a question about igmp

Hi,
I have a switch which support rip and has igmp query/snooping ability.
I have config. this switch as follows:
vlan1 -- port 1 to 20 vlan ip addr. 192.168.10.254 255.255.255.0
vlan2 -- port 21 to 40 vlan ip addr 192.168.20.254 255.255.255.0
This switch has enabled rip and igmp query/snooping.

It works fine when both multicast server and multicast client connect vlan1 only.
but does not work when multicast server at vlan1 and multicast client at vlan2.
(ping each other ok).
Does that means I need a switch which support multicast routing protocol?

Thanks,

sy
3 answers Last reply
More about question igmp

    wld wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a switch which support rip and has igmp query/snooping ability.
    > I have config. this switch as follows:
    > vlan1 -- port 1 to 20 vlan ip addr. 192.168.10.254 255.255.255.0
    > vlan2 -- port 21 to 40 vlan ip addr 192.168.20.254 255.255.255.0
    > This switch has enabled rip and igmp query/snooping.
    >
    > It works fine when both multicast server and multicast client connect vlan1 only.
    > but does not work when multicast server at vlan1 and multicast client at vlan2.
    > (ping each other ok).
    > Does that means I need a switch which support multicast routing protocol?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > sy

    Yes, you need a router to route the multicast between vlan1 and vlan2.

    Mirko
    --
    http://www.nwlab.net - Das Netzwerkportal

    Mirko Kulpa <usenet@euro-mail.de> wrote in message news:<ci8lph$8t9$1@news.kamp.net>...
    > wld wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a switch which support rip and has igmp query/snooping ability.
    > > I have config. this switch as follows:
    > > vlan1 -- port 1 to 20 vlan ip addr. 192.168.10.254 255.255.255.0
    > > vlan2 -- port 21 to 40 vlan ip addr 192.168.20.254 255.255.255.0
    > > This switch has enabled rip and igmp query/snooping.
    > >
    > > It works fine when both multicast server and multicast client connect vlan1 only.
    > > but does not work when multicast server at vlan1 and multicast client at vlan2.
    > > (ping each other ok).
    > > Does that means I need a switch which support multicast routing protocol?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > sy
    >
    > Yes, you need a router to route the multicast between vlan1 and vlan2.
    >

    > Mirko

    Thanks,
    I have a rip enabled and ping works between a host on vlan1 and a host
    on vlan2. you mean I need a router which support multicast routing
    protocol.
    right?

    sy

    > Thanks,
    > I have a rip enabled and ping works between a host on vlan1 and a host
    > on vlan2. you mean I need a router which support multicast routing
    > protocol.
    > right?
    >
    > sy

    Yes. Something that supports DVMRP or PIM or the like. (probabably DVMRP
    would be the way to go - easier to set up than PIM)

    Wouldn't have to be a router per se - could be a layer 3 switch that has
    that capability (I think for instance the whole Exetreme Networks
    product line, as well as the 8600 nortel passports all support that)

Switch Support Networking