Factory default

snowman6058

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hello,
I need to back factory backup my new puter. I put 3 disks in and can't start the 4th because it goes back to 1.
Do I have to start all over with 4 new discs?

It would help if we knew the make and model of the computer (different manufacturers do things differently) and what restore system you have. I am confused; I havent' seen a multi-disk install in the last fifteen years. Are these multiple DVDs, multiple CDs, or floppies? Seriously, the last time I saw a multiple-disk OS install was on floppies (and I still have them, for some reason).

Where did these disks come from? Did they come with the computer, or did you use some tool to create them? What version of the OS do you have? How do you know it "goes back to 1?" Is there a message "Please insert disk #1," or does it just fail and require you to start over again?

You can do for yourself the first thing that I will do when I get your reply: go to the manufacturer's site and search support.

snowman6058

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

It is windows 7 and an accer. I went and bought 4 more discs to do a factory backup. That is what they do now for a new puter.

I may have misunderstood the first post. I assumed that the system was damaged and you needed to restore to the factory state. Now it sounds like this is a new machine and you are backing up its current state for future recovery, if needed. Which is right?
If you are backing it up, what backup program and what kind of discs (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, external hard drive, ...)?
Edit - some backup processes require you to re-insert the first disk last for it to write a catalog.

TRENDING THREADS