PSU Hiper Type-R modular 580W?

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
BTW i was just looking at the Mobo i intend to buy (MSI K9N Platinum) and it has a 24 pin adapter, a 4pin for the cpu and a 4 pin for the vga. Is that ATX v2.2? do i need an EPS 8 pin connector or do moder psus come with 2 4pin connectors?

indagda

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I bought one a few months ago for a new build, but it ended up being unuseable in my current build because of the 4pin 12v connector. The AM2 motherboard I bought needs an 8pin. They mention this on the product website, but this little tidbit wasn't there when I made my purchase.
That aside the PS fit in the case nicely and the modular cables are truely a blessing. Just attach the ones you are going to use, makes for alot less clutter.

koolaidkitten

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I have it and love it to death.
My board needed an 8pin 12v, I just went and bought a molex to 8pin 12v adapter and it seems to be working fine.
My board is pretty damn demanding of a good PSU to go with it.

However if you plan on doing a very serious machine *SLI lots of HardDrives* I'm not really sure if I would trust it. Not that it looks like it would cripple or anything, I'm just not used to this new manufacturer.
To tell the truth I usually dont sway away from OCZ - Enermax - or FSP Powersupplies. I just bought this one cause its plain sexy andl ooks well with the case its in.

But if your machine isnt too much more beffier than my own I think its a great buy. Been using it for about 6 months. Rock solid stable voltage rails.

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
luckilly i was wrong. That Mobo has 24pin + 4pin power and an additional molex 4pin for stable VGA it seems. Now the only thing giving me second thoughts is that it has rather mediocre efficiency, barelly over 70 from a review i read. Dawm it pisses me off that i cant find the enermax liberty here.

Diabetic1

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Truth be told I have bad experiences with this PSU.

After a week of use, during a game of Ghost Recon my system crash and then would no longer switch on. The power supply had just completely died.

I sent the PSU back, was refunded, and then bought an Enermax and have been running smooth ever since.

However, don't be discouraged by this one failure, every component ever made is bound to have a few (hundred) models 'bust'.

nategarst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I dont have any experience with these PSU, but from what I have read, they are not a new company. They have been in Europe and UK for a while and they have just recently been on the US market. I have heard they are reputable company, but it best if you do additional research on them first.

grizzman

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I have had this PSU for 3 months now and have had no problems. Its been rock solid and the voltages are rock solid as well. The modular cables sytem is a blessing and makes my case look virtually empty the way you easily route these cables. My only complaint is the poor manual. I would buy one of these again in a heatbeat.

koolaidkitten

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I have had this PSU for 3 months now and have had no problems. Its been rock solid and the voltages are rock solid as well. The modular cables sytem is a blessing and makes my case look virtually empty the way you easily route these cables. My only complaint is the poor manual. I would buy one of these again in a heatbeat.

You read the manuals? 8O

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. Since its unlikely ill find the enermax liberty 500W, ill probably pick this one up. Gonna make my pc look dawm fine too

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I've had one for around 5 months now, and its bee rock solid since installation. The cables are nicely pre-sleeved, and the connectros are of the larger easy-grip type, which makes it less of a struggle to remove tight molex from sockets.

Power output hasnt been stressed, but from what I've heard, approaching 100% isnt a good idea with these units, as they tend to make some serious nose, and not from the fans either. Mind you, if you check the specs in the sig, you'll see my system is barely a challange for it anyway.

All in all, other than the 100% load issue, its a good all round PSU, and I would reccommend it. Just dont overstress it too much.