Sign in with
Your question

Do 5 1/4" drive bay fans exsist?

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2006 6:24:58 PM

Any word of a bracket or fans/fan setup to draw air into the case via the spare 5 1/4" bays? I'm looking to mod out 3 of my spare face plates to accomodate a 120mm fan for maximum air flow over my motherboard. Any suggestions on current products that are out there are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : drive bay fans exsist

August 17, 2006 6:28:50 PM

Don't know that you can find something like that. I would just do a custom mod using some mesh to cover the openings then put a 120mm fan behind them using some L brackets.

This may work though

http://www.frozencpu.com/hdc-23.html
Related resources
August 17, 2006 6:48:14 PM

hmm I wonder if you could go in there and change the fan direction to pull air into the case... 100cfm sounds great but also loud with fans that small.

He could always get the stacker with the optional crossflow fan as well.
August 17, 2006 6:49:09 PM

Hrmmmm....I did some extensive research on some of the options that are out there but came up empty handed. There is one good looking solution using 2 or 3 slots for one 120mm fan but I can't find it anywhere in Canada. Ebay has some for 25 bucks but they won't take Paypal. I think I may have to make my own design. I'll post pics if I go that route but would still really like some good ideas. Thanks!
August 17, 2006 7:07:48 PM

This may work for you.
August 17, 2006 7:33:50 PM

Quote:
Any word of a bracket or fans/fan setup to draw air into the case via the spare 5 1/4" bays? I'm looking to mod out 3 of my spare face plates to accomodate a 120mm fan for maximum air flow over my motherboard. Any suggestions on current products that are out there are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lots of bay units....search SVC or Newegg.

The other way to get better airflow is remove the rear fan guard (as much as 70% more air out). Also cut out the empty bay covers and cement a metal screen,then put back on the case.

Yo could also just buy a Coolermaster case as they already have all bays with wire and 120mm fans for as low as $44!
August 17, 2006 8:05:57 PM

i am looking at doing the same thing, but would it be possible to swap a more powerful fan into that KAMA bay thing, 800 rpm just does not seem worth it.
August 17, 2006 8:25:37 PM

Yeah theres plenty of 5 1/4 bay devices that can suck air in.
I personaly use the Hard drive coolers for that purpose.
August 17, 2006 8:52:53 PM

Quote:

Do you know how to use a internet search option?
August 18, 2006 3:16:08 PM

Quote:

Do you know how to use a internet search option?

Do you have a mommy that loves you?
September 12, 2006 10:56:20 AM

OK folks...I bought the Kama Bay and I'll let you all know how it works as soon as it arrives and is installed...

It takes up three 5 1/4" bays when mounted vertically. We'll see if the included fan (~800RPM) will suffice. I'll post pictrures aswell. When I was looking at these things I was skeptical about the silver finish and if it would match the Lian Li case. I was hunting for pics but couldn't find any. Hopefully some people who have the same worry will find this thread useful.

Thanks.
September 12, 2006 1:32:19 PM

Someone out there might make a rectangular squirrel cage fan-based unit, that type of fan would fit nicely in a single 5.25" bay and could move a lot of air quietly. Stacking a few of those would move a lot of air, or you could alternate fans and bay devices for airflow over everything.
September 12, 2006 2:48:18 PM

True...

I've seen those squirrel cages on many sites but they're just so ugly! They also may not fit behind the door on the front of my case. Also, any squirrel cages that I've heard are pretty loud, especially if there are 3 of them. There are some pretty nice 120mm fans out there that could replace the stock fan in the Kama Bay nicely. I also have 3 other 120mm fans in the case plus the PSU fan. After the Kama is installed, I'll have 2 of these fans exhausting out the rear and side, plus the Kama pushing air over the motherboard. The stock 120mm fan ont he bottom pushing air over the HDD and out the PSU will be left the way it's designed.
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 12, 2006 5:23:21 PM

Quote:
I was skeptical about the silver finish and if it would match the Lian Li case.
Thanks.

You could always go to hardware store and buy a can of spray paint. You could turn it into any color you want. BTW, thanks for keeping us updated, I'd love to hear how it turns out. Get temp readings now for CPU and case, I'd like to know if they go down. Were you planning on having it bring in air, or take air out?
!