matter what intel throws at AMD. But my question is what socket 939 processor would be best for an SLI computer?

And for those who dont care which manufacturer their processor is from... overall what is the best processor for sli?

I'm unsure why you started this thread when you're oviously and AMD fan who already owns a complete system and is only looking for an upgrade.

To answer your question, Core 2 Duo is MUCH better for SLI/Crossfire. Simply because it's a faster processor and SLI/Crossfire rigs need a faster processor to work optimally.

But in your case I would recommend an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ or 4200+. Simply because if you're looking for a processor that can offer great performance at a good price on the 939 platform.. those are the ones. They can overclock easilly to 2.6Ghz thus offering higher/superb performance.