Certain nodes not registering in DNS

Hello!

I've just discovered that the 2 workstaions in my office are not registered
in our ActiveDirectory integrated DNS. I don't understand this. They are
both working fine.

NSLOOKUP via IP or node name returns nothing. Our DNS is dynamic.

My workstations IP addressing is consistent with the rest of our network,
nothing different.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I've tried flushing my dns and
registering my dns. I get the following message:

Registration of DNS failed. The system can not find the specified file.

Thanks!
Mark

"Mark Clout" <netadmin@cityofnorthbay.ca> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I've just discovered that the 2 workstaions in my office are not
> registered
> in our ActiveDirectory integrated DNS. I don't understand this. They are
> both working fine.
>
> NSLOOKUP via IP or node name returns nothing. Our DNS is dynamic.
>
> My workstations IP addressing is consistent with the rest of our network,
> nothing different.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I've tried flushing my dns and
> registering my dns. I get the following message:
>
> Registration of DNS failed. The system can not find the specified file.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

They have DNS pointing to a DC? This is a static config or DHCP?

Matt

Hi Matt.

Yes, I have all three of our DC's in my NIC configuration. We use static
IP's, not DHCP.

Mark

"Matt Anderson" <andersonnoapam@dynedge.com> wrote in message

> "Mark Clout" <netadmin@cityofnorthbay.ca> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've just discovered that the 2 workstaions in my office are not
> > registered
> > in our ActiveDirectory integrated DNS. I don't understand this. They
are
> > both working fine.
> >
> > NSLOOKUP via IP or node name returns nothing. Our DNS is dynamic.
> >
> > My workstations IP addressing is consistent with the rest of our
network,
> > nothing different.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I've tried flushing my dns
and
> > registering my dns. I get the following message:
> >
> > Registration of DNS failed. The system can not find the specified file.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Mark
> >

> They have DNS pointing to a DC? This is a static config or DHCP?
>
> Matt

In news:ugXyOgW2EHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Mark Clout <netadmin@cityofnorthbay.ca> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello!
>
> I've just discovered that the 2 workstaions in my office
> are not registered in our ActiveDirectory integrated DNS.
> I don't understand this. They are both working fine.
>
> NSLOOKUP via IP or node name returns nothing. Our DNS is
> dynamic.
>
> My workstations IP addressing is consistent with the rest
> of our network, nothing different.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I've tried
> flushing my dns and registering my dns. I get the
> following message:
>
> Registration of DNS failed. The system can not find the
> specified file.

Yes, make sure the DHCP client service is running, whether the client is a
DHCP client or not the service is required and is responsible for DNS
registration.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:ugXyOgW2EHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Mark Clout <netadmin@cityofnorthbay.ca> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello!
>
> I've just discovered that the 2 workstaions in my office
> are not registered in our ActiveDirectory integrated DNS.
> I don't understand this. They are both working fine.
>
> NSLOOKUP via IP or node name returns nothing. Our DNS is
> dynamic.
>
> My workstations IP addressing is consistent with the rest
> of our network, nothing different.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I've tried
> flushing my dns and registering my dns. I get the
> following message:
>
> Registration of DNS failed. The system can not find the
> specified file.

Error Message When You Use the IPCONFIG -REGISTERDNS Command:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266319

--

> Hi Matt.
>
> Yes, I have all three of our DC's in my NIC configuration. We use static
> IP's, not DHCP.
>
> Mark

What does ipconfig /registerdns do? (not sure how it works with static
ip's.)

Matt

Thats when I get the error: Registration of DNS record failed. The system
cannot find the file specified.

> "Mark Clout" <netadmin@cityofnorthbay.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi Matt.
> >
> > Yes, I have all three of our DC's in my NIC configuration. We use
static
> > IP's, not DHCP.
> >
> > Mark
> >
> What does ipconfig /registerdns do? (not sure how it works with static
> ip's.)
>
> Matt

That's it! My DHCP client was disabled for some reason. Thanks very much
for all the responses!