DNS is not responding to the queries properly.

Hi,
I have to DNS servers which are running fine but suddenly they stop
repondong to the queries. If I stop the service nd restart it. Again they
start working fine. when they stop working and i do a nslookup and try to
query for any domain it comes back with out reply then only I would know that
the DNS is not working, otherwise the service ooks runnin doesnot show any
error in the event viewer. I am trying to resolve this from past six months
and tired of it. please help me.
8 answers Last reply
More about responding queries properly

    Are you saying you have TWO (2) DNS servers that
    both stop responding at the same time???

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    In news:DE177BD7-A941-410E-92D2-137ED2D2E081@microsoft.com,
    avi <avi@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hi,
    > I have to DNS servers which are running fine but suddenly they stop
    > repondong to the queries. If I stop the service nd restart it. Again
    > they start working fine. when they stop working and i do a nslookup
    > and try to query for any domain it comes back with out reply then
    > only I would know that the DNS is not working, otherwise the service
    > ooks runnin doesnot show any error in the event viewer. I am trying
    > to resolve this from past six months and tired of it. please help me.

    If this is Windows 2003, see this:

    830381 - Server Responsiveness Degrades and Queries Time Out When You Run
    the DNS Server Service:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830381

    830905 - DNS Intermittently Stops Resolving Some Host Names:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=830905

    If not, please elaborate.

    Thanks

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    G O E A G L E S !!!
    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    Hi

    What operating system?

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "avi" <avi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have to DNS servers which are running fine but suddenly they stop
    > repondong to the queries. If I stop the service nd restart it. Again they
    > start working fine. when they stop working and i do a nslookup and try to
    > query for any domain it comes back with out reply then only I would know
    > that
    > the DNS is not working, otherwise the service ooks runnin doesnot show any
    > error in the event viewer. I am trying to resolve this from past six
    > months
    > and tired of it. please help me.

    Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply.

    I am using Windows 2000 server. Let me explain what happens once in a while
    I get a complaint from my employees saying their clients didnot receive the
    email they sent then I go in to my exchange server and see there is a queue
    piled up. I thought in the begining it's a problem with my exchange but
    finally found that it's the DNS server which is not working properly. DNS
    server does not show any error in the event viewer but internally it stops
    resolving the names. I noticed it when I did nslookup and tried to query I
    noticed there is no reply from DNS server. Then if I stop the DNS service and
    restart it everything works fine. No errors. But again you will never know
    suddenly the error comes back. I have two DNS servers , I tried switching to
    the second DNS but again the second DNS came back with same error. I am not
    understanding whats killing the DNS internally. You will not know till you do
    a nslookup and query the DNS.
    Please let me know if any one has any ideas.
    Thank you

    "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > What operating system?
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > "avi" <avi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I have to DNS servers which are running fine but suddenly they stop
    > > repondong to the queries. If I stop the service nd restart it. Again they
    > > start working fine. when they stop working and i do a nslookup and try to
    > > query for any domain it comes back with out reply then only I would know
    > > that
    > > the DNS is not working, otherwise the service ooks runnin doesnot show any
    > > error in the event viewer. I am trying to resolve this from past six
    > > months
    > > and tired of it. please help me.

    In news:9E9A420F-BB56-46D0-A392-62E9FE30A6D8@microsoft.com,
    avi <avi@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi,
    > Sorry for the late reply.
    >
    > I am using Windows 2000 server. Let me explain what
    > happens once in a while I get a complaint from my
    > employees saying their clients didnot receive the email
    > they sent then I go in to my exchange server and see
    > there is a queue piled up. I thought in the begining it's
    > a problem with my exchange but finally found that it's
    > the DNS server which is not working properly. DNS server
    > does not show any error in the event viewer but
    > internally it stops resolving the names. I noticed it
    > when I did nslookup and tried to query I noticed there is
    > no reply from DNS server. Then if I stop the DNS service
    > and restart it everything works fine. No errors. But
    > again you will never know suddenly the error comes back.
    > I have two DNS servers , I tried switching to the second
    > DNS but again the second DNS came back with same error. I
    > am not understanding whats killing the DNS internally.
    > You will not know till you do a nslookup and query the
    > DNS.
    > Please let me know if any one has any ideas.

    What do you have configured as forwarders on your DNS servers?
    Forward to your ISP, if you use forwarding, do not forward to each other.
    Forwarding to each other will cause a DNS loop and DNS will fail.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Hi avi

    May I suggest re-applying SP4 and failing this, the following hotfix:

    837752 DNS stops responding and consumes 100 percent of processor time when
    you
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837752

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team
    Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com

    "avi" <avi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Sorry for the late reply.
    >
    > I am using Windows 2000 server. Let me explain what happens once in a
    > while
    > I get a complaint from my employees saying their clients didnot receive
    > the
    > email they sent then I go in to my exchange server and see there is a
    > queue
    > piled up. I thought in the begining it's a problem with my exchange but
    > finally found that it's the DNS server which is not working properly. DNS
    > server does not show any error in the event viewer but internally it
    > stops
    > resolving the names. I noticed it when I did nslookup and tried to query I
    > noticed there is no reply from DNS server. Then if I stop the DNS service
    > and
    > restart it everything works fine. No errors. But again you will never know
    > suddenly the error comes back. I have two DNS servers , I tried switching
    > the second DNS but again the second DNS came back with same error. I am
    > not
    > understanding whats killing the DNS internally. You will not know till you
    > do
    > a nslookup and query the DNS.
    > Please let me know if any one has any ideas.
    > Thank you
    >
    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What operating system?
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "avi" <avi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I have to DNS servers which are running fine but suddenly they stop
    >> > repondong to the queries. If I stop the service nd restart it. Again
    >> > they
    >> > start working fine. when they stop working and i do a nslookup and try
    >> > query for any domain it comes back with out reply then only I would
    >> > know
    >> > that
    >> > the DNS is not working, otherwise the service ooks runnin doesnot show
    >> > any
    >> > error in the event viewer. I am trying to resolve this from past six
    >> > months
    >> > and tired of it. please help me.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Hi,
    I have only my ISPs IP listed in the forwarders,

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:9E9A420F-BB56-46D0-A392-62E9FE30A6D8@microsoft.com,
    > avi <avi@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Hi,
    > > Sorry for the late reply.
    > >
    > > I am using Windows 2000 server. Let me explain what
    > > happens once in a while I get a complaint from my
    > > employees saying their clients didnot receive the email
    > > they sent then I go in to my exchange server and see
    > > there is a queue piled up. I thought in the begining it's
    > > a problem with my exchange but finally found that it's
    > > the DNS server which is not working properly. DNS server
    > > does not show any error in the event viewer but
    > > internally it stops resolving the names. I noticed it
    > > when I did nslookup and tried to query I noticed there is
    > > no reply from DNS server. Then if I stop the DNS service
    > > and restart it everything works fine. No errors. But
    > > again you will never know suddenly the error comes back.
    > > I have two DNS servers , I tried switching to the second
    > > DNS but again the second DNS came back with same error. I
    > > am not understanding whats killing the DNS internally.
    > > You will not know till you do a nslookup and query the
    > > DNS.
    > > Please let me know if any one has any ideas.
    >
    > What do you have configured as forwarders on your DNS servers?
    > Forward to your ISP, if you use forwarding, do not forward to each other.
    > Forwarding to each other will cause a DNS loop and DNS will fail.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > with OEBackup:

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Hi,
    I will try doing that in the wekend as I cannot work on it in the weekdays.
    will update you after that
    Thank You

Microsoft DNS Servers Windows